There are 273 users in the forums

OTC's Post All-Star Mock | 1.30.12

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Not a fan of McNutt. I thought he looked pretty average at the Senior Bowl.

And he measured in at 6'2 212lbs.

Measured at 6'2 1/2" -- basically the same size except slightly taller than counterpart Criner (6'2 1/8").

Would not mind adding either in the third. But have not heard about our scouts showing interest in Criner. Obviously, that doesn't mean they aren't though. Would be on board with either in the 3rd at this point.

Scouting showing interest is a funny concept. They'll scout 250+ players, and you'll hear about 15 of them in any given off-season. They talked to Criner at the Sr. Bowl, but then again, they'll talk to every other prospect from a big school, and a ton more from small schools.

I agree, Scouts pretty much have the same generic questions that companies ask during job interviews. If you can be near a guy while another team is talking to him you can pretty much interview the guy without getting the "OMG THIS TEAM IS REALLY TALKING TO ME" kind of responses directed at you.

Nice mock OTC. Just a background question, if we don't re-sign Ginn or Brooks where does the money go? Are we just stock piling money and/or extending current players? I know the question is a bit of a stretch but why would we chose not re-sign them?

1) We will need the money for the following:

* Alex Smith's new deal
* Carlos Rogers' new deal
* Da'Shon Goldson's new deal or tag value
* Extensions for Sopoaga and RJF.
* Any other FAs we bring in.

2) I think we would try, but they may look for bigger paydays than we can afford, elsewhere.

Morgan should come at a bargain, as well as some of our ST guys. Overall, I think we will lose/not re-sign/cut the following players:

Shawntae Spencer
Reggie Smith
Madieu Williams
Chilo Rachal
Justin Peele
Moran Norris
Larry Grant (we'll give him a low tender and I think someone will pick him up)

We should give Grant a 4th round tender, I can totally see a LB needy team signing him. We have like 43 mill in cap room and as long as Alex takes a reasonable salary(10 mill yr or so) we should be able to atleast spend on 1 guy who is an outside FA .
great draft! would still like to draft a WR earlier, but overall not bad
  • sfout
  • Veteran
1) We will need the money for the following:

* Alex Smith's new deal
* Carlos Rogers' new deal
* Da'Shon Goldson's new deal or tag value
* Extensions for Sopoaga and RJF.
* Any other FAs we bring in.

2) I think we would try, but they may look for bigger paydays than we can afford, elsewhere.

Morgan should come at a bargain, as well as some of our ST guys. Overall, I think we will lose/not re-sign/cut the following players:

Shawntae Spencer
Reggie Smith
Madieu Williams
Chilo Rachal
Justin Peele
Moran Norris
Larry Grant (we'll give him a low tender and I think someone will pick him up)

Perfect explanation. So happy we've got $40M in cap room, it would've been a disaster if we were bottlenecked with 10 or 15 :/
Like the draft, dont think we draft 2 DB's though, we could draft a CB and move Culliver back to FS to back up Goldson. The Love the Reyes pick, as I think he or the kid from Boise, should work in to the rotation and eventually replace J. Smith.
i like it
Originally posted by niners9:
great draft! would still like to draft a WR earlier, but overall not bad

I think many will be pleased with the next mock I have in mind and another possibility I see the 49ers FO maybe undertaking.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
We should give Grant a 4th round tender, I can totally see a LB needy team signing him. We have like 43 mill in cap room and as long as Alex takes a reasonable salary(10 mill yr or so) we should be able to atleast spend on 1 guy who is an outside FA .

I am not sure how the tenders work with the new CBA, but I would gladly give him a 4th or 5th round tender to get us another pick, but I don't think we can. I think we can only offer 1st, 2nd, or based on current rules -- a 7th round tender. I thought I saw somewhere that there is only 1st, 2nd, Original Draft Round, or Non-Compensatory tenders that can be offered now. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent#Examples_of_possible_outcomes)
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:18 AM ]
maybe someone might be desperate enough to take him for a 2nd

probably not but im just being optimistic
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
maybe someone might be desperate enough to take him for a 2nd

probably not but im just being optimistic

If we really want to keep Grant, we'll give him a 2nd round level tender, because no one will give up that for him. If we are indifferent, will we give him the original round tender and tell him we want him but also want to give him the opportunity to start somewhere else if he wants to.

Depending on the offer he got, we could then decide to match if we thought he was worth it still being a backup. If so, obviously we'd match and keep him. If not, we'd take the 7th and then be forced to look for depth in the draft and/or FA.

Personally, I have begun to consider that the 2nd round tender looks like the most realistic option. Let Grant play for one more year and then re-address the depth next year when he'd likely leave to start somewhere else.
********************** PLEASE READ **********************

For this mock, I am going off the following assumptions:

- We lose Ginn, who opts to go to another team in FA
- We lose OLB Ahmad Brooks
- We retain FS Goldson
- We retain CB Rogers and DO NOT draft another CB early because the team believes it has three starter-quality players for 2012 in Rogers, Brown, and Culliver.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 NFL Draft

1. Andre Branch-OLB-Clemson, 6-4 260 4.77
Branch I believe would be a strong target for the 49ers as he is somewhat similar to Aldon Smith in that he brings the versatility of playing down on the ground and standing up, and he plays with great length and leverage which helps him push back opposing linemen. At Clemson he has lined up both at DE and OLB, so unlike Aldon, he already has a fair amount of experience dropping into coverage. If we lose Brooks, we'll need another starter, and Branch is someone who would be able to contribute early. Even if Brooks stays, we still only have 3 OLB. Branch brings both run-stuffing and pass-rush ability. With our team in need of more pass-rushers (Haralson is mainly used on running downs), Branch would make sense for us. This year, he finished his stellar year with 17 TFL and 10.5 sacks with 1 FF.

2. Kendall Reyes-DT/DE-Connecticut, 6-4 300 4.99
Think of a Ray McDonald/Justin Smith hybrid when you consider Reyes, a 1st Team All-Big East selection. Reyes is a team captain and has experience at both End and Tackle -- great for us because we rotate between the base 3-4 and 4-down linemen for the nickel. He's a quick, powerful lineman who has put up big numbers at UConn. The 49ers have already expressed the desire to add another DL to help keep their stars Justin and McDonald healthy and fresh, and reportedly have will have no qualms selecting a DL early. Reyes is a FEROCIOUS and RELENTLESS lineman and put on a clinic at the Senior Bowl this week, elevating him to 2nd round consideration. On top of his film that teams will love, the production is there as well, as Reyes finished his 2011 collegiate season racking up 13.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 1 fumble recovery for a TD, and 4 passes batted down.

3. Marvin McNutt-WR-Iowa, 6-3 216 4.52
McNutt will not wow you with his speed or quickness, but he's a guy that just knows how to get open and is a strong runner after the catch with great hands. He reminds me somewhat of Terrell Owens in the way he runs with the ball in his hands, although not as fast. McNutt's production is hard to ignore -- 80+ catches for 1300+ yards and 12 TDs -- and the kid has shown marked improvement each year. 49ers scouts have already spoken to McNutt so you know there's an interest in him and I believe he's a legitimate 3rd round candidate for this team. I think the team wants a big receiver, but more than anything they just want a guy who can get separation. McNutt, still raw, has room to get even better and could develop into a #1 in the right sytem. The WCO looks to be a good fit for him and I think if he's available and we haven't taken a WR yet, we very well may pull the trigger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFm2FweXHE&feature=related

4. Micah Pellerin-CB-Hampton, 6-0 195 4.49
Another small school corner who has been a lights out player at his level. He's a D-I transfer (from Southern Miss), and put up 4 interceptions this year to go along with 15 PBU's, which marked back to back years of 14+ pass break-ups. This year he stepped up his game in run support, chipping in 4.5 tackles for loss as well. Pellerin's clear potential and skill set are unlikely to go unnoticed, especially when coupled with the fact that he has NFL size and speed at 6-0 195 and expectations of clocking in the 4.4's. At the East-West Shrine game, he showcased good speed and in practices was often step for step with receivers who struggled to separate from him. Pellerin needs only minor fundamental development, and his strong All-Star week confirmed his starting NFL potential, boosting him from a late-round developmental guy, to a 4th-round guy who is expected to eventually start in the NFL.

5. Robert Golden-CB/S-Arizona, 5-11 200 4.54
When you watch this kid play, you see a lot of WOW moments. Some are good "wow" .. some are bad "wow" .. His aggressive style can often pay those kinds of dividends. Golden is often considered overly aggressive which can lead to blown assignments. With proper teaching, he could become a really good player though, considering his violent hitting ability and sensational closing speed on the football. Golden would replace the versatility of Reggie Smith while at the same time being a tremendous upgrade in speed and tackling ability. He has starting experience at every position in the secondary, playing full seasons at free safety, corner, and strong safety at Arizona. Like Culliver, the 49ers could ultimately decide he should play CB instead of safety. Honestly, he has the talent to play anywhere, he just need to be asked to focus on one area and be developed there, and in doing that, some team -- perhaps ours -- could be looking a potential gem. If you'd like to see some of the potential of Golden, you can view a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ1DwLpfiuk

6. Devon Wylie-WR/KR-Fresno State, 5-9 186 4.38
When you watch Wylie, you can't help but see a ton of Wes Welker in him. Another comparison is Danny Amendola, who gave teams fits. Only difference is Wylie can return kicks, and very well. That ability to get open underneath is special. Blessed with impressive quickness, balance, and speed, Devon is still far from a polished receiver, but his outstanding ST's ability (2 PR for TD this year) and ease of separating from defenders purely based on his talent make him a big-time potential late round steal. It's possible he could go much sooner, especially after an incredibly impressive East-West Shrine week where he was swarmed by scouts wanting to get to known him better, but if he's here, the 49ers could have a hard time passing on the local product. If you're a YouTuber, I'm sure you can find something on him. (Edit: here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faqfXBtF50I )

7. Rokevious Watkins-OG-South Carolina, 6-4 340 5.36
Depending on who you ask, you'll be told Watkins is anywhere from a 4th-7th rounder. Guards are often a little trickier to project, but nonetheless.. Watkins is a guy who could be a poor man's Carl Nicks. Moves fairly well for a big man and most analysts think he has the potential to grow into a very solid starter in the NFL. Since we expect to lose Rachal, getting SOME sort of OG/C in development for the future makes sense, and Watkins seems like a potential Baalke pick. Watkins, who has played both RT and RG, garnered Associated Press 1st-team All-SEC honors from the media (2nd team from the coaches) this season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick-look depth chart:

WR - Crabtree, Morgan, McNutt, Wylie, Williams
OG - Iupati, Snyder, Kilgore, Watkins
OT - Staley, Boone, A.Davis, Person

DE - McDonald, J.Smith, Reyes, RJF, Dobbs
NT - Sopoaga, Ian Williams, RJF
OLB - Aldon, Haralson, Branch, FA-pickup
CB - Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Pellerin, Golden, Brock
FS - Goldson, Spillman, Golden
SS - Whitner, Jones

like it,,, build on strengths and add to weakness as well.
I like this mock. Every year it seems like someone gets a sleeper WR in the late rounds of the draft or by signing a rookie FA. I hope the Niners can pull one of those off while drafting the best players available early.

Absolutely love this mock. Getting Devon would make me cut flips.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
olb in the first is a waste imo... we dont need one, now or in 2-3 years
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
I like the draft overall and agree Ginn and Brooks prolly won't come back, but two things:

1. I like McNutt, but if we pick him up we have snag a fast WR via FA. Robert Meachem will be cheap and can stretch the field.

2. Not a huge fan of Robert Golden. I go to UW, was @ the Halloween game between Arizona and Washington,and we knew if Price threw it over the middle that Golden couldn't catch a cold. Golden takes too many risks, but have to admit he'd be a killer ST player, def can lay the wood.

Great job as usual OTC

Quick question: Do you think Joe Adams will last past the 3rd round?

As noted, Golden definitely has a reputation as a gambler. But the guy has coverage skills to work with. In 1-on-1 drills, you can see he has some really nice talent. I think he would need development at corner, but as a safety, he would be even better because of his range and closing speed. Was he playing safety or corner that day? Do you recall?

And no I don't think Adams makes it past the 3rd round. I think he could go in the 2nd, but if he makes it to the 3rd, I can't see him falling to our pick.

He was @ safety mostly, though moved out to corner during some downs. We tore him up mostly, though he did get us in the 3rd with a 91 yard Int TD, but I can see your point about developing him into a safety. Could be a nice replacement for Whitner in 2-3 years
Originally posted by fan49:
olb in the first is a waste imo... we dont need one, now or in 2-3 years

Look at our depth chart, my friend. This is what it looks like:

LOLB:
Brooks (becoming a FA in march)

ROLB:
Aldon Smith
Haralson

Saying we don't need one makes no sense. We have only three on the current roster.. and who knows what kind of contract Brooks will command. I, for one, would NEVER want to go into the season with Haralson as a full-time starter. The Steelers and Ravens build their monster defenses around a monster pass-rush and are constantly grabbing pass-rushers even when they don't "need" them. Unlike them.. we DO NEED them, and BADLY. Whether we bring back Brooks or not we NEED another OLB. We are currently one injury away from total devastation of our OLB corps, and zero pass-rush.
I like the draft overall and agree Ginn and Brooks prolly won't come back, but two things:

1. I like McNutt, but if we pick him up we have snag a fast WR via FA. Robert Meachem will be cheap and can stretch the field.

2. Not a huge fan of Robert Golden. I go to UW, was @ the Halloween game between Arizona and Washington,and we knew if Price threw it over the middle that Golden couldn't catch a cold. Golden takes too many risks, but have to admit he'd be a killer ST player, def can lay the wood.

Great job as usual OTC

Quick question: Do you think Joe Adams will last past the 3rd round?

As noted, Golden definitely has a reputation as a gambler. But the guy has coverage skills to work with. In 1-on-1 drills, you can see he has some really nice talent. I think he would need development at corner, but as a safety, he would be even better because of his range and closing speed. Was he playing safety or corner that day? Do you recall?

And no I don't think Adams makes it past the 3rd round. I think he could go in the 2nd, but if he makes it to the 3rd, I can't see him falling to our pick.

He was @ safety mostly, though moved out to corner during some downs. We tore him up mostly, though he did get us in the 3rd with a 91 yard Int TD, but I can see your point about developing him into a safety. Could be a nice replacement for Whitner in 2-3 years

I think the 49ers have such faith in their coaching staff, that they might train him at CB like Culliver. Watching Golden practice in 1-on-1's give me the impression he could be a very good man / off-man coverage corner IF he got proper tutelage. I badly wanted us to keep Culliver at Safety, but the coaches showed he does have CB potential. I could see them viewing Golden the same (if selected). Either way, he certainly has great secondary experience and versatility that boosts his value. He's faster than Reggie Smith, too.
Share 49ersWebzone