LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 210 users in the forums

OTC's Post All-Star Mock | 1.30.12

********************** PLEASE READ **********************

For this mock, I am going off the following assumptions:

- We lose Ginn, who opts to go to another team in FA
- We lose OLB Ahmad Brooks
- We retain FS Goldson
- We retain CB Rogers and DO NOT draft another CB early because the team believes it has three starter-quality players for 2012 in Rogers, Brown, and Culliver.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 NFL Draft

1. Andre Branch-OLB-Clemson, 6-4 260 4.77
Branch I believe would be a strong target for the 49ers as he is somewhat similar to Aldon Smith in that he brings the versatility of playing down on the ground and standing up, and he plays with great length and leverage which helps him push back opposing linemen. At Clemson he has lined up both at DE and OLB, so unlike Aldon, he already has a fair amount of experience dropping into coverage. If we lose Brooks, we'll need another starter, and Branch is someone who would be able to contribute early. Even if Brooks stays, we still only have 3 OLB. Branch brings both run-stuffing and pass-rush ability. With our team in need of more pass-rushers (Haralson is mainly used on running downs), Branch would make sense for us. This year, he finished his stellar year with 17 TFL and 10.5 sacks with 1 FF.

2. Kendall Reyes-DT/DE-Connecticut, 6-4 300 4.99
Think of a Ray McDonald/Justin Smith hybrid when you consider Reyes, a 1st Team All-Big East selection. Reyes is a team captain and has experience at both End and Tackle -- great for us because we rotate between the base 3-4 and 4-down linemen for the nickel. He's a quick, powerful lineman who has put up big numbers at UConn. The 49ers have already expressed the desire to add another DL to help keep their stars Justin and McDonald healthy and fresh, and reportedly have will have no qualms selecting a DL early. Reyes is a FEROCIOUS and RELENTLESS lineman and put on a clinic at the Senior Bowl this week, elevating him to 2nd round consideration. On top of his film that teams will love, the production is there as well, as Reyes finished his 2011 collegiate season racking up 13.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 1 fumble recovery for a TD, and 4 passes batted down.

3. Marvin McNutt-WR-Iowa, 6-3 216 4.52
McNutt will not wow you with his speed or quickness, but he's a guy that just knows how to get open and is a strong runner after the catch with great hands. He reminds me somewhat of Terrell Owens in the way he runs with the ball in his hands, although not as fast. McNutt's production is hard to ignore -- 80+ catches for 1300+ yards and 12 TDs -- and the kid has shown marked improvement each year. 49ers scouts have already spoken to McNutt so you know there's an interest in him and I believe he's a legitimate 3rd round candidate for this team. I think the team wants a big receiver, but more than anything they just want a guy who can get separation. McNutt, still raw, has room to get even better and could develop into a #1 in the right sytem. The WCO looks to be a good fit for him and I think if he's available and we haven't taken a WR yet, we very well may pull the trigger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFm2FweXHE&feature=related

4. Micah Pellerin-CB-Hampton, 6-0 195 4.49
Another small school corner who has been a lights out player at his level. He's a D-I transfer (from Southern Miss), and put up 4 interceptions this year to go along with 15 PBU's, which marked back to back years of 14+ pass break-ups. This year he stepped up his game in run support, chipping in 4.5 tackles for loss as well. Pellerin's clear potential and skill set are unlikely to go unnoticed, especially when coupled with the fact that he has NFL size and speed at 6-0 195 and expectations of clocking in the 4.4's. At the East-West Shrine game, he showcased good speed and in practices was often step for step with receivers who struggled to separate from him. Pellerin needs only minor fundamental development, and his strong All-Star week confirmed his starting NFL potential, boosting him from a late-round developmental guy, to a 4th-round guy who is expected to eventually start in the NFL.

5. Robert Golden-CB/S-Arizona, 5-11 200 4.54
When you watch this kid play, you see a lot of WOW moments. Some are good "wow" .. some are bad "wow" .. His aggressive style can often pay those kinds of dividends. Golden is often considered overly aggressive which can lead to blown assignments. With proper teaching, he could become a really good player though, considering his violent hitting ability and sensational closing speed on the football. Golden would replace the versatility of Reggie Smith while at the same time being a tremendous upgrade in speed and tackling ability. He has starting experience at every position in the secondary, playing full seasons at free safety, corner, and strong safety at Arizona. Like Culliver, the 49ers could ultimately decide he should play CB instead of safety. Honestly, he has the talent to play anywhere, he just need to be asked to focus on one area and be developed there, and in doing that, some team -- perhaps ours -- could be looking a potential gem. If you'd like to see some of the potential of Golden, you can view a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ1DwLpfiuk

6. Devon Wylie-WR/KR-Fresno State, 5-9 186 4.38
When you watch Wylie, you can't help but see a ton of Wes Welker in him. Another comparison is Danny Amendola, who gave teams fits. Only difference is Wylie can return kicks, and very well. That ability to get open underneath is special. Blessed with impressive quickness, balance, and speed, Devon is still far from a polished receiver, but his outstanding ST's ability (2 PR for TD this year) and ease of separating from defenders purely based on his talent make him a big-time potential late round steal. It's possible he could go much sooner, especially after an incredibly impressive East-West Shrine week where he was swarmed by scouts wanting to get to known him better, but if he's here, the 49ers could have a hard time passing on the local product. If you're a YouTuber, I'm sure you can find something on him. (Edit: here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faqfXBtF50I )

7. Rokevious Watkins-OG-South Carolina, 6-4 340 5.36
Depending on who you ask, you'll be told Watkins is anywhere from a 4th-7th rounder. Guards are often a little trickier to project, but nonetheless.. Watkins is a guy who could be a poor man's Carl Nicks. Moves fairly well for a big man and most analysts think he has the potential to grow into a very solid starter in the NFL. Since we expect to lose Rachal, getting SOME sort of OG/C in development for the future makes sense, and Watkins seems like a potential Baalke pick. Watkins, who has played both RT and RG, garnered Associated Press 1st-team All-SEC honors from the media (2nd team from the coaches) this season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick-look depth chart:

WR - Crabtree, Morgan, McNutt, Wylie, Williams
OG - Iupati, Snyder, Kilgore, Watkins
OT - Staley, Boone, A.Davis, Person

DE - McDonald, J.Smith, Reyes, RJF, Dobbs
NT - Sopoaga, Ian Williams, RJF
OLB - Aldon, Haralson, Branch, FA-pickup
CB - Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Pellerin, Golden, Brock
FS - Goldson, Spillman, Golden
SS - Whitner, Jones
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM ]
this kind of draft would make me pretty happy.

does Wylie project as a PR/KR?
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Yes, he returned two punts for touchdowns this season. I think the only reason he is graded somewhat lower by some is because of inexperience. This was his first year with major playing time because last year a broken foot ended his season early.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:07 PM ]
OTC I like your mock, except it looks like we still don't have a difference maker on offense, while McNutt would be a good fit for the system, he isn't really a significant upgrade at a position of need, and Wylie IMO is just another KW.

so I'm assuming we're picking up a WR during FA, but when was the last time we picked up a true #1 WR in FA? ...

so your mock improves our team, but our biggest area for improvement isn't getting much help
Excellent post and draft.

And we still could get some fine selections in FA too! I've been a big McNutt fan for a while so I love that pick.

Also getting Wylie would be awesome.

Thanks
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'm a fan.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
OTC I like your mock, except it looks like we still don't have a difference maker on offense, while McNutt would be a good fit for the system, he isn't really a significant upgrade at a position of need, and Wylie IMO is just another KW.

so I'm assuming we're picking up a WR during FA, but when was the last time we picked up a true #1 WR in FA? ...

so your mock improves our team, but our biggest area for improvement isn't getting much help

I think people are going to go into the season doubting some moves, just like last off-season. This is just what I currently project us to do. No one was enamored with Kyle Williams like they were with Wylie at the All-Star game the other week. His inexperience (noted above) made him lesser known to many. Wylie I believe talked to scouts from both San Diego (perhaps looking for a Sproles replacement) and Miami.

Wylie was blowing by people and even on a soaking field was not slipping at all, displaying exceptional balance and getting open with ease. Wylie is more like Welker, Danny Amendola, or even like a slightly taller Sproles, than Williams. Williams is basically another Michael Spurlock.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I think people are going to go into the season doubting some moves, just like last off-season. This is just what I currently project us to do. No one was enamored with Kyle Williams like they were with Wylie at the All-Star game the other week. His inexperience (noted above) made him lesser known to many. Wylie I believe talked to scouts from both San Diego (perhaps looking for a Sproles replacement) and Miami.

Wylie was blowing by people and even on a soaking field was not slipping at all, displaying exceptional balance and getting open with ease. Wylie is more like Welker, Danny Amendola, or even like a slightly taller Sproles, than Williams. Williams is basically another Michael Spurlock.

ok, so what you're trying to sell me is that our 6th round, welker-sproles-amendola-type rookie, is going to make enough of an impact along with McNutt, another rookie, to improve our passing game?

I understand the whole "doubting moves" theory, but I think that it is abundantly clear that this team needs a true, #1, stud WR on the field to help Crabtree and Vernon and we need to obtain him either in FA or in the draft. A significant lift to this offense is pretty much all we need for this team to be an absolute force to be reckoned with in the NFC/NFL.
I like it OTC. I've been working on my first mock of this offseason as well and I also have Rokevious Watkins in there, except I have him in the 4th-5th round range. He really stood out to me while watching South Carolina and Lattimore finding room behind the interior of that o-line.
i like it but im hoping we get bowe bc it doesnt look like we upgraded our receiving corps very much

Love this draft but I have to agree with vrabbitt. Gotta add a true number 1 wr in free agency with this draft.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Yes, he returned two punts for touchdowns this season. I think the only reason he is graded somewhat lower by some is because of inexperience. This was his first year with major playing time because last year a broken foot ended his season early.

sweet. i would love this draft. i agree with others though that I would kind of question the FO not going after an experienced #1 receiver, since rookie WR's do take awhile to develop. However, they made so many right moves last year that I would give them the benefit of the doubt until the season really got underway.

but i love how this draft addresses depth at OLB, DL, CB/S and WR, mixing good value and late-round projects. it looks like a Baalke draft.
ok, so what you're trying to sell me is that our 6th round, welker-sproles-amendola-type rookie, is going to make enough of an impact along with McNutt, another rookie, to improve our passing game?

I understand the whole "doubting moves" theory, but I think that it is abundantly clear that this team needs a true, #1, stud WR on the field to help Crabtree and Vernon and we need to obtain him either in FA or in the draft. A significant lift to this offense is pretty much all we need for this team to be an absolute force to be reckoned with in the NFC/NFL.

Continuity within the system will improve the passing game alone, McNutt and Wylie would just be bonuses who over time would offer more and more into molding us a dynamic attack.

I would love for us to add a #1, but I expect us to take the same or very similar, "patient" approach. We will "attempt" but not force the issue, and probably miss out, with the big-name guys probably being plucked away or re-signing with their respective teams. I do understand there are several FAs we could add that would legitimately give us a starting upgrade, but it's tough to judge who'd make it here:

Reggie Wayne - If the Colts want to have a passing game next season with Manning/Luck, they can't let him walk.
Welker - After a monster season, he's not going anywhere. Gronk and Hernandez rely on Welker opening up intermediate routes.
Vincent Jackson - We seem averse to players with attitudes. Jackson gave no effort at times this season. He's a possibility, but at what price?
Bowe - Will be franchise tagged. Won't be available.
DeSean Jackson - See Vincent Jackson. Jackson did things to hurt the team, and the 49ers appear to desire a big receiver.
Steve Johnson - Expected to re-sign with Bills.
Marques Colston - I think the Saints will let Meachem go and keep Colston, the better receiver.
Brandon Lloyd - Wouldn't come here and isn't really a fit.
Manningham - Borderline #2, not sure he's a fit either.
Jerome Simpson - Here's a guy I would take, but I can't see Cincy doing anything but locking him up as long as possible.
Garcon - Don't think they'd bring him in here.
Burress - Don't think they'd want him in the locker-room.

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i like it but im hoping we get bowe bc it doesnt look like we upgraded our receiving corps very much

Bowe will be getting franchised, unfortunately. KC is desperate on offense and losing Bowe would devastate them.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Love this draft but I have to agree with vrabbitt. Gotta add a true number 1 wr in free agency with this draft.

what he said

Continuity within the system will improve the passing game alone, McNutt and Wylie would just be bonuses who over time would offer more and more into molding us a dynamic attack.

I would love for us to add a #1, but I expect us to take the same or very similar, "patient" approach. We will "attempt" but not force the issue, and probably miss out, with the big-name guys probably being plucked away or re-signing with their respective teams. I do understand there are several FAs we could add that would legitimately give us a starting upgrade, but it's tough to judge who'd make it here:

Reggie Wayne - If the Colts want to have a passing game next season with Manning/Luck, they can't let him walk.
Welker - After a monster season, he's not going anywhere. Gronk and Hernandez rely on Welker opening up intermediate routes.
Vincent Jackson - We seem averse to players with attitudes. Jackson gave no effort at times this season. He's a possibility, but at what price?
Bowe - Will be franchise tagged. Won't be available.
DeSean Jackson - See Vincent Jackson. Jackson did things to hurt the team, and the 49ers appear to desire a big receiver.
Steve Johnson - Expected to re-sign with Bills.
Marques Colston - I think the Saints will let Meachem go and keep Colston, the better receiver.
Brandon Lloyd - Wouldn't come here and isn't really a fit.
Manningham - Borderline #2, not sure he's a fit either.
Jerome Simpson - Here's a guy I would take, but I can't see Cincy doing anything but locking him up as long as possible.
Garcon - Don't think they'd bring him in here.
Burress - Don't think they'd want him in the locker-room.

Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Bowe will be getting franchised, unfortunately. KC is desperate on offense and losing Bowe would devastate them.

I can see the scenario playing out, but fans will have a short leash on it if "continuity with the system" doesn't give better results
Share 49ersWebzone