LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 443 users in the forums

Lamar Miller, RB, The "U"

RB is a low priority this year. The team is going to need to plug free agency holes, and CB will probably be the first round selection, after Rogers leaves.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
RB is a low priority this year. The team is going to need to plug free agency holes, and CB will probably be the first round selection, after Rogers leaves.

Dont say that!

Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Dont say that!

Last contract, and will look for big bucks. I seriously doubt the Niners will match the high bidder. And, I am not sure I will blame them in the end. Tough to throw big money at a guy in his thirties.

Last year was the year to find and throw down money on a high priced free agent corner. The Texans have locked in a young Pro-Bowler in Joseph for a long time. We are back to square one.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM ]
Dont say that!

Last contract, and will look for big bucks. I seriously doubt the Niners will match the high bidder. And, I am not sure I will blame them in the end. Tough to throw big money at a guy in his thirties.

Last year was the year to find and throw down money on a high priced free agent corner. The Texans have locked in a young Pro-Bowler in Joseph for a long time. We are back to square one.

I say we throw the money at a still young Goldson, Franchise Rogers to keep him one more year, draft a corner, let Culliver develop, and then in 2013 have:

CB - Culliver, Brown, Rookie with a year of experience, 2013 Draft pick, Brock or other FA for depth/STs.
FS - Goldson, Rookie, Spillman
SS - Whitner, C.Jones
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Dont say that!

I say we throw the money at a still young Goldson, Franchise Rogers to keep him one more year, draft a corner, let Culliver develop, and then in 2013 have:

CB - Culliver, Brown, Rookie with a year of experience, 2013 Draft pick, Brock or other FA for depth/STs.
FS - Goldson, Rookie, Spillman
SS - Whitner, C.Jones
thing is franchising a cb is a lot of money but we cannot lose rogers. has any team given a 30 yr old cb a ton of money and yrs?? just hope rogers accepts a 4 yr deal

Maybe if we were the Patriots, Saints, or Green Bay, teams that pass to set up the run and truly have elite quarterbacks and an extremely effective passing game. We don't. We run the ball to set up the pass, in order to do this we have to run the ball. RB is not a low priority this year or any year for the 49ers when they are running Harbaugh's offense. Of course FA will change all our draft's needs, but rb is a huge need for us. And once again he will most likely go higher and wont be around when we draft.

And to the guy who watched Miller's game against VT and didn't see anything special out of him? WTF. Sorry dude ,but obviously drafting a talented running back would not be your strength.

All you guys saying next year are going to regret that decision next year.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
RB from The U, therefore he will be good.

but we don't need a RB in the 1st round
Originally posted by SF69ers:
And you still weren't impressed? He showed good vision, quickness, and strength against a tough VTECH defense.

You're right, he shows good vision, and he's got good burst and speed, and I think he should get picked in the first half of the NFL draft, which means you are a pretty damn good running back.

Still, I felt like he rarely created anything extra except with his speed. The first big run he has is when he cuts back all the way across the field, which shows off his great speed, but doesn't really show me his ability to run between the tackles and follow blockers/make cuts in traffic. The same goes for his 2nd big run, where he just runs straight through the defense after the center pancakes his man. A hole big enough to drive a bus through.

I just felt like he went down too easily on contact except when he was already at full speed for me to consider him a 1st rounder, given the low positional value of RB. I consider a guy like Trent Richardson a legit 1st round RB, which isn't fair since Richardson is more like a top half of the 1st round guy. But still, the difference between the 2 guys is night and day. From last year's draft, It's sort of like comparing Titus Young/Jonathan Baldwin to AJ Green/Julio Jones.
I wouldnt mind Miller in the 1st or 2nd if he lasts that long. Hes a very unique RB imo. He can doing pretty much everything in the same style as Gore but might be a touch faster.
RB is a position of importance this off season. I hope the 49ers don't try to find somebody in the later rounds to fill this spot. I would like for the 49ers to get somebody who is good enough to push Dixon and Hunter for playing time. Hunter and Dixon are decent and the 49ers would be lucky to find somebody in the later rounds who will play better than those two.

I dont think we will draft a RB until 5th round at best. If we can get Peyton Hillis at a bargin deal then that could be huge. He fits everything we do and having him, Gore, and Hunter pfffffttttt. Its over. I like Miller ok but I dont think we spend an early round pick on a guy like him.
Agree Miller's a dandy RB...but I'd go with a big WR like Jeffery. We can get a good RB in the later rounds (to wit, Hunter in 4th rd last year).
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Agree Miller's a dandy RB...but I'd go with a big WR like Jeffery. We can get a good RB in the later rounds (to wit, Hunter in 4th rd last year).

ill throw a football through my TV is we draft that big fat and slow Mike Williams looking mother f**ker.
Of the 12 playoff teams, only two (Steelers, Ravens) possessed a leading rusher acquired through the first two rounds of the draft.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think another RB is needed, maybe as high as 2nd round, but 1st round is pushing it. We have more pressing needs and the value just isn't there to take a RB #30 overall. Plenty of quality RB's available later on.

I do think we need to be proactive in finding a replacement for Gore. I see him being effective for 1 or 2 more years. Anything after that is gravy. Hunter is solid, but his size will keep him from being our featured runner. He doesn't have a Ray Rice body type to make up for his short stature.

Gore's production could fall off at any moment, which makes RB a need. A Hunter/Dixon combo is not going to get the job done if something happens to Gore.

Joe Staley could get hurt. Willis might break his ankle. Does this mean we should draft a LT or MLB in round 1? No chance.

Injuries happen and as it stands we have a very good backup in Kendall Hunter who is ready to carry more of the load next season. Gore broke down towards the end of the season but that was because we relied on him too much at the beginning of the season.

I agree we need a RB to replace Dixon but remember Gore was a 3rd round pick and Hunter was a 4th round pick. There is ZERO chance we take a RB in the 1st round to be our 3rd string and get 2-3 carries per game.

I'm not saying we should draft a RB 1st round. In fact, I argued against it in the first part of my post.

I know injuries are a part of the game, but you can't compare our RB situation with our LT and MLB situation. Staley and Willis are young and haven't even reached the prime of their careers yet. Gore is past his prime, has shown signs of wearing down, and is prone to injury. I love him to death and want him to stay a 49er until the end. However, he is at the age were RB's start to decline dramatically. We are in Super Bowl contention, and we can't afford to not have a back-up plan if Gore is ineffective or injured next year.

I think drafting a RB (not a change of pace runner) somewhere in rounds 2-4 would be a good move. It's time to plan for life without Gore.
Share 49ersWebzone