49ers resign: Dashon Goldson (4 yr, $24m), Carlos Rogers (4 yr, $28m), Ahmad Brooks (4 yr, $20m), Alex Smith (2 yr, $15m), Adam Snyder (2 yr, $6m), Josh Morgan (4 yr, $15m), Blake Constanzo (2 yr, $2m), Tavares Gooden (2yr, $3m), CJ Spillman (2yr, $4m)
49ers cut/let walk: Moran Norris, Chilo Rachal, Shawntae Spencer, Ted Ginn, Larry Grant
FA: Dwayne Bowe- 8 yr, $80m (structured similar to Nate Clements' contract, more like 6 yrs, $54m)
Draft: Based on our new standard of "Gold Star" players, I tried to target players in each round that match our standards, position needs and that I believe have the ability to make the biggest impact on our roster.
1) Coby Fleener- WR, Stanford (6-6, 244)
Finally, we add to our redzone repertoire with a tall and reliable target with jump ball ability. Between Bowe and Fleener we wil have one of the most potent redzone receiving attacks in the NFL. Fleener and VD would instantly contend for the best TE duo in the NFL and keep NFL defensive coordinators up at night. Fleener possesses everything that VD lacks (hands, route running ability, height, general football intelligence in reading the soft spot in a zone) and would provide the PERFECT compliment to VD. He is familiar with Jim Harbaugh's offense and can instantly contribute to this team and provide Alex Smith a reliable safety blanket.
2) Joe Adams- WR, Arkansas (5-11, 190)
Finally gives us the explosive homerun threat we need on offense. He not only is an explosive wide receiver with elite speed, quickness, and ability to get separation, he also provides a dynamic punt/kick return option to this team. This is a pick that will excite 49er fans for years to come.
3) Trumaine Johnson- CB, Montana (6-2, 204)
Trumaine Johnson fits the mold of the long and athletic, small school corners we love to target. Trumaine may need to refine his skills at the NFL level, but he's got elite ability and if he were to play at a bigger program, he would not be on the board here. Reminds me alot of Jimmy Smith, slightly less skilled but much better character.
4) Michael Brewster- C, Ohio St (6-5, 305).- Brewster was once regarded as a 1st round talent, but inconsistent play and a poor showing in the Senior Bowl sent him plummeting down draftboards. With great ability and frame, we can develop Brewster behind Jonathan Goodwin to be our starter in 2013 (Dan Kilgore and Mike Person to compete at RG)
5) Devon Wylie- WR, Fresno St (5-9, 185)
We draft another wr. Yes this is another wr of smaller stature, but the focus here is wide receivers that possess the skill set to consistently get separation. Wylie looks like a Wes Welker clone (not bc he's white) and a potential future star as a slot wr. Not to mention he brings an added element of KR/PR ability. There will be no shortage of PR capable players on this team.
6) Derek Wolfe- DE, Cincinatti (6-5, 300)
A great developmental defensive end. Will need adjust to the 3-4, but provides a great longterm option to develop behind Justin Smith. Wolfe looked great in the senior bowl. High character, high motor, and a golden star on our draft board.
7) Brandon Lindsey- OLB, Pitt (6-2,250)- Lindsey went from being highly touted, to a draft afterthought. His play is inconsistent, he is not great in any one area of his game, and struggles to get off blocks when engaged. This may be a bit of a stretch, but I'm predicting that come draft day Lindsey will be a significant faller. At this spot he's too good a value to pass up.
QB- Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick. Scott Tolzien
WR- Dwayne Bowe, Michael Crabtree, Joe Adams, Josh Morgan, Devon Wylie, Kyle Williams
TE- Vernon Davis, Coby Fleener, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Anthony Dixon
FB- Bruce Miller
LT: Joe Staley, Alex Boone (swing tackle)
LG- Mike Iupati, Mike Person
C- Jonathan Goodwin, Mike Brewster
RG: Adam Snyder, Daniel Kilgore
RT- Anthony Davis, Alex Boone (swing tackle)
ROLB- Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson
MLB- Patrick Willis, Navoro Bowman, Tavares Gooden, Blake Constanzo
LOLB- Ahmad Brooks, Brandon Lindsey
DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Derek Wolfe, Demarcus Dobbs
DT- Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean Francois
CB- Carlos Rodgers, Chris Culliver, Tarrel Brown, Trumaine Johnson
FS- Dashon Goldson, CJ Spillman, Colin Jones
SS- Donte Whitner, CJ Spillman, Colin Jones
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Feb 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM ]