LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

My 2012 Offseason Take #2

• sfout
  • Veteran
Re-sign:

Alex Smith - its so obvious I actually forget to write this in the first place.....

Dashon Goldson - Whether the improved play is directly linked to an improved pass rush he has at minimum earned a franchise tag while we work out a long term deal.

Carlos Rogers - There is no reason to panic, Rogers seems willing to take a hometown discount and Baalke will oblige.

Ted Ginn - There is no reason to think he'll be gone, especially if we draft a capable receiver to compete with Morgan and Williams or hell even unseat Crabtree as the #1

Josh Morgan - It's a no brainer to bring him back on a short term deal to kick the tires for a full season in the new system

Ahmad Brooks - Brooks has really shined under Frangio's guidance, he could be hard to keep but I think he'll ultimately stick around.

Reggie Smith - Reggie will be hungry and we could lose him in FA but he is unproven and his best chance at success is here with us. We might lose Goldson in FA or decide he isn't worth it after year so keeping Reggie is a big deal.

Adam Snyder - Snyder replacing Rachal was essentially the the turning point for our OL. We need him back.

Blake Costanzo - Core special teamer for Seely. He'll definitely be inked to a some kind of a long term deal.

Tavares Gooden - Same can be said for Gooden and need I remind everyone that we actually wanted to trade for him, even if it was conditional 7th that says something about the guy.

C.J. Spillman - Another core special teamer, if I'm not mistaken he's the captain of the ST. He is a capable back up as well.

Larry Grant - He'll require a good deal of money to keep around but I think he likes it here and will stick, I don't think he has the size to play through a full season as starter elsewhere in the league.

Tramaine Brock - 4th CB and has essentially got Spencer cut already. No reason to cut ties with Brock and retain Spencer when he's outplayed him all season, when all is said in done Brock will probably be our 5th CB.

Not retained:

Moran Norris - 2 FBs on the roster? Not when we could use it to carry a 4th TE or extra DB

Chilo Rachal - He's worn out his welcome here and we've got lineman just chomping at the bit to take his spot.

Justin Peele - Service 3rd TE. Honestly he could be back but not Byham and Reuland vying for the 3rd and/or 4th TE spot as I mentioned above.

Madieu Williams - He stepped up but he falls victim to us getting younger.

Brett Swain - We need to upgrade our WRs and this guy has done a good job filling a body need but is in no way capable of playing a big role in our offense.

Will Tukuafu - A slightly controversial choice I admit but I really see us going after a lineman in the draft and I've personally never been overly impressed by him.

Cut:

Shawntae Spencer - Cutting Spencer is a complete given. If Brock a 2nd year player has unseated a 8 year veteran as the 4th CB for the playoffs you can kiss him good bye for next season. Not to mention we save $3.2 Million that can go towards re-signing a couple veterans to 1 year minimum deals.

Draft:

1. Peter Konz C/OG Wisconsin - An instrumental piece in Wisconsin's scary running game as helped provide protection for Tolzien on their way to a Rose Bowl as well as Russell Wilson when he was getting his Heisman hype. Having him apprentice under Goodwin for a year or 2 will do no harm. He could also step in at RG if needed.

2. Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt - Culliver is clearly being groomed heavily as future starter but Hayward is a physical ball hall hawk that would thrive in our system. We would be foolish to pass on him.

3. Audie Cole LB NC State - What has JH and Baalke preach about all year? If you guessed versatility then this guy should be a great pick. A backer who has played both outside and inside linebacker just like Tavares Gooden. He could prove to be a great value pick and at 6-5 240 he has a rangy body similar to that of Aldon, add a little bulk and this guy could be just as beastly.

4. Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M - I was thinking about sending Jeffery to us in the first especially since the entire nfl.com draft group has us taking one there but I keep going back to the fact that we're looking for a guy to essentially split time with Morgan. Fuller could move up by draft season but I think he makes a ton of sense here.

5. Travian Robertson DE South Carolina - He had an average college career to be honest but is at least a serviceable back up in the NFL based on the talent he flashed. Note: I had this pick before reading the practice reports from the shrine game and the good news only reaffirms my choice.

6. Conroy Black CB Utah - A track star who has quickly become a standout starter for the U over the past 2 years after transferring from the JUCO level, has the size that we want our DBs to have at 6'0" 185.

7. Jerell Young FS South Florida - A developmental safety prospect. Also had this pick penciled in before the shrine practices and I still see him as good project.

Comments and criticism please.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM ]
Nice job
so were going with the same wr corp but adding a 4th rd rookie??
no Alex?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

So you're obviously a supporter of us drafting Jeffery or Floyd otherwise you wouldn't take issue with this.

I'm going off the fact that JH wants Morgan back and to entice him back he'd probably be splitting time with the another guy as the #2. I'm a big Jeffery supporter but I'm just being realistic that by advocating the idea of bringing Morgan back we've decided he is at least capable of carrying a chunk of the snaps at #2.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
no Alex?

ZZOMG!!! HOWD I MISS IT!!!!

I think I was just thinking it was given lol.

Fixed.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
no Alex?

ZZOMG!!! HOWD I MISS IT!!!!

I think I was just thinking it was given lol.

Fixed.

I figured.

I like the offseason, only thing might be will could lose Snyder or Brooks.

But overall a hell of an offseason.

Probably because Morgan was making big strides before he got hurt. If he comes back healthy and continues the early season roll he was on, our WR corps would be better. Fuller would be a good value pick in the 4th round.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Probably because Morgan was making big strides before he got hurt. If he comes back healthy and continues the early season roll he was on, our WR corps would be better. Fuller would be a good value pick in the 4th round.

i like morgan and all but im not satisfied with a wr group that cant constantly get open, with all the possible wr free agents i would hope we go for at least 1 of those guys. i'll be satisfied with a group of say stevie johnson/colston, crabtree, morgan, williams and the rookie. i want someone that defenses have to worry about and key on and not having to say you stop vernon and you have a great chance to win.
Fuller has starting potential, he just battled injuries and some inconsistent offensive play, in my opinion. I think he can rebound, and is worth a shot in the 3rd-4th.

I think Williams is a good package-specific receiver that has room to go, but he does have a history of injuries and we need insurance for both him AND Morgan AND Crabtree.

I think we need to add two receivers and possibly go with 6 next season. Crabtree had the foot, Morgan the broken leg, Williams had hamstring and concussion, Walker the jaw and other various nicks in the past, Byham the knee. I keep saying, we need to cover our bases. I think we need to bring a bunch of receivers into camp. I say at least 8, and 4-5 TEs.

Maybe something like...

WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Rookie, Williams, Ginn, Rookie, Bogan, Hastings

TE - Davis, Walker, Byham, Reuland, Rookie

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Fuller has starting potential, he just battled injuries and some inconsistent offensive play, in my opinion. I think he can rebound, and is worth a shot in the 3rd-4th.

I think Williams is a good package-specific receiver that has room to go, but he does have a history of injuries and we need insurance for both him AND Morgan AND Crabtree.

I think we need to add two receivers and possibly go with 6 next season. Crabtree had the foot, Morgan the broken leg, Williams had hamstring and concussion, Walker the jaw and other various nicks in the past, Byham the knee. I keep saying, we need to cover our bases. I think we need to bring a bunch of receivers into camp. I say at least 8, and 4-5 TEs.

Maybe something like...

WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Rookie, Williams, Ginn, Rookie, Bogan, Hastings

TE - Davis, Walker, Byham, Reuland, Rookie
This..I think at Receiver we need to double dip..1 maybe earlier in the draft and 1 later towards the end.
I really like your FA Niners re-signings

But I really dont want to take a 1st round Center, I know alot of guys are really high on Konz...but we have MUCH more pressing needs. CB and WR are two positions we need more talent on, that upgrades our starters. I like picking CB with the 2nd pick and WR Fuller with the 4th, but I'd like to see a WR at #32 . We need to take a shot at a tall pass catching TE also. Good late picks at CB and FS.
I definitely would be thrilled to have an offseason like this. I think many of us saw what happen when Chilo came into the game again. Our Offensive output dwindles to the point of a pee-wee football offense. The man needs to go. I honestly would've probably axed him rather than Braylon Edwards...then again, now that I think of it, its actually a toss-up to who actually brings our team down more with their play. I think the receiver deal for us is simply getting maybe James Jones from the Packers (bring him back home!!) and a rookie will suffice our Receiver woes.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd be amazed, no I'd be shocked if we re-sign that many of our own free agents.
I love your explanations regarding the re-signs as well as the Konz pick at number 1...a guy who could help anchor the line for the next 10 years. I could even go with taking a CB with the number 2 pick. After that however, I think you dropped off a bit, even though I like Black pick at number 6.

I think it is pretty clear now that one of the weakest areas on the team is WR. Since Baalke and Co. want to build through the draft rather than spend a lot in free agency on big name players, waiting until pick 4 seems unlikely.

Like many other zoners, I think the Niners will actually draft 2 wideouts...a burner to help stretch the field and an athletic guy that can consistently get separation. Only Davis at TE seems to be able to get separation and that simply won't cut in the NFL...

Still, there is a lot to like here....nice job overall.

Cheers!
Share 49ersWebzone