There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AJ Jenkins WR Illinois

Baalke said he was sure Jenkins would be taken very early Day 2. Guy made his move, was sure of it the night before. Glad he had the balls to pull the trigger and take the man he wanted.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
A playmaker with some swagger coming out of Illinois... reminds me a bit of Brandon Lloyd.

Originally posted by DENden223:
Possibly can transform into our version of Roddy White? There's potential, every scout says he's fluid with his routes and creates good seperation. Isn't that crucial for a west coast offense?

Here are some other guys in his hight and weight range.

Reggie Wayne 6-0 198 - Reggie is a great player. This could fit if A.J. hit the weight room a little.

Greg Jennings 5-11 198 - Everyone knows how good he is, and how much he means to Aaron Rodgers.

Mike Wallace. 6-0 190 - Maybe A.J. is the reason we didn't persue Wallace, that and the obsurd contract and draft pick compensation it would have taken.

I think regardless he can stand to hit the weight room, especially if he gets a year to adjust and develop. If he becomes anything close to any one of the guys listed above this pick will be more than worth it. I have to admit the pick shocked me. I don't hate the pick, I just wasn't ready for it. I honestly don't yet know much about him. I am going to be hitting youtube over the next couple of days lol. I think that with the way we drafted last year this staff has earned at least a little trust with this pick. As always, I am going to reserver judgement until I learn more about him, and see him on the field.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM ]
I LOVE the pick.

If you've been following my commentary, I said Givens or Jenkins were the two most underrated recievers in the draft.

Both are very similar, and I think both will turn out to be two of the best out of the WR class. Jenkins has higher marks in character, so it makes perfect sense (he must of had a golden helmet).

Don't listen to these "experts" saying he was drafted too early. Anyone that watched Jenkins knows what he brings. No WR in the entire class brings his great mix of speed and quickness.
I AM SHOCKED......but I'm not a scout and I'm not Trent Baalke.

I have to admit, I didn't know about Jenkins but watching the film I noticed some things and reading the bio on different sites, I picked up some information.

He's a great route runner. The guy is very smooth in making his cuts and moves, he seems to get the most out of his speed like the Great One Jerry Rice. And he was timed well at the combine, a 4.39 guy which is fast.

He got great production in college which is a trademark indicator for Baalke meaning he won't go for just a workout warrior like Stephen Hill whose production in college was nothing to be desired. He also doesn't have the best quarterback throwing to him either, I saw that he had to adjust to the ball a lot.

He's a "Gold Helmet" high character guy, or that's what Baalke and Trent said, and that is huge for the team. They really want smart, character and die hard football guys. When you are building a selfless team that sacrifices for each other, you need guys like that.

He's a smart dude. I think that means a lot in the nfl when you are running the West Coast Offense, you have to make a lot of reads and adjust your routes

The best thing though is that Baalke is implying that Jenkins played hurt in college. I think that is superhuge. Aldon was the same way in his last year in college. And both still got great production and played through injuries and in the NFL you HAVE TO DO THAT.

Day two is going to be huge. I'm smelling a trade up in the early second.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I LOVE the pick.

If you've been following my commentary, I said Givens or Jenkins were the two most underrated recievers in the draft.

Both are very similar, and I think both will turn out to be two of the best out of the WR class. Jenkins has higher marks in character, so it makes perfect sense (he must of had a golden helmet).

Don't listen to these "experts" saying he was drafted too early. Anyone that watched Jenkins knows what he brings. No WR in the entire class brings his great mix of speed and quickness.

You know what Trent and Jim mean by golden helmet? Good character guy? Team leader? 49ers type of guy?
One more thing that is KEY for Baalke and Harbaugh......he can play all of the WR positions. He is versatile if are WR's go down. That's huge for gameplannning.
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=783139-rams-worked-out-a.j.-jenkins

The Rams were eyeing him, they are crying now.
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:

don't the rams own the 33rd pick? Baalke was right if that was the case.

Yeah, like Trent said we let the story playout we will find out teams wanted him a lot earlier than the media thought. He said there was a good chance we lose him if we traded down to 35 and if he was our guy all along no sense in losing him for a 4th rounder.

Like someone posted as well.. King talked to another team that was WR needy and they had Jenkins higher than Michael Floyd.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM ]
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

don't the rams own the 33rd pick? Baalke was right if that was the case.
we worked out players we didnt draft...doesnt mean anything
People keep saying bye bye Kyle Willams but they need to realize that hes not going anywhere. Moss will be gone after this season, Ginn is mainly a punt returner who also is a free agent after this season. So that leaves us with Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, and Kyle. I'm not expecting anything from Moss this year and positive that those 4 wideouts will get most of the playing time this year. People need to cut Kyle a break. The kid screwed us over but he's YOUNG and has lot of potential.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I LOVE the pick.

I like the pick a lot too.
Gold Helmet means that he's a high character guy. They have talked about that in the past. Baalke and Harbaugh agree that is something that want from a player. If you have selfless players you can move mountains. Baalke also said he doesn't consider a lot of guys if they have questionable character so Janoris Jenkins probably isn't on their list if you follow that reasoning.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Gold Helmet means that he's a high character guy. They have talked about that in the past. Baalke and Harbaugh agree that is something that want from a player. If you have selfless players you can move mountains. Baalke also said he doesn't consider a lot of guys if they have questionable character so Janoris Jenkins probably isn't on their list if you follow that reasoning.

yet we sign Cox
Originally posted by escobar49:
People keep saying bye bye Kyle Willams but they need to realize that hes not going anywhere. Moss will be gone after this season, Ginn is mainly a punt returner who also is a free agent after this season. So that leaves us with Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, and Kyle. I'm not expecting anything from Moss this year and positive that those 4 wideouts will get most of the playing time this year. People need to cut Kyle a break. The kid screwed us over but he's YOUNG and has lot of potential.

yea. I agree with this.