LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Thoughts on Brian Quick?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brian+quick&oq=brian+quick&aq=f&aqi=g9&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=446l5213l0l5555l19l18l4l1l1l0l233l2394l0.7.6l13l0

Is Quick not rated as high because he goes to a small school? The guy looks like a baller. A TO with better hands, but maybe not the top end speed. He's also got great balance.

If this guy rounds a "quick" 40 time....I think his stock rises.
3rd best receiver to me in the entire draft. And possibly has the best upside period! 6'4, 224 with great hands and unbelivable moves. He's super tall, hands like glue, and runs like a darting tailback after the catch. Minus the fact he doesn't have top end speed he's a freak of nature. Hell Jerry Rice and T.O. had horrible 40times. But there game speed is unmatched and that applies to Brian Quick as well. God Most High I hope we draft him
the talent appears to be abunddant but how quickly will he be ready to contribute, being from a small school playing questionable teams (elon, citadel, samford etc)--id like to see niners get a wr who will win a starting job in 2012
There is a lot that I like about a lot of the WR's in this draft, but Brian Quick is quickly(no pun inteded) becoming one of my favorites. I really like his size an physicality. I like many others have been longing for the next T.O.(big, strong,fast enough) since he left. Quick may prove to have that type of ability. I have been taking a hard look at Quick and Dwight Jones because they flash that ability. Lets hope the get one of them in the 2nd or 3rd round.
  • darum
  • Veteran
WRs like Quick are often big risks in the NFL. He has had a huge physical advantage over the small time defenders hes been up against during his college career and thus hasnt really needed to really on his route running. Being in an option offense with a limited route tree also hurts. This guy isnt going to be an every down WR from day 1, he will need a lot of work until he is really ready to shine in the NFL. Very important that our front office does its homework and make sure this guy is capable and willing to learn real WR skills.
Originally posted by darum:
WRs like Quick are often big risks in the NFL. He has had a huge physical advantage over the small time defenders hes been up against during his college career and thus hasnt really needed to really on his route running. Being in an option offense with a limited route tree also hurts. This guy isnt going to be an every down WR from day 1, he will need a lot of work until he is really ready to shine in the NFL. Very important that our front office does its homework and make sure this guy is capable and willing to learn real WR skills.

I don't know how much of a risk. He is going to be drafted, what? In the 3rd round? That seems like a pretty good balance of risk vs reward to me. Plus, and maybe this isn't the best example Demaryius Thomas came from a similar offense and was selected in round 1. Now Thomas hasn't done a ton yet statisicly, but it really looked like the light was coming on toward the end of the year. Quick is quickly(no pun intended) becoming one of my favorite guys. I hope we get him. I like his size and potential to be a T.O. type of player, and as you will see here unlike some that will be in this draft, the guy seems willing to do the work it will take to be great.

I dont' know about you, but this is what I want from our next Wr. big play ability. I'm not saying that he be the only guy that we acquire this offseason. Maybe we can also get some one in fa that would allow him or whatever Wr to develop at their own pace, or Qick could surprise. I remember there being a buzz around T.O. in 96 when he was still an unkown rookie. This guy might be something similar.

The man is a G and he is projected as a 3rd rounder...He will surely be the steal of the draft cuz i dont see him amazing people at the combine with speed but he has everything else
  • darum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I don't know how much of a risk. He is going to be drafted, what? In the 3rd round? That seems like a pretty good balance of risk vs reward to me. Plus, and maybe this isn't the best example Demaryius Thomas came from a similar offense and was selected in round 1. Now Thomas hasn't done a ton yet statisicly, but it really looked like the light was coming on toward the end of the year. Quick is quickly(no pun intended) becoming one of my favorite guys. I hope we get him. I like his size and potential to be a T.O. type of player, and as you will see here unlike some that will be in this draft, the guy seems willing to do the work it will take to be great.

I dont' know about you, but this is what I want from our next Wr. big play ability. I'm not saying that he be the only guy that we acquire this offseason. Maybe we can also get some one in fa that would allow him or whatever Wr to develop at their own pace, or Qick could surprise. I remember there being a buzz around T.O. in 96 when he was still an unkown rookie. This guy might be something similar.

I would agree that the end of the 3rd round would be pretty good value from my viewpoint, end of 4th would be great, but its not like i have seen his scouting tape or anything and i would prefer we stay away from 1st or 2nd round picks on WRs unless we are very confident in them. Demaryius Thomas so far has been pretty inconsistent. He got a ton of yardage at the end of last year on deep fades and posts, but to be a reliable threat you need to have a much more diverse route tree.

TO was a great player and had some nice physical tools, but he was only great because he outworked almost everyone. Staying in top shape, catching balls every day, and always improving his routes was what made him truly special, not his 40 time. Look at the GOAT, Jerry Rice. How big and fast was he? Jerry Rice was the greatest of all time and a huge playmaker because he was the hardest worker of all time. I think a lot of people get caught up with measurables when they look at WRs when it is my opinion that they are the position that is second most dependent on the intangible stuff (behind QBs). This isnt stuff that casual fans can really judge, potential NFL players know that everything they say will be scrutinized and are coached up on proper interview etiquette. Scouting departments need to look at who these guys hang out with, what they do with their free time, and try to gauge how deep their passion for the game goes. I trust out front office to be thorough and will be happy with whomever we draft as long as they continue to excel at making smart offseason moves.

There is a reason that WR has the highest bust rate in the early rounds. Being big and fast guarantees nothing. 6'6 guys can play small and 5'11 guys can play big. Its hard for me to get excited over any WR prospects, and right now this guy isnt any different. (although one thing i can get behind on this guy is his blocking skills. very willing blocker coming from an option offense and no one has brought it up yet)
i really wanna come out the draft with either quick, hill or streeter
when im watching these college WR highlights, i like to see if the receiver uses his hands to catch the ball or his body. Quick damn near made every catch with his hands. he also attacks the ball instead of waiting for the ball to arrive. im impressed

• sfout
  • Veteran
Quick is easily going to be the best value pick when all is said and done. I'm firmly set that he is the receiver we should focus on in the draft.
Originally posted by darum:
I would agree that the end of the 3rd round would be pretty good value from my viewpoint, end of 4th would be great, but its not like i have seen his scouting tape or anything and i would prefer we stay away from 1st or 2nd round picks on WRs unless we are very confident in them. Demaryius Thomas so far has been pretty inconsistent. He got a ton of yardage at the end of last year on deep fades and posts, but to be a reliable threat you need to have a much more diverse route tree.

TO was a great player and had some nice physical tools, but he was only great because he outworked almost everyone. Staying in top shape, catching balls every day, and always improving his routes was what made him truly special, not his 40 time. Look at the GOAT, Jerry Rice. How big and fast was he? Jerry Rice was the greatest of all time and a huge playmaker because he was the hardest worker of all time. I think a lot of people get caught up with measurables when they look at WRs when it is my opinion that they are the position that is second most dependent on the intangible stuff (behind QBs). This isnt stuff that casual fans can really judge, potential NFL players know that everything they say will be scrutinized and are coached up on proper interview etiquette. Scouting departments need to look at who these guys hang out with, what they do with their free time, and try to gauge how deep their passion for the game goes. I trust out front office to be thorough and will be happy with whomever we draft as long as they continue to excel at making smart offseason moves.

There is a reason that WR has the highest bust rate in the early rounds. Being big and fast guarantees nothing. 6'6 guys can play small and 5'11 guys can play big. Its hard for me to get excited over any WR prospects, and right now this guy isnt any different. (although one thing i can get behind on this guy is his blocking skills. very willing blocker coming from an option offense and no one has brought it up yet)

Great Post. Agree with everything you said.

I would definitely prefer taking Quick in the 3rd rather than taking Floyd, Jeffery, or Sanu in the 1st. Depending on how he works out at the combine and his pro day, Quick has the potential to really rise up the draft boards. I would use a 2nd round pick on him in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Great Post. Agree with everything you said.

I would definitely prefer taking Quick in the 3rd rather than taking Floyd, Jeffery, or Sanu in the 1st. Depending on how he works out at the combine and his pro day, Quick has the potential to really rise up the draft boards. I would use a 2nd round pick on him in a heartbeat.

I like Quick in the 3rd. But I would also take Sanu or Jeffery in the first. As I have stated before we have a LARGe hole at WR. And considering that this draft is as deep in big talented WR as its been in years I say we need to get two in this draft, one in the first and another in a later round. I know many disagree with that but I think we our scoring woes and redzone inefficiencies had much to do with lack of options at WR, as our current WR corps wasn't a real threat to secondaries 2011. So, Sanu or Jeffery in the first (I prefer Sanu) and another WR somewhere else in the draft.
If we can get quick in the 3rd I'll be jumping for joy. I like him better than Jeffrey and better than Floyd, because the guy has more speed than either one. I don't think those guy are worth a number 1. Kendall Wright, Blackmon Sanu I think are first round picks.

Your routes don't have to be as good if you are 6 5.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/162022-brian-quick-appalachian-state/search=quick

Mods, combine the 2 threads?
Share 49ersWebzone