There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

:::OFFICiAL::: 2012 NFL SCOUTING COMBINE THREAD

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I wish OTC would post his enterpretation of the times and whose stock is up and down. I didn't watch today

Which times? And what kind of interpretation are you looking for?

For DL, I think broad jump numbers and vertical are nice and all, but only tell of a players physical capabilities, but not how they will perform on the field. Get-off from the snap is critical. In the NFL, a poor get-off negates any explosive quality you have. Same for 3-4 OLBs.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
the big ? is can he develop to an every down guy.....but I had us taking him in my first mock and still think this kid (with proper coaching and time) will be a monster

He's very strong at the point of attack. He plays with good leverage and he's not just going to be washed out of the play. I really think with some work he could be a 3 down olb. He's an elite athlete and I've stood next to him, he's not small. He's naturally a big guy and he's naturally fast, he plays as fast or faster than he times. Yes certainly a guy that can carry 250 or 255 lbs and still be as athletic as he is now.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
the big ? is can he develop to an every down guy.....but I had us taking him in my first mock and still think this kid (with proper coaching and time) will be a monster

He's very strong at the point of attack. He plays with good leverage and he's not just going to be washed out of the play. I really think with some work he could be a 3 down olb. He's an elite athlete and I've stood next to him, he's not small. He's naturally a big guy and he's naturally fast, he plays as fast or faster than he times. Yes certainly a guy that can carry 250 or 255 lbs and still be as athletic as he is now.
I would like to see 10-15lbs of good weight added to his frame
Combine Fallers today:

ILB Burfict - Needed a great combine to help teams overlook his character concerns. Now he just made everything worse.

CB Minnifield - Weighed in WAY smaller than expected. Instead of 6-0 185, he checked in at 5-10 183. Only 7 reps on the bench will make it hard to justify taking him early in the draft. Will need to improve this at his pro day.

DEs Vinny Curry and Chandler Jones - Lack of timed speed will quiet most of the talk of any 3-4 OLB conversions.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM ]
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
heard kendricks killed it today

really wanted to draft the kid

think he will be gone before we pick in the 2nd round

don't really think he succeeds as a OLB in the NFL, and we certainly dont need a day 2 ILB

I guess Im the only one that see's ILB as a need

guess that depends if we resign grant too

but still
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I wish OTC would post his enterpretation of the times and whose stock is up and down. I didn't watch today

Which times? And what kind of interpretation are you looking for?

For DL, I think broad jump numbers and vertical are nice and all, but only tell of a players physical capabilities, but not how they will perform on the field. Get-off from the snap is critical. In the NFL, a poor get-off negates any explosive quality you have. Same for 3-4 OLBs.

I just meant risers and fallers mainly. Who do you think helped themself out today?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
heard kendricks killed it today

really wanted to draft the kid

think he will be gone before we pick in the 2nd round

don't really think he succeeds as a OLB in the NFL, and we certainly dont need a day 2 ILB

I guess Im the only one that see's ILB as a need

guess that depends if we resign grant too

but still

I don't know, to me in the first couple of rounds NEED = starter, and unless you can convince me you have a problem with either Bowman or Willis ...
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Combine Fallers today:

ILB Burfict - Needed a great combine to help teams overlook his character concerns. Now he just made everything worse.

CB Minnifield - Weighed in WAY smaller than expected. Instead of 6-0 185, he checked in at 5-10 183. Only 7 reps on the bench will make it hard to justify taking him early in the draft. Will need to improve this at his pro day.

DEs Vinny Curry and Chandler Jones - Lack of timed speed will quiet most of the talk of any 3-4 OLB conversions.


I disagree with Curry, he's still got a quick first step also his 3 cone drill time was terrific, I think he can contribute in a 3-4 capacity but his 40 time will definitely knock him down, no longer in late 1st round territory, that's for sure.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Vontaze Burfict ran a 5.1, the worst of all LBs. He also had the worst vertical of all LBs. His interviews are being described as "disastrous". Started the season as a top 15 pick, regressed to a late 1st, then a 2nd. Where does he go now? 4th?

Home.

Beyond disastrous. At one point, Burfict actually claimed the coaches at ASU messed him up.

Clearly, he didn't do much to prepare for the combine.

I would be surprised if he gets drafted before the 5th round, and he might not be drafted.

This is what you call a steal. Pure talent, that is dropping because of other reasons. Ahmad Brooks was a similar case. If he were to drop to the 4th or below, I'd pick him with a quickness.

The theft would be Burfict taking the money.

The worst part is that Burfict had all the ability (even with his history) to be a day one or early day two pick. All he had to do was get his agent to sign him up at Athletes' Performance (10 miles from the ASU campus) and train him up on the combine events and interviews.

Honestly, all he had to do was put in 8 solid weeks of combine prep, perform average for an LB, take his round 1 or round 2 money and then flame out in the NFL. He would've been a multi million dollar flame out. But because he didn't want to train (at all, seriously) he won't even have that option any more.

Vontaze Burfict legitimately had to try to dump his stock into the 4th round. Mission accomplished.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I don't know, to me in the first couple of rounds NEED = starter, and unless you can convince me you have a problem with either Bowman or Willis ...

I'm all in favor of depth but ILB is one of the last positions I'm concerned with depth at. I would say that depth at OLB, CB, FS and DE all trump ILB. If there's a guy that's tearing s**t up available in Rounds 4-7, I wouldn't too irate, especially if he can contribute on special teams.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Combine Fallers today:

ILB Burfict - Needed a great combine to help teams overlook his character concerns. Now he just made everything worse.

CB Minnifield - Weighed in WAY smaller than expected. Instead of 6-0 185, he checked in at 5-10 183. Only 7 reps on the bench will make it hard to justify taking him early in the draft. Will need to improve this at his pro day.

DEs Vinny Curry and Chandler Jones - Lack of timed speed will quiet most of the talk of any 3-4 OLB conversions.


I disagree with Curry, he's still got a quick first step also his 3 cone drill time was terrific, I think he can contribute in a 3-4 capacity but his 40 time will definitely knock him down, no longer in late 1st round territory, that's for sure.

It's not impossible, but it's rare to see a 5.0 rush linebacker. Curry is definitely best suited to a 4-3 defense where he doesn't have to cover. He'd be an immediate contributor and possible starter there without any transition needed.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I wish OTC would post his enterpretation of the times and whose stock is up and down. I didn't watch today

Which times? And what kind of interpretation are you looking for?

For DL, I think broad jump numbers and vertical are nice and all, but only tell of a players physical capabilities, but not how they will perform on the field. Get-off from the snap is critical. In the NFL, a poor get-off negates any explosive quality you have. Same for 3-4 OLBs.

I just meant risers and fallers mainly. Who do you think helped themself out today?

Helped:
OLB Nick Perry - 4.64, 35 reps, and 38 1/2 inch vertical at 6-3 271 will get teams thinking of the potential.
OLB Ronnell Lewis - 4.68, 36 reps and a productive college career spells at least an early 2nd round selection.
OLB Bruce Irvin - 4.50 is great, but film will determine where he goes I think. His get-off the snap was inconsistent.

CB Ron Brooks - Weighed in at 5-10 190, giving him real NFL size for the CB position. He had been in the 170s.
CB Omar Bolden - Well his arms are certainly healthy (25 reps, most of any DB at the combine). Lets see how he runs to see if that ACL injury has affected him.

ILB Luke Kuechly - Should be the first ILB off the board. His numbers don't lie, and now his physical measureables put him up even higher. Top performer in multiple areas.
ILB Mychal Kendricks - Fastest timed LB. Enough said.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by saniner:
This is pretty cool. Overlay of Luck, Newton, and RG3 running the 40.



If I were the Colts, I would at least kick the tires on RGIII. Not just because he runs like a WR, but because he really has the potential to play the QB position like no one has before. As Mayock said, Griffin is not a runner playing QB, he's a true pocket passer who can run like few others. He's essentially a mix of Aaron Rodgers and Michael Vick in terms of potential/talent/raw skills.

If I were the Rams GM I would seriously see if Washington, Miami, Cleveland, or Seattle was interested in giving up a #1 pick for Sam Bradford.(even if they had to pay part of the $$$) If so, I would make the deal and go ahead and draft RG3. As for the Colts... I may kick the tires but no way would I pass on Andrew Luck.

Agreed on both counts, but when it's all said and done, I think Griffin could end up being the better/more effective playmaker. But I get it, you can't pass up Luck and probably shouldn't....
Irvin spent a lot of time in the backfield, but even when he was stopped he has a great motor, he can regroup and chase a guy down to make the play, and he's shown the menality to when doing so to swa the ball out, something our defense did to put a couple of games away this year.. I just think he'd fit in really well in this defense.

Question is where, is he a 1st rounder? I don't know. But I doubt he isn't gone in the top 50 so if we want him it's either take him at #30 or move up/down to get him elsewhere.