LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

First Mock Offseason

i will only be doing the first 2 rounds.

Resign- QB Alex Smith
OLB Ahmad Brooks
LB/ST AceBlake Costanzo
WR Josh Morgan 1-year deal
FS Dashon Goldson franchise tag
CB Carlos Rogers

Cuts-Moran Norris, Kyle Williams, Ted Ginn, Chilo Rachal, Madieu Williams, Shawntae Spencer, Justin Peele

Free Agency Signings- WR Marques Colston ( our prize FA signing )
CB Eric Wright

2012 Draft

1st Round- TE Coby Fleener: Fleener and Colston would complete this offense and make it nearly impossible. Colston as the top wideout, with Morgan across from him and Crabs in the slot. It's clear that Harbaugh loves tight ends, and next year, with an offense that has spent an entire offseason learning the full playbook, he will be able to pass more than run. Alex will hopefully be more in sync with his receivers especially with the knowledge gained from staying in the same system for more than 1 year. Fleener, Vernon, Crabtree, Colston, Morgan and Walker is scary....real scary. Along with Gore and Hunter in the back-field

2nd Round- DE Kendall Ryes: Smith is on the wrong side of 30, and McDonald is solid but injury prone and 28. Reyes will provide us with excellent DL depth along with the chance to develop another Smith/McDonald type player. Will also allow the other two to rest during the season with a solid rotation, so the vets can be ready for the playoffs.

im not an expert on our cap situation but IMO, realistically, if we want sign a big FA from another team we will have to give up either brooks, rogers, or goldson
I thought the priority in finding a WR for this offense was getting someone to separate. Yet here we are spending a probable 40M on a guy who runs around a 4.6, and gets passes thrown to him by Drew Brees and has plays called by Sean Peyton.

I like those 2 picks a lot. They don't necessarily fill our greatest needs, but they are both very good football players and fit our system. Although it looks like Reyes is shooting up draft boards after his performance at the Senior Bowl. He might not be around when we pick in the 2nd.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 4, 2012 at 5:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Danny49er1997:
I thought the priority in finding a WR for this offense was getting someone to separate. Yet here we are spending a probable 40M on a guy who runs around a 4.6, and gets passes thrown to him by Drew Brees and has plays called by Sean Peyton.

Colston can get seperation. He's not the fastest guy, but he is a really good route runner and agile for his size. It's more about quick-twitch athleticism than straight line speed.
Think I would rather go with Robert Meachem. He is faster, younger and cheaper.
I really like Colby Fleener in the first, which is where he will go. He will be way hyped depending on his 40 time at the combine. If he runs a 4.6 he is a first founder for sure. I like the Colston pick, and I think he would add a dimension with his height, but I still wonder if he is the kind of guy we are looking for. If we are looking at height advantage and mismatch Colston is perfect, but if speed is what we are looking for he isn't the guy.

Fleener and Colston would present serious matchup issues because of their height advantage alone (which seems to be the trend at the moment in the NFL) and add Davis on to that with Walker, Crabs and Morgan and we have a pretty formidable group to work with.

As for the re-signs, I agree that we need to keep our guys here, which includes all the guys you mentioned plus Snyder and Ginn.

Contrary to the above post, we absolutely have the money to do your mock, but I would leave out Eric Wright, and just look to add some more CB's and S in the draft.

Next year we are going to have to make extensions with a number of guys too like Bowman and T. Brown
  • fan49
  • Veteran
there no way we get fleener. he wont even touch the field 20 % of the time that equels waste of pic. we need a starter. so i dont see it hasppening unless its a wr on offense
Good post and I like the picks.

I think we could do better but I wouldn't complain if it went down like this.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Colston can get seperation. He's not the fastest guy, but he is a really good route runner and agile for his size. It's more about quick-twitch athleticism than straight line speed.

Correction, he runs good routes in the Sean Peyton offense. That wouldn't be the case in Harbaugh's 1950 power running offense.

Do not see that happening
Originally posted by LittleGuys:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Correction, he runs good routes in the Sean Peyton offense. That wouldn't be the case in Harbaugh's 1950 power running offense.

1950's offense? Yes we run a lot but they are creative runs from a variety of angles and formations. Now, Jimmy Raye is the one who ran a 1950's offense and that clearly didn't work. Please don't lump Harbs/Roman's O with Jimmy Raye's.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Think I would rather go with Robert Meachem. He is faster, younger and cheaper.

Me too...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Not a bad start, you should've kept going.
Even if Colston isn't a typical 'burner', he can still run the best routes, will have the best hands on our team, and will use his height and size to be a primary target in our pass game. We don't really need a speed WR in my opinion. Vernon proved to be that guy in the playoffs and he will be used in that sense once again and will also be used as a decoy to open things up for Crabtree, Colston, Fleener and Morgan.
Share 49ersWebzone