LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Drafting a TE This Year: Why it Would Possibly Be a GREAT Move

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Hear me out on this, fellas. I have begun to SERIOUSLY start to feel on board with drafting another TE for this Harbaugh system that loves to utilize them. I am beginning to consider that with what we and the Patriots have done, the league may copycat and start to shift towards a 4WR-4TE or 4-4 offensive package where every team has 1-2 TEs that can double as WR's like Gronk/Hernandez and Davis/Walker. What if we (or they, the Patriots) added another monster TE to the team? How do you cover THREE BIG, FAST, TEs running around the field all at once? It's a mismatch nightmare. You have to have someone who can physically matchup with all of them both in terms of size and/or speed.

I mean, think about it. Say we draft Fleener in the 1st and then one or two other receivers to compete with our current corps. This year, we carried 2 FB, 3 TE, and 5 WR (until Braylon was let go). What if next year, we hold 4 TEs and just the one FB. Byham can double as an H-back/FB.

Laying it out, a possible scenario:

WR Crabtree
WR Morgan
WR ROOKIE**
WR Ginn
WR Williams or ROOKIE**

TE Vernon Davis
TE Delanie Walker
TE Colby Fleener**
TE Nate Byham (TE/FB)

FB Bruce Miller
FB Nate Byham (TE/FB)

I actually, after thinking about it, could come to LOVE this idea. Again, mismatch NIGHTMARE. With the development and emerging of these "Super TEs" .. teams are going to have to figure out a way to stop them. These "Super TEs" seem like an especially great idea for us because they can help as much in the pass game as they could with their size and power in the run game.

Think of the packages we could run. Just think about it. Here are a few draw-ups.

OIC, are you grant dohn..he posted column today pushing for the fleener to niners pick
Originally posted by hofer36:
OIC, are you grant dohn..he posted column today pushing for the fleener to niners pick

Hah, interesting that more people are jumping on board. I think everyone's starting to see what a good TE combo can do. Teams that currently do this are:

49ers - Davis/Walker
Panthers - Shockey/Olsen
Patriots - Gronk/Hernandez
Texans - Daniels/Dreessen
Lions - Pettigrew/Scheffler
Originally posted by hofer36:

Hah, interesting that more people are jumping on board. I think everyone's starting to see what a good TE combo can do. Teams that currently do this are:

49ers - Davis/Walker
Panthers - Shockey/Olsen
Patriots - Gronk/Hernandez
Texans - Daniels/Dreessen
Lions - Pettigrew/Scheffler

Exactly this TE duo that teams are doing is more affective than the Cam Newton/Tim Teebow QB trend that everyone is wondering that is "going to change the game". I think this is what can really change the game. I feel so bad for defenses now days.
We could even run 4 TE sets. Wutttt
Originally posted by dhp318:

What would be hilarious is a goal-line package shift. With Fleener, Byham, Davis, and Walker.. all are so capable at blocking, we could easily run or pass. So think about it.. All 4 TEs in the game... Byham and Walker lined up tight next to the left tackle, Davis and Fleener in tight next to the right tackle.. It looks like a run for sure.

BOOM. SHIFT.

All TE's split out wide except for Byham, who stays on the line. Walker wide left, Davis in the slot, Fleener wide right. "Uh oh."
Originally posted by dhp318:

What would be hilarious is a goal-line package shift. With Fleener, Byham, Davis, and Walker.. all are so capable at blocking, we could easily run or pass. So think about it.. All 4 TEs in the game... Byham and Walker lined up tight next to the left tackle, Davis and Fleener in tight next to the right tackle.. It looks like a run for sure.

BOOM. SHIFT.

All TE's split out wide except for Byham, who stays on the line. Walker wide left, Davis in the slot, Fleener wide right. "Uh oh."
If this was Facebook I would so like this comment.
I am in love with this idea. We could be so scary on offense if we do this.
Only if one of the top WRs is not available. Maybe TE in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, not sure about 1st.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Only if one of the top WRs is not available. Maybe TE in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, not sure about 1st.

Elite tight end>>>>>average WR.

6'6", 240, 4.6 40 vs 6'1, 205, 4.5 40.

If one of the top-top-top notch WR's is there, it'd be hard for us to pass, but there are lot of talented receivers and few TE's as good as Fleener or Charles.

Now I'll be sad if we don't do this
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The only WRs who are signed for next year are Crabtree and Williams. Let's think about that for a second. Morgan might be back but he'll be a big question mark with his injury.

I'd be hoping that we'll draft one of the top-5 WRs available in the draft and that he would be more than just an average WR.
would rather get a WR, but I trust the FO
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

we already have an elite TE id rather have a decent #1 WR now
The only WRs who are signed for next year are Crabtree and Williams. Let's think about that for a second. Morgan might be back but he'll be a big question mark with his injury.

I'd be hoping that we'll draft one of the top-5 WRs available in the draft and that he would be more than just an average WR.

morgan's injury was a break right? no ligament damage? if that is so he will be back full strength no problem. There are less top tight ends in the draft the wr's, so I'd rather go TE 1st unless magically floyd or jefferys fell to us, then go wr in 2nd or 3rd. There are a bunch of good FA wrs available this year too
Share 49ersWebzone