LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins WR Illinois

Originally posted by Joecool:
The evidence is already there that shows receivers who come onto teams with top QB's make near immediate impacts and sustain the production.

I think that's rarely the case Cobb was 2nd round pick for packers had Luke 300 yards in that offense

Typically wr make immediate impact if pro ready or elite prospect regardless qb
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on May 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by strickac:
If Moss stays focused and plays this year, AJ shouldn't see much action this year. Mario probably moves to the slot on 3 WR sets.

He's a good pick if Moss gets cut or there's an injury to either Moss, Crabs or Mario. Otherwise, I don't really see him getting on the field often. Next year though, Moss will probably move on and AJ will have a year of experience under his belt.

Ya that's exactly why they brought in 3 new recievers. I think Brett Swain was our 3rd reciever in some games last year so I have no problem with loading up at that position even if our first rounder doesn't play a lot this year.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
The evidence is already there that shows receivers who come onto teams with top QB's make near immediate impacts and sustain the production.

I think that's rarely the case Cobb was 2nd round pick for packers had Luke 300 yards in that offense

Typically wr make immediate impact if pro ready or elite prospect regardless qb

the top passing teams have majority WR's that were not high picks which means not pro ready. The evidence is there.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
Originally posted by strickac:
If Moss stays focused and plays this year, AJ shouldn't see much action this year. Mario probably moves to the slot on 3 WR sets.

He's a good pick if Moss gets cut or there's an injury to either Moss, Crabs or Mario. Otherwise, I don't really see him getting on the field often. Next year though, Moss will probably move on and AJ will have a year of experience under his belt.

Ya that's exactly why they brought in 3 new recievers. I think Brett Swain was our 3rd reciever in some games last year so I have no problem with loading up at that position even if our first rounder doesn't play a lot this year.

I don't think AJ will be sitting on the bench often. He's a polished 1st round WR. He will get substantial playing time so he's fully developed for 2013 if our short term contracted receivers don't come back. It would not be a good idea to "redshirt" AJ and have him partially ready for 2013. You want him partially ready for 2012 and fully ready for 2013.

Also, Harbaugh has not shown to sit rookies. If they are ready, they will play a key role in the offense.
I don't think AJ will be sitting on the bench often. He's a polished 1st round WR. He will get substantial playing time so he's fully developed for 2013 if our short term contracted receivers don't come back. It would not be a good idea to "redshirt" AJ and have him partially ready for 2013. You want him partially ready for 2012 and fully ready for 2013.

Also, Harbaugh has not shown to sit rookies. If they are ready, they will play a key role in the offense.

I'm all for him playing this year, but right now he's the 4th best reciever on the team unless he shows something. I definitely say let him get in some games and show off that speed and those hands. Now we won't just be in the jumbo two tight end package a lot. We can go 4 wide reciever which is something that was hard to do with the injuries last year. If anyone can make all the offensive weapons work together it's our coach. I'm really excited about the whole team. Outside of QB we are the most talented team in the league with only a spot or two open for competition. We all know Alex thrived in the shot gun when Martz put him there after we had tanked the beginning of the season that year. More shotgun this year and Alex should throw more touchdowns and be comfortable. A lot of guys he can throw to now.
Which receivers will develop:

1. rapport with Smith
  2. understanding of the system
  3. route accountability
  4. dependability
  5. reliable health

Harbaugh will not play guys just because they have names or big contracts. He will allow the competition to determine who starts and how much each plays.

Where is the evidence? and for every WR who comes onto the scene and makes an impact, where are his surrounding WR? How many WR for that team got cut, how many are on the practice squad, how many were on the practice squad and got cut. Why is the number 3 not producing.

I figure a team could bring in as many as 3 to 5 new WR each season, what percentage are the ones you are talking about? What other factors could be their cause? Why havn't you asked any of these questions before coming up with this grand generalization.
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Where is the evidence? and for every WR who comes onto the scene and makes an impact, where are his surrounding WR? How many WR for that team got cut, how many are on the practice squad, how many were on the practice squad and got cut. Why is the number 3 not producing.

I figure a team could bring in as many as 3 to 5 new WR each season, what percentage are the ones you are talking about? What other factors could be their cause? Why havn't you asked any of these questions before coming up with this grand generalization.

Here is some quotes from Jenkin's QB and coaches: http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/05/08/all-things-a-j-from-his-nfl-position-slot-to-his-nickname-stank/

"I think they're looking to put him in the slot a little bit more in San Francisco," QB Scheelhaase said. "We would have loved to do that a lot, but when we put him in the slot it was easier for teams to double-team him. If you put him outside, you at least give him a chance to get in more one-on-ones and get him away from a lot of people.

"When we put him in the slot, there would be a lot of times where there would be a linebacker there and a safety with help coming from everywhere it seemed like. That's something he won't have to deal with as much with as many great receivers as they have in San Francisco."

* Jenkins had 90 catches as a senior. The Illini's second-leading receiver had 26. The disparity had something to do with the trust Scheelhaase had in Jenkins, an exacting route-runner.
"He's fast guy for sure, but he's a guy that runs great routes," Scheelhaase said. "He's real precise. From a quarterback standpoint, he runs the same route every time and he's in the same spot every time. It makes it easy on you. I was able to develop a rhythm with him. I was just confident he was going to make plays. And he ended up doing that quite a bit for us."

* One of Jenkins' best routes, Scheelhaase said, was a drag across the middle. Jenkins excelled because of his quickness and fearlessness.

"He's good at sticking linebackers, making them think he's going to do something else and either going over or under them," Scheelhaase said. "He's not afraid. That's the first thing you notice when you see him running that many of those routes. Linebackers knew he'd be coming across middle and he was never afraid to go there. He made a lot of plays in that area."

* In the first six games of his senior year, Jenkins had 46 catches for 815 yards and seven touchdowns. In his final seven games, he had 44 catches for 453 yards and one touchdown.

Zook said the drop-off had something to do with the extra attention Jenkins began to receive. He also said Jenkins would have benefited from better quarterback play.

"Nathan, as much as I love him like a son, we didn't get him the ball," Zook said. "Nathan is more a running-type quarterback than he is a throwing-type quarterback. We didn't do as good a job of getting A.J. the football later in the year."

Lastly, here is what Jenkin's previous coach at Illinois, Petrino says:
Petrino, who arrived at Illinois after Jenkins' 10-catch sophomore season, quickly recognized he had NFL potential. As the Falcons receivers coach in 2007, Petrino worked with Roddy White, who had the first of five straight 1,000 yard seasons.

"(A.J.) has great hands, number one," Petrino said. "Then you just start out on the JUGS machine and you're shooting him balls, he has nice, soft hands. He can catch balls at all different angles and he catches the ball away from his body all the time. He has great speed and then he has the ability to sink his hips and get in and out of breaks. He really has all the traits that you look for in a great receiver."

Sounds like AJ will be contributing this season.
Bump for the lulz on page 1

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

lol. I completely forgot someone made a thread about him.....and double lulz with you correctly predicting a 1st round selection of him
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

LULZ

We got so much hate for that
I think AJ could contribute now but I can see why him and James have been in-active for these games. How many teams can say they don't need their 1st and 2nd round picks? These guys were drafted for the future. I could see them getting action later in the season. Maybe Miami at home or against the Cards at home the last game if there is nothing to gain. And as for them being in-active I don't think it has anything to do with them as much as it does how good and deep our team is. I think we have the best talent from top to bottom in the NFL. With that being said I see both playing a big role next year. If Moss and Ginn are gone AJ is the #3 or 4 wr after Crabtree, Manningham, then AJ/Kyle. James would be the #3 RB if Jacobs isn't back. Like I said I think both could contribute now but we have the luxury of letting them sit back and learn. Take the pressure off of making a rookie carry the team. They can work on those mental issues, ball security, etc. They can come in fresh next year knowing the playbook and being ready mentally to handle everything.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think AJ could contribute now but I can see why him and James have been in-active for these games. How many teams can say they don't need their 1st and 2nd round picks? These guys were drafted for the future. I could see them getting action later in the season. Maybe Miami at home or against the Cards at home the last game if there is nothing to gain. And as for them being in-active I don't think it has anything to do with them as much as it does how good and deep our team is. I think we have the best talent from top to bottom in the NFL. With that being said I see both playing a big role next year. If Moss and Ginn are gone AJ is the #3 or 4 wr after Crabtree, Manningham, then AJ/Kyle. James would be the #3 RB if Jacobs isn't back. Like I said I think both could contribute now but we have the luxury of letting them sit back and learn. Take the pressure off of making a rookie carry the team. They can work on those mental issues, ball security, etc. They can come in fresh next year knowing the playbook and being ready mentally to handle everything.

both just need to bulk up

they both have al the tools to be great players especialy aj jenkins who has everything you look for

but both are built too small to play in nfl
He will probably play more late in the season when he has his timing down more with Alex and the trust factor between them. Plus by then Moss will be injured with the bad knees. Or he may give up since we don't throw him the ball much (Moss). So I see AJ getting back half season time. And more in year #2. I still think he will be fine and people are way too panicked.
Share 49ersWebzone