LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Janoris Jenkins Bandwagon

Originally posted by valrod33:
I think he means the system they play in

Took system to mean both scheme & franchise which is what Kiper insinuated since he started with "He has a history, but get him in the right system, and you could have a star." What other negative history would he be referring to in order to add that qualifier?
AFC North blog post on ESPN by Jamison Hensley talking about how the 40 time isn't a huge factor for Janoris Jenkins. He mentions that his interviews will carry weight because Jenkins does have some character concerns. Hensley also mentions how Jenkins will be competing against Dre Kirkpatrick for the #2 DB spot on teams draft boards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42711/elite-speed-wont-hurt-these-prospects
  • Dapro
  • Veteran
One AFC executive told Yahoo Sports that he expects at least a handful of teams to remove North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins from their draft boards due to off-field issues.

Jenkins has been arrested three times, was suspended at North Alabama even after being kicked out of Florida, has four children under the age of four, and had an admitted ongoing drug problem as recently as a year ago. "We haven't decided what to do with him," said the AFC exec. "We might take him off our board. I know there will be 3-4 teams that will take him off right away, at least for the first round." Said one NFC executive, "I know this movie. It usually doesn't end well." Added an AFC defensive coordinator, "It's a lot, that's all I can say."
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dapro:
One AFC executive told Yahoo Sports that he expects at least a handful of teams to remove North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins from their draft boards due to off-field issues.

Jenkins has been arrested three times, was suspended at North Alabama even after being kicked out of Florida, has four children under the age of four, and had an admitted ongoing drug problem as recently as a year ago. "We haven't decided what to do with him," said the AFC exec. "We might take him off our board. I know there will be 3-4 teams that will take him off right away, at least for the first round." Said one NFC executive, "I know this movie. It usually doesn't end well." Added an AFC defensive coordinator, "It's a lot, that's all I can say."

WTF? What a waste of a great talent

and 4 kids under 4 years old?

great talent but he'll probably be in jail in a year
[ Edited by ImaMod on Feb 26, 2012 at 9:33 PM ]
NFLdraftscout.com has 2 new mocks out, one from Rob Rang and the other from Dan Brugler. Neither has Janoris Jenkins off the board when we pick at #30.

Is he a candidate for BPA?

Gil Brandt's Hot 100 value board: #15
National Football Press: #20
NFLDraftScout: #35
MadDog Best 50: #13

Average rating: #20

Here is a partial summary from the least appreciative ranking, NFLDraftScout:

Jenkins has that rare combination of instincts, quickness and agility needed to be a truly great cover cornerback. Scouts at the Senior Bowl likened his play to that of several-time All-Pro Asante Samuel (Philadelphia Eagles).

Jenkins flashed his talents in 2010 at Florida when he held two players selected in the top six of last year's draft to an average of 38 yards a game -- Georgia's A. J. Green (No. 4 pick, Cincinnati Bengals) and Alabama's Julio Jones (No. 6 pick, Atlanta Falcons. At the Scouting Combine he was unofficially clocked at 4.46 seconds in 40 yards.

He should be able to step in immediately and cover those pesky slot receivers as well as help as a punt returner.

Covering pesky slot receivers, that would be Victor Cruz gashing us for 127 yards at the NFC Championship game, when guarded by our best corner, Carlos Rogers.

If he passes HarBalke's character tests, I say he is a strong candidate for BPA at #30.

Here is the rest of DraftScout's assessment:
Read & React: Rare anticipatory skills. Sneaks a peek into the backfield and anticipates routes very well. Possesses as good a break on the ball as any cornerback in the country. Will get himself in trouble as he's highly aggressive and thus, susceptible to double-moves, but possesses the quick feet, loose hips and good speed to recover if the quarterback doesn't attack immediately. Quick to react to the run.

Man Coverage: Low, quick backpedal. Loose hips and smooth acceleration. Easily changes directions to mirror receivers. Doesn't have great size, but flashes good physicality in press coverage. Gets a good initial jam on the receiver and has the agility to turn and run downfield.

Zone Coverage: Good awareness for zone coverage. Has a good feel for the receivers and their routes due to film preparation and keeps his eyes trained on the quarterback. Can drift when he sees the quarterback focusing on an area and is therefore susceptible to savvy passers. Quick to react to the thrown pass and converge on the ball.

Closing/Recovery: Very good downhill closing speed due to his willingness to gamble by reading the quarterback's eyes as well as exceptionally quick feet. Times his leap well and has good ball skills for the INT. Can extend and pluck outside of his frame. Good vision and elusiveness for the return.

Run Support: An underrated component to his game. Reads run quickly and isn't afraid to go inside the box. Fights through the receiver block and is willing to take on bigger ballcarriers. Good lateral agility to break down in space.

Tackling: A bit inconsistent in this area, though he's more physical and typically a more reliable open field tackler than most at his position. Will lead with his shoulder trying to make the highlight reel hit and leave himself vulnerable to missed tackles. Will sell out for the PBU/interception and, if he misses, leave the receiver running away from him. Takes good angles in pursuit and breaks down to make the secure stop against elusive athletes in the open field.

Intangibles: Started 37 of 40 games over his career; missing only one (2010 Outback Bowl) due to injury. Showed his toughness by playing through a torn labrum in his right shoulder nearly the entire season. Injury worsened throughout the year, forcing him to miss the Outback Bowl to have surgery to repair it. Arrested in May, 2009 for his role in a fight. Was tasered and originally charged with affray and resisting arrest without violence, both misdemeanors. The affray charge was later dropped. Was arrested twice in the span of four months following the 2010 season for marijuana possession. His second arrest prompted new Florida head coach Will Muschamp to kick him off the team, leading to Jenkins' transfer to North Alabama. Was ejected for throwing a punch at a Delta State player on October 13 and had to sit out the first half of UNA's next game (West Alabama).
[ Edited by mebemused on Apr 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by Dapro:

WTF? What a waste of a great talent

and 4 kids under 4 years old?

great talent but he'll probably be in jail in a year

Seriously, he did all that with his scholarship money... think of what he will do with an NFL paycheck. He got suspended at N. Bama for throwing a punch in game... dude doesnt look like the kind that will ever learn. Instead of showing he has grown from the problems that got him kicked out of Florida, he puts those problems on actual game tape for all the scouts to see.
jenkins is a flat out goon just wait till he gets millions in his pocket and goes from city to city, more trouble and more baby mamas to deal with
Every you see reports that several NFL teams have dropped so and so from their boards due to off the field issues. And every year that player is usually drafted in the 1st round and never causes any major issues off the field. You just never know who will pan out and who won't. You would have expected to hear Jimmy Smith getting a DUI and not Aldon. There is know way of knowing til it happens. Niners giving Cox a 2nd or even 3rd shot so i wouldn't be surprised if they brought in Jenkins is they feel he's got his head on straight.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Every you see reports that several NFL teams have dropped so and so from their boards due to off the field issues. And every year that player is usually drafted in the 1st round and never causes any major issues off the field. You just never know who will pan out and who won't. You would have expected to hear Jimmy Smith getting a DUI and not Aldon. There is know way of knowing til it happens. Niners giving Cox a 2nd or even 3rd shot so i wouldn't be surprised if they brought in Jenkins is they feel he's got his head on straight.

Being an ex-buff, Jimmy Smith's baggage was no where near as bad.

An I agree with you to a point, allot of players mess up in college and are fine in the NFL just like Bowman. The problem is when a player knows he is basically on his last straw like he was with N. Bama, and he not only screwed up, but screwed up in an actual game. And the fact he felt he had to throw a punch anyways is retarded, he knows he is leagues better then the guys he was playing against and was still so insecure that he started throwing punches.
With this league becoming more and more of a passing league every passing season you cannot have too many cornerbacks. I realize that at 5-10 people see his height as a disadvantage paired with his off-field issues. I like the fact that he passed up the supplementary draft to "reportedly" come back for a senior season and start to repair his image, so that shows initiative.

Then you look at all these short but elusive slot receivers in the NFL and a guy like Jenkins becomes a need for anybody. I think on our defense we have plenty of leadership and accountability to go around and a fiery coach that keeps a good handle on his players and keeps them motivated. Plus you add in that our secondary coach is one of the best in the league and the sky is the limit for a guy like Jenkins.

Finally we have a wiley vet in Carlos Rogers that should continue his high level of play for atleast a couple more years. Brown had his breakout season last year and there are a duo of promising youngsters in Culliver and Brock bhind them so it isn't like Jenkins is being counted on to come in and be a starter from day one. He would have time to develop and he adds a solid background as a returner to go with his skill set as well. I think a future with Culliver and Jenkins paired with Rogers as our possible future starting cornerbacks looks great on paper and now we finally have the coaching staff to get the most out of these guys so I'm all in for taking a chance on this kid.

With this league becoming more and more of a passing league every passing season you cannot have too many cornerbacks. I realize that at 5-10 people see his height as a disadvantage paired with his off-field issues. I like the fact that he passed up the supplementary draft to "reportedly" come back for a senior season and start to repair his image, so that shows initiative.

Then you look at all these short but elusive slot receivers in the NFL and a guy like Jenkins becomes a need for anybody. I think on our defense we have plenty of leadership and accountability to go around and a fiery coach that keeps a good handle on his players and keeps them motivated. Plus you add in that our secondary coach is one of the best in the league and the sky is the limit for a guy like Jenkins.

Finally we have a wiley vet in Carlos Rogers that should continue his high level of play for atleast a couple more years. Brown had his breakout season last year and there are a duo of promising youngsters in Culliver and Brock behind them so it isn't like Jenkins is being counted on to come in and be a starter from day one. He would have time to develop and he adds a solid background as a returner to go with his skill set as well. I think a future with Culliver and Jenkins paired with Rogers as our possible future starting cornerbacks looks great on paper and now we finally have the coaching staff to get the most out of these guys so I'm all in for taking a chance on this kid.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Being an ex-buff, Jimmy Smith's baggage was no where near as bad.

An I agree with you to a point, allot of players mess up in college and are fine in the NFL just like Bowman. The problem is when a player knows he is basically on his last straw like he was with N. Bama, and he not only screwed up, but screwed up in an actual game. And the fact he felt he had to throw a punch anyways is retarded, he knows he is leagues better then the guys he was playing against and was still so insecure that he started throwing punches.

Jenkins makes Jimmy Smith look like an angel. I'm an ex-Buff too and his troubles were news to me. Jenkins' issues have been played out in public for years. He's so arrogant about it too. He plastered Facebook about smoking weed while he was with the Gators. His coaches are saying that he's changes over the past year, but he's still an idiot for having 4 kids while in college.

It's unfortunate because he'd probably be a Top-10 pick if he had any sense.
forget character concerns, we have the coach and the lockeroom for players with histories to succeed. Jenkins is pretty f'n talented and I'd have zero problem with us TRADING UP in the 1st to get him..Having him and Culliver in the wings (what a luxury) would push our secondary to near elite level. You cannot underestimate the significance of this in today's league.
Just because a guy has a history of doing stupid things while in college doesn't mean it will be a lifelong trend..college is..well.. COLLEGE...people mature, there are countless examples in the NFL, particularly when such players join strong coaching staffs and healthy lockerooms.
When you have a team like ours, with standup hardworking tough guys like Willis/Staley/Davis , you can take shots on guys with character questions. Not to mention a players coach that younger players buy into...and add to that a Secondary that's already good without him, with respect-worthy vets like Rogers/Goldson/Whitner..Jenkins would thrive, believe it.

I am a strong proponent of us trading out of the 1st round and getting a guard in the 2nd, but if Jenkins is still there, say around the 20th pick, I'd be thrilled if we nabbed him via trade.
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Apr 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM ]
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
forget character concerns, we have the coach and the lockeroom for players with histories to succeed.

I am a strong proponent of us trading out of the 1st round and getting a guard in the 2nd, but if Jenkins is still there, say around the 20th pick, I'd be thrilled if we nabbed him via trade.

Who on the team last year had "history"?

Im blanking. They cut braylon edwards
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Kind of how Dick Vermeill (sp.) interviewed pacman jones for ten minutes and then told his staff to take him off their board. Because of the off field stuff
[ Edited by KID9R on Apr 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone