There are 189 users in the forums

Drafting a TE This Year: Why it Would Possibly Be a GREAT Move

Hell Yeah!!!!

I've been on the Fleener bandwagon for a while now. The 2nd TE in this offense gets a lot of snaps and is basically a starter. Fleener is exactly the kind of threat we need to help cure our redzone woes. At 6'6" 245 lbs he has the size, hands, and athleticism to really give defenses headaches with our 2 TE packages, as well as being a big target in the redzone. We could have a Gronkowski / Hernandez type of TE combo.
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The only WRs who are signed for next year are Crabtree and Williams. Let's think about that for a second. Morgan might be back but he'll be a big question mark with his injury.

I'd be hoping that we'll draft one of the top-5 WRs available in the draft and that he would be more than just an average WR.

morgan's injury was a break right? no ligament damage? if that is so he will be back full strength no problem. There are less top tight ends in the draft the wr's, so I'd rather go TE 1st unless magically floyd or jefferys fell to us, then go wr in 2nd or 3rd. There are a bunch of good FA wrs available this year too

This is true for all drafts. We already have an elite TE, I just think it's a luxury pick that we can't afford given the gaping hole at WR. Now if we sign Colston/either Jackson/Bowye in FA, I'd be on board.

I'm personally not that big on Delanie and believe his spot can be upgraded. I just don't think we need to use our #1 pick on it.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jan 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM ]
Where is Fleener realistically projected to be drafted?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I don't know about drafting a TE in the first, but I do believe that we need more depth. Apparently we have enough depth when it comes to blocking, but I think we would use another TE at Walker's level as depth, plus the occasionaly 3 TE sets that you are describing.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Hear me out on this, fellas. I have begun to SERIOUSLY start to feel on board with drafting another TE for this Harbaugh system that loves to utilize them. I am beginning to consider that with what we and the Patriots have done, the league may copycat and start to shift towards a 4WR-4TE or 4-4 offensive package where every team has 1-2 TEs that can double as WR's like Gronk/Hernandez and Davis/Walker. What if we (or they, the Patriots) added another monster TE to the team? How do you cover THREE BIG, FAST, TEs running around the field all at once? It's a mismatch nightmare. You have to have someone who can physically matchup with all of them both in terms of size and/or speed.

I mean, think about it. Say we draft Fleener in the 1st and then one or two other receivers to compete with our current corps. This year, we carried 2 FB, 3 TE, and 5 WR (until Braylon was let go). What if next year, we hold 4 TEs and just the one FB. Byham can double as an H-back/FB.

Laying it out, a possible scenario:

WR Crabtree
WR Morgan
WR ROOKIE**
WR Ginn
WR Williams or ROOKIE**

TE Vernon Davis
TE Delanie Walker
TE Coby Fleener**
TE Nate Byham (TE/FB)

FB Bruce Miller
FB Nate Byham (TE/FB)

I actually, after thinking about it, could come to LOVE this idea. Again, mismatch NIGHTMARE. With the development and emerging of these "Super TEs" .. teams are going to have to figure out a way to stop them. These "Super TEs" seem like an especially great idea for us because they can help as much in the pass game as they could with their size and power in the run game.

Think of the packages we could run. Just think about it. Here are a few draw-ups.

Thats good. But replace Crabs with Mohamed Sanu, Alshon Jeffery, or Nick Toon.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
we already have an elite TE id rather have a decent #1 WR now

At the 30th pick? Best thing you're hoping for is a solid #2. However the WR's available at 30 won't be much different from the WR's available at 60. However, with TE, there are 3 guys who are basically ready to be starters.

Also, what's the difference between a TE and a WR? Explain me that. Fleener played WR as well in college, but what's the difference? It used to be that TE's were big blocking backs, slow but capable of making catches. Now you have TE's who are faster than WR's, bigger, stronger, better blockers, with hands that are just as good.

So really, what's the difference? If you're a defensive coordinator would you rather defend Davis, Crabtree, a rookie and Walker or Davis, Crabtree, Fleener and a rookie or Morgan?
Originally posted by 9rFan84:

2nd to 3rd round currently. He could move up some more after the combine.
Originally posted by fryet:
I don't know about drafting a TE in the first, but I do believe that we need more depth. Apparently we have enough depth when it comes to blocking, but I think we would use another TE at Walker's level as depth, plus the occasionaly 3 TE sets that you are describing.

Who cares about depth, this about best player available on offense. Fleener would make this offense a lot more explosive and if he was drafted in the 1st, it would be to start, not to be a 3rd TE. His skill-set and physical size already dwarf that of Walker. Walker's a better blocker and that's about it.
This is true for all drafts. We already have an elite TE, I just think it's a luxury pick that we can't afford given the gaping hole at WR. Now if we sign Colston/either Jackson/Bowye in FA, I'd be on board.

I'm personally not that big on Delanie and believe his spot can be upgraded. I just don't think we need to use our #1 pick on it.

What's the difference between picking a WR or a TE if the goal is to score more points, do better in the red-zone and convert more third downs. Is a 6-2 receiver going to shake up a defense more than a fast 6-6 TE?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM ]
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
morgan's injury was a break right? no ligament damage? if that is so he will be back full strength no problem. There are less top tight ends in the draft the wr's, so I'd rather go TE 1st unless magically floyd or jefferys fell to us, then go wr in 2nd or 3rd. There are a bunch of good FA wrs available this year too

This. There are 3 top TE talents in the draft. Allen, Fleener and Charles. Among the WR's you have basically Blackmon and maybe Floyd and then afterwards you have a ton of question marks, guys with good talent and good potential, but hardly blue-chip prospects. Instead of hoping and praying that the 49ers don't end up with the next Rashaun Woods, I'd rather see them draft Fleener and create major mismatches for defenses, then go grab a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The other advantage is that Fleener would be ready to go, right out of the box. You think it would take him long to learn Harbaugh's system? Out of all the receivers...tight-ends......he's the most ready to be a starter on THIS team from Day 1.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM ]

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Why Crabs? That makes no sense as he's our best WR. Morgan isn't half the WR Crabtree is, especially coming off a broken leg. Morgan is your typical big slot receiver-mold.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's already moved up. Most reports and draft analysts project him as a 1st or 2nd, and fully expect him to be the first TE off the board ahead of Allen and Charles.
Why Crabs? That makes no sense as he's our best WR. Morgan isn't half the WR Crabtree is, especially coming off a broken leg. Morgan is your typical big slot receiver-mold.

He's already moved up. Most reports and draft analysts project him as a 1st or 2nd, and fully expect him to be the first TE off the board ahead of Allen and Charles.

I still think Allen's athletic numbers will turn some heads, he's going to wow people at the combine and be the first TE out the door. He has freakish athletic ability, supposedly about 6-4 as well. I definitely see Charles lagging further and further behind Allen and Fleener.

This mock from NFL.com has zero tight ends going in the first round but most of the ones I've seen still have Allen being picked anywhere from 18(Chargers) to 28(Packers).

A strong possibility for Fleener could very well be Green Bay as they are more than likely going to let Jermichael Finley walk.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by 9rFan84:

Okay, thanks. I would be all for him in the 1st or 2nd. Harbaugh knows how to use TEs.

What's the difference between picking a WR or a TE if the goal is to score more points, do better in the red-zone and convert more third downs. Is a 6-2 receiver going to shake up a defense more than a fast 6-6 TE?

There are some very obvious differences between a WR and a TE. WRs usually:
1. are faster (by a long shot)
2. can run a wider variety of routes
3. have better hands
4. are more agile (by a long shot again)
5. better after the catch

Key word above is "usually." While I agree that the lines between a WR and a TE are blurring all you have to do is look at combine numbers to know that they're not the same.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

I actually feel like Morgan's better. Better hands, stronger, more athletic, better route runner, and better work ethic. Only thing crab has on him is a bit of height and reach.
Share 49ersWebzone