There are 186 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lamar Miller, RB, The "U"

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm not saying we should draft a RB 1st round. In fact, I argued against it in the first part of my post.

I know injuries are a part of the game, but you can't compare our RB situation with our LT and MLB situation. Staley and Willis are young and haven't even reached the prime of their careers yet. Gore is past his prime, has shown signs of wearing down, and is prone to injury. I love him to death and want him to stay a 49er until the end. However, he is at the age were RB's start to decline dramatically. We are in Super Bowl contention, and we can't afford to not have a back-up plan if Gore is ineffective or injured next year.

I think drafting a RB (not a change of pace runner) somewhere in rounds 2-4 would be a good move. It's time to plan for life without Gore.

I guess it all depends on how big of a role we think Kendall Hunter can play. I think he can be a Ray Rice type of player. The guy ran for almost 500 yards as a rookie. I think he can carry the load quite easily if Gore goes down.

I guess where we will be drafting a RB will all depend on what we do in free agency and how many needs we need to fill through the draft. In a perfect world, we go into the draft with our roster set and we can take the BPA at any position (OT, MLB not included) and if that player happens to be a RB then so be it. Although I cant see us spending a 1st on a RB. A 2nd is another story though.
Really hunter a ray rice back? Yeah I don't know about that. But what is true is the fact that people need to be aware we have to plan for life without gore. And I'm guessing gore wears down completely this year, unfortunately, but we have to be ready. Maybe a trade back isn't out of the question. But miller is the second best rb in the draft and we should absolutely target him on day one or day two.
Originally posted by D-Money:
Really hunter a ray rice back? Yeah I don't know about that. But what is true is the fact that people need to be aware we have to plan for life without gore. And I'm guessing gore wears down completely this year, unfortunately, but we have to be ready. Maybe a trade back isn't out of the question. But miller is the second best rb in the draft and we should absolutely target him on day one or day two.

if he came next year he would be a 4th round pick maybe and like the 6th back taken

this year RB class is pathethic apart from rrichardson who is an elite prospect and will go top 10

next years RB and S class is strong and thats when we will take a S and RB

this year we need offensive playmakkers and maybe a CB and OLB
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I want him if he runs below a 4.3. The 49ers can get quality running backs with average measurables in later rounds but a 215 pound every down back with elite speed is worth the pick in the 49ers run first offense.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
I want him if he runs below a 4.3. The 49ers can get quality running backs with average measurables in later rounds but a 215 pound every down back with elite speed is worth the pick in the 49ers run first offense.

If he runs below a 4.3 i'm guessing he's gone in the first 20 picks.
Originally posted by D-Money:

Couldn't agree with you more. Gore wore down big time last year and his 100 yard 5 game stretch was more due to the jumbo packages Harbaugh was introducing to the league. After teams figured it out, Gores production went down. Also, I think Hunter averaged more yards per carry in the same strech.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by 23zack80:

If he runs below a 4.3 i'm guessing he's gone in the first 20 picks.

I completely agree with that after what Chris Johnson has done. All I'm saying is he's only worth a first if he runs like Chris Johnson. Running backs are dime a dozen, I'd rather the 49ers go after backs later in the draft who can be part of a rotation post Gore. I'd like a guy like Hillman or Turbin later in the draft or an undrafted guy like Alvester Alexander out of Wyoming to put on the practice squad for a year or two while Gore is still a top ten back. I like a lot of backs in this draft but I think the team waits until Gore is done to pick up another early running back.
He won't make it to us regardless. I see the Bengals taking him with one of their 1st round picks.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
He won't make it to us regardless. I see the Bengals taking him with one of their 1st round picks.

lamar miller isnt a 1st round prospect in my eyes if he came out in next years draft class he would be a 3rd round pick hes just coming out in a weak class
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

lamar miller isnt a 1st round prospect in my eyes if he came out in next years draft class he would be a 3rd round pick hes just coming out in a weak class

I don't think he'd be a 3rd round prospect next year. He could've progressed even more than he did this past season.
I don't think he'd be a 3rd round prospect next year. He could've progressed even more than he did this past season.

what i mean was if lamar miller this year came out in next years draft class
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

what i mean was if lamar miller this year came out in next years draft class

oh ok. Possibly. Next year's class is stacked.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home