There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

:::OFFICiAL::: 2012 NFL SCOUTING COMBINE THREAD

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I been in love with Poe for a minute now. That .40 time is crazy. These guys as a whole are putting up some monster numbers. Mike Martin would be great value if they could get him int eh 5th round. i watch all Michigan games and he plays with great leverage and instincts.

I do agree with the all and with the bolded, my question is, what about RJF and Ian Williams?

Dam and that's not even including Dobbs. Yea they could be overloaded on the d line but that's never a bad thing. Someone would have to go though.
Don't be fixated with the 40 time. Sprinting without full pads and someone chucking at you makes a lot difference. I keep saying this, why don't the NFL make these guys run with pads. They can use NFL guys like Calving Johnson and other at their position to set the bar.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Don't be fixated with the 40 time. Sprinting without full pads and someone chucking at you makes a lot difference. I keep saying this, why don't the NFL make these guys run with pads. They can use NFL guys like Calving Johnson and other at their position to set the bar.

yea I've never understood why a 40 yard dash holds so much weight. I think the shuttle drill is probably more important.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by sfout:
Trevor Guyton runs a 5.10

Melvin Ingram runs a 4.66... very nice

Bruce Irvin... looking too lean... runs a 4.50

At 6-3 though, 245 is pretty legit. Wasn't he listed in the 220s in college?

Just not liking what I see (build-wise) for a rush LB. Looks skinny...played around 230... not sure he can hold up vs the run or get push on pro OTs

same for me. He is another Aaron Maybin, both Bruce Irvin and Lavonte David have uphill battles to be every down LBs but IMO they'll both end up as 1 trick rushers just like Maybin.

Or like that Aldon Smith kid.

Look, I get your point, but innate pass rush skills are rare and hard to find in 6'3", 250lb packages. Sometimes you take a chance on a 3-4 OLB who can do what teams need the most right now (disrupt the QB) and teach him the less important skill (setting the edge/stopping the run), just like we did with Aldon.

Baalke said it best:

"They're all projections, right? They don't play it in college. You don't get a chance outside of maybe a few opportunities to see it on film, dropping and doing the things you're going to ask him to do as a 3-4 'backer. And then you get the pro day workout or the combine workout or a combination of the two to judge whether they can or can't do it. But that's really not the most important thing for that position. They're getting paid to be pass-rushers. That's No. 1. Then, they're going to set edges and play the run and do those kinds of things. And what they give you in the drop [pass coverage] game has to be just good enough."
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Or like that Aldon Smith kid.

Look, I get your point, but innate pass rush skills are rare and hard to find in 6'3", 250lb packages. Sometimes you take a chance on a 3-4 OLB who can do what teams need the most right now (disrupt the QB) and teach him the less important skill (setting the edge/stopping the run), just like we did with Aldon.

Baalke said it best:

"They're all projections, right? They don't play it in college. You don't get a chance outside of maybe a few opportunities to see it on film, dropping and doing the things you're going to ask him to do as a 3-4 'backer. And then you get the pro day workout or the combine workout or a combination of the two to judge whether they can or can't do it. But that's really not the most important thing for that position. They're getting paid to be pass-rushers. That's No. 1. Then, they're going to set edges and play the run and do those kinds of things. And what they give you in the drop [pass coverage] game has to be just good enough."

I get that but lets see: Clay Matthews at 6'3" and 255 and James Harrison at 6' and 242
Bruce Irvin would be nice. He can play the role Aldon had last year. Smith and Haralson would start, and he would be in on passing downs.
Originally posted by saniner:
Bruce Irvin would be nice. He can play the role Aldon had last year. Smith and Haralson would start, and he would be in on passing downs.

Not happening b/c Smith will still play the same role he did last year. He's not coming off the field on 3rd downs
Not happening b/c Smith will still play the same role he did last year. He's not coming off the field on 3rd downs

on 3rd down rushing its usually aldon and brooks as DE and justin and ray mac as DT irvin could just take over brooks spot if we dont resign him (im assuming if we dont resign brooks only then we would bother getting OLb in first 2 rounds)
The defensive depth in this draft is flabbergasting. Kendall Reyes is an all-around monster. 6-4 299 4.95 official now, 36 reps.

OLB Ronnell Lewis, another college beast, is another guy I see having no shot at making it to our 2nd rounder. 6-2 253 4.68 official time with 36 reps on the bench. He matched Reyes...
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
did the DBs run the 40 yard yet?
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Tomorrow, I believe.

I meant he would come in for Haralson like Smith did this last year.

EDIT - if we don't sign Brooks
[ Edited by saniner on Feb 27, 2012 at 1:08 PM ]
Vontaze Burfict ran a 5.1, the worst of all LBs. He also had the worst vertical of all LBs. His interviews are being described as "disastrous". Started the season as a top 15 pick, regressed to a late 1st, then a 2nd. Where does he go now? 4th?
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Tomorrow, I believe.

oh ok thanks
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Vontaze Burfict ran a 5.1, the worst of all LBs. He also had the worst vertical of all LBs. His interviews are being described as "disastrous". Started the season as a top 15 pick, regressed to a late 1st, then a 2nd. Where does he go now? 4th?

that is disgustingly slow

Remember Brandon Spikes was considered a 1st round pick until he ran a 5.0 40 then he was projected as a 3rd rounder and was drafted late 2nd by the Pats

But idk much about Vontaze Burfict honestly