LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 145 users in the forums

Lamar Miller, RB, The "U"

He should be our pick if he's there at #30. The problem is I think he'll go top 15 after the combine. This kid Would be a steal at 30. I know we need a wide receiver, but unless Floyd or Wright drop to 30 I'll take a pass on any other wideout at this spot. Look Frank Gore was sweet for six games in the middle of the season and then steadily declined at the end. I like frank gore a lot but he cannot be depended on to be the #1 rb for an entire season. Hunter is not an every down back. And I like the new two back (3 with gore) system in the NFL today. Miller can solely ease into the roll of being the number one back with frank gore getting 10-12 carries a game, and the same for hunter. Both being from the "U", should help the transition.
Lamar Miller- (pros) home run speed, sure hands, great cut back ability, one cut-goodbye- touchdown,very very good vision, great pass catcher, experienced kick returner,good since of where the first down marker is, but what impressed me the most is his yards after contact. Much like frank gore, miller hardly ever gets tackled by the first tackler, and seems to break off2-3 big runs a game.He's constantly bouncing forward off of would be tacklers and all (alright not all) but most of his runs are for positive yards.
(cons)-he will not be the short yardage back. He has very little pass blocking experience. Yeah I wouldn't want him at 30 if I could think of anymore.

This kid will be good in the pros and I really hope the niners select him if he' available, but I expect his 40 time to push him in the top 15.
we have a draft forum to discuss prospects

and i completely disagree

we lack playmakers on the recieving end we are fine at RB art least for 1 more season
We are not fine at rb , as much as I like gore and hunter , they will not hold up next season unfortunately. And this is the draft forum, thanks.
I think another RB is needed, maybe as high as 2nd round, but 1st round is pushing it. We have more pressing needs and the value just isn't there to take a RB #30 overall. Plenty of quality RB's available later on.

I do think we need to be proactive in finding a replacement for Gore. I see him being effective for 1 or 2 more years. Anything after that is gravy. Hunter is solid, but his size will keep him from being our featured runner. He doesn't have a Ray Rice body type to make up for his short stature.

Gore's production could fall off at any moment, which makes RB a need. A Hunter/Dixon combo is not going to get the job done if something happens to Gore.
Originally posted by D-Money:
We are not fine at rb , as much as I like gore and hunter , they will not hold up next season unfortunately. And this is the draft forum, thanks.

Strong crystal ball. A RB is definitely a need down the road, but 49ers have a bigger need for a true playmaker on offense, whether that is a WR or TE. Also, a more pressing need would be OLB if Brooks leaves and potentially CB or FS. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on a RB in round 4 or 5 however.
SofaKing- I can respect what your saying and agree with wr and guard IMO being more pressing needs. But when gore's production slips, do you really think a 5th round rb, Hunter, and Dixon will get it done( in the playoffs)?
We have to be able to run the ball guys. Our passing game revolves around our running game, not the other way around. We got very lucky with having limited injuries last year. I like completing the backfield now, not next year if after an ineffective running game. We got to the championship game with this formula, I don't expect it to change.
SofaKing- I can respect what your saying and agree with wr and guard IMO being more pressing needs. But when gore's production slips, do you really think a 5th round rb, Hunter, and Dixon will get it done( in the playoffs)?
We have to be able to run the ball guys. Our passing game revolves around our running game, not the other way around. We got very lucky with having limited injuries last year. I like completing the backfield now, not next year if after an ineffective running game. We got to the championship game with this formula, I don't expect it to change.

Nope, I don't think Hunter & Dixon is enough to get it done if something happens to Gore. I just think 1st round is too high for a RB considering our needs. Unless you have a chance at an elite prospect (Adrian Peterson, Trent Richardson), it's not worth a 1st rounder. Quality RB's are a dime a dozen and can be found throughout the draft. Rounds 2 through 4 are great spots to land a quality RB.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
we have a draft forum to discuss prospects

and i completely disagree

we lack playmakers on the recieving end we are fine at RB art least for 1 more season

Yeah, i think we can get at least one more solid year out of Frank, two may be pushing it. I think next year is the year where we need to take a RB relatively high in the draft, one that will work with Frank and Kendall, and eventually be the replacement for Frank. I don't think this is the year to do that. It's way to early to talk about next years draft, but fyi Montee Ball is coming out next year. Just sayin.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Feb 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM ]
Gore and Hunter are a good combo for next year. Hunter will be even better with a year of development underneath him. We can get a workhorse back and future star in 2013 (although I still think Hunter has the potential to be an everydown guy).

This year's RB class is weak. But check out 2013's -- It's excellent. Probably 5-8 potential 1st-2nd round talents in that eligible class.

1. Montee Ball, Wisconsin
2. LeVeon Bell, Michigan St.
3. Marcus Coker, Stony Brook (Transferred from Iowa due to rules violations, but has extreme talent)
4. Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
5. Michael Dyer, Auburn
6. Kenjon Barner, Oregon
7. Johnathan Franklin, UCLA
8. Eddie Lacey, Alabama
9. Stepfon Taylor, Stanford
10. Joseph Randle, Oklahoma St.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Gore and Hunter are a good combo for next year. Hunter will be even better with a year of development underneath him. We can get a workhorse back and future star in 2013 (although I still think Hunter has the potential to be an everydown guy).

This year's RB class is weak. But check out 2013's -- It's excellent. Probably 5-8 potential 1st-2nd round talents in that eligible class.

1. Montee Ball, Wisconsin
2. LeVeon Bell, Michigan St.
3. Marcus Coker, Stony Brook (Transferred from Iowa due to rules violations, but has extreme talent)
4. Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
5. Michael Dyer, Auburn
6. Kenjon Barner, Oregon
7. Johnathan Franklin, UCLA
8. Eddie Lacey, Alabama
9. Stepfon Taylor, Stanford
10. Joseph Randle, Oklahoma St.
Dyer transferred to Arkansas St. after Gus Malzahn became the HC there.

we need a ground and pound RB...not another small back, we already have hunter

doug martin is the only guy i would take past the first round and definitely i agree that we should not waste a 1st on a RB esp. lamar miller

plus miller is projected to be 2-3 round
We need a RB real bad. They keep taking Gore out in the playoffs and putting in backups. If people can't see it I don't know what to say. He's is worn down, older and often injured. We really NEED a RB. It's not a maybe propisition. I'm ok with not doing it in the 1st round. But we need to pick one up. Dixon is worthless and Hunter is a small change of pace. But not an every down back.
Wow, I guess I can't be too surprised no one else is on board with this. I just like to look one year ahead instead of being one year behind. I haven't seen anybody have miller in the third?, only in the middle of the second round and above. There is no receiver worth this pick after Floyd or Wright. I'm hoping the organization respects the rb position enough to realize it needs depth at the least and a new gamebreaking "playmaker" like Miller for THIS year and in the future.
Wow, I guess I can't be too surprised no one else is on board with this. I just like to look one year ahead instead of being one year behind. I haven't seen anybody have miller in the third?, only in the middle of the second round and above. There is no receiver worth this pick after Floyd or Wright. I'm hoping the organization respects the rb position enough to realize it needs depth at the least and a new gamebreaking "playmaker" like Miller for THIS year and in the future.

I wouldn't be against it dude, as long as he's BPA no problem with it. Especially if we've addressed the WR spot and re-signed Snyder in FA.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think another RB is needed, maybe as high as 2nd round, but 1st round is pushing it. We have more pressing needs and the value just isn't there to take a RB #30 overall. Plenty of quality RB's available later on.

I do think we need to be proactive in finding a replacement for Gore. I see him being effective for 1 or 2 more years. Anything after that is gravy. Hunter is solid, but his size will keep him from being our featured runner. He doesn't have a Ray Rice body type to make up for his short stature.

Gore's production could fall off at any moment, which makes RB a need. A Hunter/Dixon combo is not going to get the job done if something happens to Gore.

Joe Staley could get hurt. Willis might break his ankle. Does this mean we should draft a LT or MLB in round 1? No chance.

Injuries happen and as it stands we have a very good backup in Kendall Hunter who is ready to carry more of the load next season. Gore broke down towards the end of the season but that was because we relied on him too much at the beginning of the season.

I agree we need a RB to replace Dixon but remember Gore was a 3rd round pick and Hunter was a 4th round pick. There is ZERO chance we take a RB in the 1st round to be our 3rd string and get 2-3 carries per game.
Share 49ersWebzone