LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

Lamar Miller, RB, The "U"

Alright at least Willisthewall is on board. He would be the BPA at 30 IMHO.
Steve Young, Gore gets hurt every year, and I can really see this coming year being his last.. You're drafting the future feature back, not the back up.
And if the BPA is a MLB or a OT you draft them in round #1.
Originally posted by D-Money:
Steve Young, Gore gets hurt every year, and I can really see this coming year being his last.. You're drafting the future feature back, not the back up.

No you dont. Esecially if you have your starting LT and two starting MLBers all under the age of 30. I agree about Gore. He is probably done after this year but the fact of the matter is, he is still here and is still good for 250+ carries. Plus, we have a backup who needs to get more touches. We can get a RB when Gore is gone but it wont be this offseason.

Miller may be a future feature back but for this season, he would be a backup sitting on the bench when we could have used that 1st round pick on a position of need. Rookie RB's can be plugged in from day 1 and they can make an impact. There is no need to spend a 1st on a RB to start the 2013 season. None at all.

It's not BPA, it's BPA in an area of need.

And a duo of Gore/Hunter will be fine. Spending a 1st on a RB is probably the dumbest idea I have seen on here yet. Seriously.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Feb 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM ]
Man I'd love to have him but idk...taking a RB in the 1st round is really overrated now.
Higher priorities elsewhere. And not sure I agree that Gore/Hunter need help next season.
Steve Young-No wonder Joe Montana thinks your a little Oscar Meyer.
I'll I'm saying is you're gambling with gore and thinking he will be effective with 250+touches. Last year he was hurt and it showed when he ran the ball. Hunter is cool, but like I said having depth at the rb position ( in Harbaugh's offense) is very important. Miller would be very good in our offense so don't overlook it. I know we need a receiver, a guard, etc. but if no one good is there you do take BPA at almost any position, not just need. Your plan=Busts.
If you think Miller could be a future feature back and think Frank Gore will be done after this season. Why Not? Seriously?
Originally posted by D-Money:

Im on board with a RB (posted in other forums) Gore is damn near done. He left to many points on the board this year getting caught from behind and checking in and out of games. RB is a waaayy bigger priorty than people will admit. I mean the D-line has been the strength of the giants for years and that didnt stop them from taking jpp in the mid first... just saying
Originally posted by English:
Higher priorities elsewhere. And not sure I agree that Gore/Hunter need help next season.

Gore had to ask to be taken out of plays all through the last quarter of the season and the postseason. We were fortunate that Gore was able to play all season, but if he had gone down, our running game would've suffered tremendously. Anthony Dixon is not an NFL caliber runningback, which leaves just Gore and Hunter. Either one of those guys goes down, and we will have a serious problem next season (and chances are Gore misses time).

If I had to stake my life on the 49ers drafting one position, it would be the RB position
Originally posted by dhp318:
Gore had to ask to be taken out of plays all through the last quarter of the season and the postseason. We were fortunate that Gore was able to play all season, but if he had gone down, our running game would've suffered tremendously. Anthony Dixon is not an NFL caliber runningback, which leaves just Gore and Hunter. Either one of those guys goes down, and we will have a serious problem next season (and chances are Gore misses time).

If I had to stake my life on the 49ers drafting one position, it would be the RB position

Yes. But not with a 1st round pick.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Yes. But not with a 1st round pick.

Well I wouldn't on Lamar Miller, I'm not impressed with him. But if I had a chance to draft Trent Richardson, I'd absolutely do it. I personally think it's a big need for the team, but as far as RB's go, he's gotta be real special to spend any serious draft capital.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind Lamar Miller in the 1st round. The guy has a lot of talent and I disagree with a few on here that say there's more value at running back in the later rounds. This year's class isn't as good as most. After Doug Martin and Chris Polk, I really don't see anyone else being a potential gem. Lamar Miller has the ability of being an elite back down the road, which is why I don't think he'll even be available.

The only reason why I would pass on him is the same argument that OTC posted. There are a ton more running backs coming out next year. Randle, Coker, Lattimore would look real sweet in a Niner jersey.

this year drafting a RB would be a waste of a pick especially when WR is such a huge need

only way we go WR is we redign brooks rogers alex goldson all out ST guys snyder morgan

and in FA get bowe/Vjax/ colston

even then id rather go with another WR a RG or a pass rusher
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Honestly, I wouldn't mind Lamar Miller in the 1st round. The guy has a lot of talent and I disagree with a few on here that say there's more value at running back in the later rounds. This year's class isn't as good as most. After Doug Martin and Chris Polk, I really don't see anyone else being a potential gem. Lamar Miller has the ability of being an elite back down the road, which is why I don't think he'll even be available.

The only reason why I would pass on him is the same argument that OTC posted. There are a ton more running backs coming out next year. Randle, Coker, Lattimore would look real sweet in a Niner jersey.

I haven't actually watched any Miami games... but I briefly watched these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N8VKNFayec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8lcelGD6A

So I know I don't have a complete view of this guy, but he didn't do anything extraordinary. He sort of seemed to me like a guy that gets yards based on his blocking, doesn't really get any extra yards, or any fewer yards. Sort of an average runner. I didn't see any exceptional explosiveness, physicality, or elusiveness.

I haven't actually watched any Miami games... but I briefly watched these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N8VKNFayec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8lcelGD6A

So I know I don't have a complete view of this guy, but he didn't do anything extraordinary. He sort of seemed to me like a guy that gets yards based on his blocking, doesn't really get any extra yards, or any fewer yards. Sort of an average runner. I didn't see any exceptional explosiveness, physicality, or elusiveness.

Man, if there was a way for you to watch the VTECH game, maybe you might change your mind. Miami's o-line isn't the best, but Miller's explosion when he get's the ball is undeniable. He hits the hole quick and gets to the second level.
Man, if there was a way for you to watch the VTECH game, maybe you might change your mind. Miami's o-line isn't the best, but Miller's explosion when he get's the ball is undeniable. He hits the hole quick and gets to the second level.

hmm that 2nd video is of the VT game, I think it shows every carry?

hmm that 2nd video is of the VT game, I think it shows every carry?

And you still weren't impressed? He showed good vision, quickness, and strength against a tough VTECH defense.
Share 49ersWebzone