LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

JReff22 Mock v.1

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Love the idea of trading back and accumulating picks, which bring up a really interesting question. If/when we win it all, does that change how we go about things in the off-season? In other words, after winning a championship, is it smarter to let some of your key free agents walk (Rogers, Brooks, Morgan, Ginn to be specific) and develop younger/cheaper players as a more sustained, longer-term approach to winning? Or do you try and keep your current roster in tact as much as possible, open up the checkbook for your current veterans and ride this wave?

Maybe it's a blending of the two, I don't know, but after we get our 6th ring in a few weeks, we'll all find out.

Btw, Pellerin is my favorite prospect here, though I think he's going to move up the boards come April. I like Dwight Jones, but I think we need someone who not only has size, but can also threaten downfield (especially if we resign Morgan)....IMO, guys like Tommy Streeter, Stephen Hill and Rueben Randle are more viable in that area.
I think Harbaugh's MO is to "get better." IMO, he and Baalke will keep the most financially viable and productive players as possible. They then will look to upgrade at a few spots and plug some holes elsewhere. I don't think they'll "ride the wave."

Should the Niners with the SB, everyone will come hunting for them next year. Also, with the slew of top QBs they'll face next year, they'll have to get better to even remain level.

When I said "ride the wave," I didn't mean to just float by and not try and get better, I meant ride the success of this current core group of players. It's more of a philosophical question of HOW do you get better? Keep most of this roster in tact as much as possible knowing that approach is more costly (but probably more conducive to repeat playoff appearances)? Or do you keep only selected components (Alex Smith, Dashon Goldson with the franchise tag, cheaper guys like Castonzo, Spillman, etc.), let the relatively higher priced free agents walk (Rogers, Morgan, Brooks, Snyder, etc.) and put in place a framework where every year, you can plug in draftees/cheaper veterans?

I personally think we'll go the latter route and not invest too heavily in high-priced free agents, and only re-sign a select few of our own.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM ]
Excellent draft and I LOVE trading down. Also really good feedback from the zone.

I think the Zeitler pick will pay huge dividends, he's as tough as tthey come and will improve the runninng game significantly.

I agree w/Ghost that letting the most expensive FA walk. Many quality FA who are on teams that have zero chance at a SBowl ring will come and play for less like Rogers did. Carr, CB Chiefs, is one who may fit the profile.

Also by letting the most expensive f*gents walk we may be able to pick up one very special FA who will impact our draft selections.

Thanks for the draftt annd please keep them coming
Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:
Like the way you think I would tweak it a bit I would select Ilotka instead of Hilton in the 3rd and then pick Devon Wylie in the 7th round
I also would select a DT in the 4th round (Jean-Baptiste)

Wylie has worked himself to a higher position then the 7th, and due to our draft spot we would have to take him one round early then normal. Also the reason I stayed away from the DL was due to the fact no DL drafted will start this year, regardless of round. RJF and Dobbs have locked down their positions, they wont get unseated anytime soon.
Originally posted by valrod33:
No CB until the 5th? No thanks

I was one of the loudest CB supporters this year but looking at how we have done, Brown and Culliver have played very well. Dumping Spencer and picking up a small school talent has little risk at this point. And this kid has been blowing it up at the East West Shrine game.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Solid draft and trade, I hope our draft really does look something like that.

And I see what you did there at Safety, I'd also like to see Colin Jones in the line-up or more than just Special Teams.

If Michael Floyd is doesn't fall to us, Dwight Jones is definitely my next choice, but I'd like to see us draft two big bodies at receiver. Maybe Greg Childs in the later rounds instead of drafting another Safety.

If Childs can check out medically, I would burn a late pick on him....but that wont be known until the combine
Love the idea of trading back and accumulating picks, which bring up a really interesting question. If/when we win it all, does that change how we go about things in the off-season? In other words, after winning a championship, is it smarter to let some of your key free agents walk (Rogers, Brooks, Morgan, Ginn to be specific) and develop younger/cheaper players as a more sustained, longer-term approach to winning? Or do you try and keep your current roster in tact as much as possible, open up the checkbook for your current veterans and ride this wave?

Maybe it's a blending of the two, I don't know, but after we get our 6th ring in a few weeks, we'll all find out.

Btw, Pellerin is my favorite prospect here, though I think he's going to move up the boards come April. I like Dwight Jones, but I think we need someone who not only has size, but can also threaten downfield (especially if we resign Morgan)....IMO, guys like Tommy Streeter, Stephen Hill and Rueben Randle are more viable in that area.

I came very close to letting Ginn go and with Hilton on the roster it still is a possibility. The only starter I would have no issues with leaving is Ginn.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I was one of the loudest CB supporters this year but looking at how we have done, Brown and Culliver have played very well. Dumping Spencer and picking up a small school talent has little risk at this point. And this kid has been blowing it up at the East West Shrine game.

Its true that the Niners CB depth has really improved this year, but it is still a thin position. If Balke gets a chance to add legit talent at the CB spot in the earlier rounds, he's got to pull the trigger. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the history of first round busts for WR vs. CB. I am going to stick with my BPA theory, but if all things are equal, it might be better to take a CB with their highest pick and then take a couple of WR's throughout the draft.

I came very close to letting Ginn go and with Hilton on the roster it still is a possibility. The only starter I would have no issues with leaving is Ginn.

If Ginn didn't cost too much and was relegated to special teams and 5-7 offensive snaps a game, I'd want him back. I just think we could get similar production (if not more) with the right rookie speedster/special teamer. In fact, Chris Rainey might be an option here too as he likely will need to make the transition to WR/special teamer.
Originally posted by Butter:

Its true that the Niners CB depth has really improved this year, but it is still a thin position. If Balke gets a chance to add legit talent at the CB spot in the earlier rounds, he's got to pull the trigger. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the history of first round busts for WR vs. CB. I am going to stick with my BPA theory, but if all things are equal, it might be better to take a CB with their highest pick and then take a couple of WR's throughout the draft.

We arent thin at CB, Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock, and Holcomb (IR) will be back next year...add in 1 rookie and that's a stacked deck. And considering Culliver was a 3rd rounder himself....not sure what else we want when the unit has played pretty solid.

If Ginn didn't cost too much and was relegated to special teams and 5-7 offensive snaps a game, I'd want him back. I just think we could get similar production (if not more) with the right rookie speedster/special teamer. In fact, Chris Rainey might be an option here too as he likely will need to make the transition to WR/special teamer.

Hilton, Hunter, and Williams could handle the duties if Ginn left. I do like Ginn but his lack of production on Offense really bothers me....holding a spot for a kid to catch punts and kickoffs is a waste.

Hilton, Hunter, and Williams could handle the duties if Ginn left. I do like Ginn but his lack of production on Offense really bothers me....holding a spot for a kid to catch punts and kickoffs is a waste.

Agreed.
Great mock! Love the trade and think we could do that this year and gain an extra first for next year. There''s some good talent in the second. Love the picks, too. Think Irvin will go before Jones though, but think both would be great picks. Would love to see a fattie, though.

So you don't think we will go after a RB, huh? Think Dixon is it and can be the player we want him to be? Cool.

We arent thin at CB, Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock, and Holcomb (IR) will be back next year...add in 1 rookie and that's a stacked deck. And considering Culliver was a 3rd rounder himself....not sure what else we want when the unit has played pretty solid.

I do not consider that to an elite group. IF Rogers walks in FA, Brown or Colliver will be covering the #1 WR. I suppose an argument could be made that the pass rush makes the secondary, but I'd love to see the Niners add another really good CB to that group. I love QB pressure from the front 7, but I also love to see coverage sacks. With the pass heavy league, I think secondary talent is important.
Originally posted by Butter:

I do not consider that to an elite group. IF Rogers walks in FA, Brown or Colliver will be covering the #1 WR. I suppose an argument could be made that the pass rush makes the secondary, but I'd love to see the Niners add another really good CB to that group. I love QB pressure from the front 7, but I also love to see coverage sacks. With the pass heavy league, I think secondary talent is important.

This is on the premonition that Rogers stays, if he leaves then CB goes to top priority. Pellerin is not a slouch, just a small school kid. Had he gone to LSU for instance then he would be a higher pick. Also Culliver is one more year vested at CB, something he will improve on with time...remember he is transitioning from FS. Hardin was a CB who will move to FS, he was injured pretty much the entire year so his stock is understandably low....but his size cannot be over looked. Hardin and Smith kind of follow the Seattle DB schematic, big kids who can cover big WR's and TE's.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Great mock! Love the trade and think we could do that this year and gain an extra first for next year. There''s some good talent in the second. Love the picks, too. Think Irvin will go before Jones though, but think both would be great picks. Would love to see a fattie, though.

So you don't think we will go after a RB, huh? Think Dixon is it and can be the player we want him to be? Cool.

Irvin and Jones have been projected all over the place from late first to late second. If Jones has a stellar combine then he would be top priority, also Irvin is still raw and will take time to become a complete OLB...Jones is more plug and play now.

Regarding RB. First Moran is gone so we need another guy. Rodriguez can play FB and TE so we get a 2 for 1 deal with him. He may not dress on a consistent basis but if we get any injury at RB, FB, or TE he can be activated and help in any area. I do have to admit that I love Polk and would like to bring him in...I just don't see it being that big of a need right now. Next year the passing game will open up a lot more so the wear and tear on Gore and Hunter should be a lot less.

Regarding the "fattie"...I dont want a kid for the sake of saying we got a fattie. Right now we have a stellar group of DL, the chance of a 6th or 7th rounder taking any of theier spots is very thin. Dobbs and RJF have filled in great this year and we really didnt miss a beat, remember McDonald and ICE have missed time with injures and we still held very strong. Tukuafu and Williams will fight for that last spot with a few UDFA going into the year. I do think it is a priority to add more talent but lets be real Justin does not miss games, ICE is better then any NT we will draft, and McDonald has been great this year....I cant see a rookie taking any playing time away from them. I would rather add an impact guy at another position who will play now. But like I said it is a priority....if we get our FA's signed and this draft does fill the holes needed I would add a monster in 2013 and by that I mean move up in the draft for whoever we want....jumping to the teens would be a real possibility IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone