LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 323 users in the forums

MAV MOCK! Pre-combine v1.0

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
I see where your coming from. But I think what myself and maybe some other posters are saying is we're gonna add an extra TE in place of a WR. IMO it doesn't matter what position a player is but as long as he can open up the offense. I'm also not very comfortable with the WR's that will probably be available at pick 30.

Case in point right there, after the top 3 go (Blackmon, Floyd, and Wright) there is a significant increase in bust potential and if the team chose a WR at 30, it would reek of a need pick rather than BPA... We would be getting at best the 4th rated WR compared to Fleener, who is arguably the #1 TE.

Due to the horrible history of WR's drafted in the first round, taking Fleener and moving Walker to H-back adds more to this offense than any WR available at 30. Norris will not be on the team next year so give his roster spot to Walker and bring in Fleener as the #3 TE. Walker no longer would hit the TE salary bucket, and if Miller gets hurt, both Walker and Byham can fill in capably at FB while still allowing for 2TE packages.

Yet another great rationale for picking Fleener. It just makes sense on so many levels. It would make the entire offense stronger because...

1) The running game gets a boost due to standard double TE sets for better overall blocking and more versatile play calling.
2) The opposing defense would be at a great disadvantage trying to account for both Vernon Davis and Fleener.....both being huge receiving threats (see NE Pats and NO Saints this season).
3) Fleener already knows the offense so would hit the ground running and contribute immediately (unlike the vast majority of rookie WRs)
4) The team adds depth at FB and HB by moving Walker, who is an undersized TE, to a position more fitting to his size and skill set.
5) Since both TEs would be receiving threats, it is unlikely any of the WRs will draw double coverage, allowing them to make more plays.

Yes, Virginia....we have found a solution to the Niners' offensive offense....and his name is Fleener.

Cheers!

I also love this thinking.

Thanks oldman... I've always respected your opinion....

Cheers!
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by midrdan:
Every body seems to think that Fleener will be there at 30. This is a copycat league and TE is becoming the celebrity position. How is the No. 1 TE falling to 30 when a lot of teams need a No. 1 TE and a lot more teams will be willing to go with 2 stud TEs after watching what the Patriots did this year? Fleener will likely be gone by the late teens assuming he runs as fast at the combine as he is projected to.

Just heard Matt Mayock on a conference call saying that he doesn't have a single TE in this draft with a first round grade. Just saying.

Now....the likely reason for this is that this draft is just loaded with excellent DT, WR, and interior OL prospects...so it is these guys that are pushing down other prospects who would have been considered number one draft picks in other years.

The point being that with so many good linemen available in the first round, teams are more likely to grab those guys rather than a TE who grades out at the end of the first round.

Cheers!

I like Mayock and generally trust his grades. I'm not saying don't draft Fleener if he's there at 30, but I just didn't think he would be. However if the draft is that deep at DT, WR, and OL it seems we would go that route given that OL and WR are huge positions of need and D-Line depth is lacking.
Originally posted by midrdan:
I like Mayock and generally trust his grades. I'm not saying don't draft Fleener if he's there at 30, but I just didn't think he would be. However if the draft is that deep at DT, WR, and OL it seems we would go that route given that OL and WR are huge positions of need and D-Line depth is lacking.

True...but...what the Niners really need on offense is playmakers...no matter what position they play. Plus, the fact that the draft has such depth at those positions means the team doesn't need to draft any of those positions in the first round. In other words, they can afford to be patient and get a good wideout, OG or D-line prospect in the second round or later....leaving Fleener (hopefully) there for them.

Most teams have multiple needs and normally would not place a high priority on getting a TE in the first round (unless that is the one weakness the team has on the offense). That is not the case with the vast majority of teams.

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone