LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 406 users in the forums

My 2012 Offseason Take #2

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillis52:
If we could somehow land Carl Nicks, I would switch the Konz pick to Jeffrey. But in the likely event that that won't happen, I would be very pleased with this situation!

Yea in an ideal world I want Nicks but with the possible $45 million in cap space needing to go to Alex, Morgan, Brooks, Rogers, Goldson that's easy at least $5 mill a pop just for the first years of their deals which adds up to $25 mill with a +/- of $5 Mill. 15-20 million sounds like a stretch to sign a high profile agent plus take care of the back ups on top signing all or the bulk of those 5 listed.

EDIT: Drafting a WR and signing Meachem sounds like a good idea to me. IMO the saints realize that they need Colston to keep their offense rolling and focus on retaining him. I just jumped on a saints forum to get their feel on their FA's they've got a lot of people to worry about and I don't have a hard time believing that Meachem and maybe even Colston falls through the cracks while they focus on protecting Brees and shoring up there defense.

EDIT2: I've really tried to stress that I think Brooks will be the only player to follow the money. So drafting an OLB for dirt cheap and focusing the money that we offered Brooks on a potent FA signing like Colston, Nicks, Finnegan, or don't hold your breath Mario Williams seems like a real possibility.

Originally posted by nw9erfan:
This is turning into a very interesting thread... I do like your thinking regarding the PS players this year. I think WR Bogan, TE Reuland, C Beeler, and NT Williams, for example, could really surprise next year in training camp and even before the draft in mini camps. All have a chance to make the 53 man roster next season, I believe.

At this point, the team should have some idea about what the PS guys are capable of...and certainly would know if the guys are working hard and grasping the schemes and system. Given that, it is really difficult to predict what they will do in the draft.....other than go after a wideout or two.

One weakness that I've noticed with all the Niners WRs is that they don't get a lot of separation. I'm wondering which of the bigger WRs in the draft have that ability... Feel free to chime in on that if you know of any....those guys are the ones that the team will likely target.

Cheers!

I really think our PS players and current rookies can have a strong impact on the decision making leading up to FA and the draft. Hopefully we get it right but I couldn't be more excited to know that Bogan and Holcomb, both players the coaching staff love, are waiting in the wings for their opportunity. Just hope they take advantage of it.

I haven't watched more then ESPN highlights of Sanu but from what everyone keeps saying, he could be a guy that provides some real separation. I'm not thinking of breakaway speed though, I'm thinking about cushion from DBs. If I was thinking pure speed to separate from DBs I'd say Wright, Hilton, Keshawn Martin, LaVon Brazill, guys like that could really get past CBs.

Originally posted by mayo49:
I think we'll be picking a WR a little earlier. Nice mock, though.

Gratze. I don't see us taking a WR in the second so for me, it's 1st round or 3rd/4th. The second round prospects all look a little enigmatic, not sure if they'll pan out, Dwight Jones particularly.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM ]
I really think our PS players and current rookies can have a strong impact on the decision making leading up to FA and the draft. Hopefully we get it right but I couldn't be more excited to know that Bogan and Holcomb, both players the coaching staff love, are waiting in the wings for their opportunity. Just hope they take advantage of it.

I haven't watched more then ESPN highlights of Sanu but from what everyone keeps saying, he could be a guy that provides some real separation. I'm not thinking of breakaway speed though, I'm thinking about cushion from DBs. If I was thinking pure speed to separate from DBs I'd say Wright, Hilton, Keshawn Martin, LaVon Brazill, guys like that could really get past CBs.

Well, I mentioned that I think the team should draft one burner at WR and another wideout that can get separation / cushion from DBs, especially in the red zone. Sanu and one of the speed guys you just mentioned could be the way they go...

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

Well, I mentioned that I think the team should draft one burner at WR and another wideout that can get separation / cushion from DBs, especially in the red zone. Sanu and one of the speed guys you just mentioned could be the way they go...

Cheers!

Championship!

simple as that.
I'm not sold on either Morgan or Crabtree as starters. Neither qualify as a #1. Crabtree's dropped foot problems, dropped passes and disappearance in games such as against N.O. suggests he may not be even #2 material. While Morgan is a good receiver and blocker, there's nothing special in his game. The Niners' history with FA receivers have mostly been complete failures. I say the Niners should get a FA guard or center and two of the top four draft picks should be WR, Jeffrey and Hilton or Wright and Hill, even Sanu and Fleenor.

The Niners' CBs are pretty well set with Rogers, Brown, Culliver and Brock.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I'm not sold on either Morgan or Crabtree as starters. Neither qualify as a #1. Crabtree's dropped foot problems, dropped passes and disappearance in games such as against N.O. suggests he may not be even #2 material. While Morgan is a good receiver and blocker, there's nothing special in his game. The Niners' history with FA receivers have mostly been complete failures. I say the Niners should get a FA guard or center and two of the top four draft picks should be WR, Jeffrey and Hilton or Wright and Hill, even Sanu and Fleenor.

The Niners' CBs are pretty well set with Rogers, Brown, Culliver and Brock.

Yea the last two games really made me wonder about Crabtree -- Was it game plan or did he really just disappear?

After watching our lack of offense I really think we carry 4 TEs and 6 WRs on our 53 roster. We need to add at least 2 new WRs and probably 1 new TE this off season.
Share 49ersWebzone