LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 181 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins WR Illinois

• 8to80
Meh. He looks like he'll be a contributer. Not sure why we drafted a speed WR here when we already have Manningham, Ginn, and maybe Moss. I could understand if we were running a spread offense with a gunslinger QB, but we aren't. The draft is far from over, so I still have great faith. I'm sure there's gonna be some great maneuvering by Harbaalke.
[ Edited by 8to80 on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM ]
Originally posted by 8to80:
Meh. He looks like he'll be a contributer. Not sure why we drafted a speed WR here when we already have Manningham, Ginn, and maybe Moss. I could understand if we were running a spread offense with a gunslinger QB, but we aren't. The draft is far from over, so I still have great faith. I'm sure there's gonna be some great maneuvering by Harbaalke.

you get the bpa, and in their minds, Jenkins was the BPA
Originally posted by 8to80:

would you have liked a slow wr?

I prefer a WR who can get open, run good routes and catch the ball, I don't care how big/fast he is as long as he is effective
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by escobar49:
People keep saying bye bye Kyle Willams but they need to realize that hes not going anywhere. Moss will be gone after this season, Ginn is mainly a punt returner who also is a free agent after this season. So that leaves us with Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, and Kyle. I'm not expecting anything from Moss this year and positive that those 4 wideouts will get most of the playing time this year. People need to cut Kyle a break. The kid screwed us over but he's YOUNG and has lot of potential.

yea. I agree with this.

He looks more like Crabtrees replacment than williams.
I still like Sanu in the third (our third)
I still like Sanu in the third (our third)

Could still be a lot of good WRs at 61 or 92 just not sure we will go that route again. Maybe late... time to add some depth at OL, DB, DL, etc
So we now have 4 first round picks in our WR corp

Crabtree
Moss
Ginn
Jenkins
I like to add depth at DL, OLB, and CB also, but if a "star" WR falls in the third, the niners must get him. Next year, we only have four WR on the roster.
Originally posted by escobar49:
People keep saying bye bye Kyle Willams but they need to realize that hes not going anywhere. Moss will be gone after this season, Ginn is mainly a punt returner who also is a free agent after this season. So that leaves us with Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, and Kyle. I'm not expecting anything from Moss this year and positive that those 4 wideouts will get most of the playing time this year. People need to cut Kyle a break. The kid screwed us over but he's YOUNG and has lot of potential.

well we also have another draft next year, so kyle may very well be gone, not like he is an irreplaceable talent

I don't believe that at all. I have SERIOUS concerns if they believe that Jenkins is the best player available. This was clearly a NEED pick. Harbaugh got burned last year when it came to WR depth. Edwards, Morgan and Williams all fizzled or went down with injuries. Harbaugh is trying to cover himself against that.

Personally thought they should have went with Fleener.

Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:
I don't believe that at all. I have SERIOUS concerns if they believe that Jenkins is the best player available. This was clearly a NEED pick. Harbaugh got burned last year when it came to WR depth. Edwards, Morgan and Williams all fizzled or went down with injuries. Harbaugh is trying to cover himself against that.

Fleener is nice and the logical choice, but we also needed speed, and jenkins provides that.
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:

Well if ALL OF THOSE GUYS FIZZLED and Moss has arthritic knees and hasn't played in a year and failed with his last 2 teams then maybe just maybe this was a real good pick....
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I LOVE the pick.

If you've been following my commentary, I said Givens or Jenkins were the two most underrated recievers in the draft.

Both are very similar, and I think both will turn out to be two of the best out of the WR class. Jenkins has higher marks in character, so it makes perfect sense (he must of had a golden helmet).

Don't listen to these "experts" saying he was drafted too early. Anyone that watched Jenkins knows what he brings. No WR in the entire class brings his great mix of speed and quickness.

You know what Trent and Jim mean by golden helmet? Good character guy? Team leader? 49ers type of guy?

Yep, I know what gold helmet means. AJ Jenkins is a high character guy.

For any haters out there for this pick, you are going to eat a s**t load of crow.

This dude has more explosiveness and quick twitch athleticism out of any WR in this class. Just pull up a YouTube clip and watch how fast he breaks out of cuts, its crazy.

And no thats not how I base my opinion of him. I'm an ASU fan (hence screen name), we played Illinois this year and I was amazed by him (and Mercilus) and followed Illinois through out the year. I'm more surprised that Baalke had a similar assessment then anything because so many draft sites had him low.

Early on, draft sites had this guy as a SIXTH round prospect. At the time, I had him as a 3rd rounder, and I believe MD one-upped me with having him as a 2nd rounder (MD deserves credit, he was big on Jenkins very early on). I thought Chris Givens from Wake Forest looked slightly better in college but Givens carried character issues whereas I think Jenkins would get a gold helmet from the staff.

Edit: I hope someone makes a list of the haters, I can't wait to see them all eat crow.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM ]
who is this MD?
Share 49ersWebzone