LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, WR

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Stephen Hill fits all the measurable qualities that we need in a WR:
1. Height: 6-4. Fantastic for the red zone.
2. Weight: 215. Should be more than adept at run blocking.
3. Speed: 4.3. Enough to get down the field.

To me, he seems like a good combo of speed and power, which is exactly what we lack. I don't know enough about his hands and route running capability. Perhaps somebody else could give more insight?

Hes running crisp routes and catching everything coming his way. so far he looks good on paper but whether he can beat nfl corners and double teams remains to be seen. as of now he seems like a younger robert meachem.
Talk all you want... no matter... I'd still be hoping we have Hill high on our 1st rd list.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
People were already impressed with the guy, he was a late 2nd rounder, now that its proven that he's fast as hell, he just moved way up the draft boards. Its not that he's just fast, he's also big, strong, has good hands, is a good and willing blocker and still has a high ceiling.

I do love his blocking ability and could live with him at the end of Round 2, but come on.

There are countless examples of guys being overdrafted based on 40 times. Look across the bay. They have a roster full of them. It's football, not track.

People get too hung up on measurables. Even size is vastly overrated. You don't need to be 6'4" to be a productive WR.

The top five most productive WRs in the NFL last year:

Calvin Johnson, 6'5"
Wes Welker, 5'9"
Victor Cruz, 6'0"
Larry Fitzgerald, 6'3"
Steve Smith, 5'9"

No correlation between height and success.

Wes Welker is 5'9" and runs a pedestrian 40. Jerry Rice ran in the 4.6 range. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.70. Don't overrate the measurables. Get guys who can play. That's all I'm saying. If Harbaugh and Baalke decide Hill can play, I'm on board. I'll just be shocked if he's the guy in Round 1.

It's not the 40 time that impresses me. It's the blocking and hands he has. Couple that with a big body with speed. Their is a reason for his devalued position and thats the offense he was in. It's not like he wasn't able to produce because of skill, it was because of scheme, thats a huge difference you are over looking.
stphen jill working with terrace mathis
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Talk all you want... no matter... I'd still be hoping we have Hill high on our 1st rd list.

Bet the track team in Oakland trades the few picks they have left to get back into Round 1 to grab him.
Pick # 30...The San francisco 49ers select Stephen Hill!
Dude style reminds me off Randy Moss in college
Originally posted by Shorteous:
It's not the 40 time that impresses me. It's the blocking and hands he has. Couple that with a big body with speed. Their is a reason for his devalued position and thats the offense he was in. It's not like he wasn't able to produce because of skill, it was because of scheme, thats a huge difference you are over looking.

The scheme is part of my concern. We have no idea how effective he is at running a traditional route tree because there's no track record. In that offense, all he did was block and run go routes. That's 3 years of passing game development he missed out on.
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Pick # 30...The San francisco 49ers select Stephen Hill!
Dude style reminds me off Randy Moss in college

keep an eye for the next batch with Tommy Streeter from the U
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Stephen Hill fits all the measurable qualities that we need in a WR:
1. Height: 6-4. Fantastic for the red zone.
2. Weight: 215. Should be more than adept at run blocking.
3. Speed: 4.3. Enough to get down the field.

To me, he seems like a good combo of speed and power, which is exactly what we lack. I don't know enough about his hands and route running capability. Perhaps somebody else could give more insight?

thought he was 6-5. Am I wrong?

checked in at 6'4" at the combine.

hands have looked very good at the combine today, route tree will come with time, I can tell you he can make sharp quick cuts on in and out routes

I don't know about football mechanics, but Hill's feet stay quite close to the ground during his stride. While he's not going to knee potential tacklers out of the way (ala Roger Craig), it may allow him to change direction quickly as in running routes and in avoiding tacklers.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Nope. Not at all true. I knew someone was going to say this. Paul Johnson was NOT at Georgia Tech when Calvin Johnson was there. Paul Johnson was at Navy.

Calvin Johnson did NOT play in a triple option offense in college. Not even close. Calvin Johnson was incredibly productive in college.

Stephen Hill, in his most productive season, caught 28 balls for 820 yards and 5 TDs.

Calvin Johnson, in his most productive season at GT, caught 76 balls for 1202 yards and 15 TDs.

There is no basis for comparison between Calvin Johnson and Stephen Hill other than the fact they're both tall, fast, and played at Georgia Tech.

You are inferring more than I said. I never said that Johnson played in the triple option. I also never said that Johnson didn't have better stats than Hill. I said that CJ was picked more on physical potential than statistical production, and I stand by that. Johnson also ran a very incomplete route tree, so scouts had to assume that he could run the rest of the routes based on his observed athleticism and the workout that he presented to show his route running.

only promblem with hill is he is raw with little production in college (triple option ya i know but still only 28 catches) he has little route tree and bad footwork

but physicaly he is a beas
t timed faster than CJ at almost same height
very intrested to see his vertical and broad jumo
natural hands

also a willing worker he has been working with mathis ( HOF player) on his footwork and route running

Streeter doesn't have the skill of Hill. I like Streeter but not until round 3 at least
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:

Streeter doesn't have the skill of Hill. I like Streeter but not until round 3 at least

elaborate? worse hands or route-running, IYO?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You are inferring more than I said. I never said that Johnson played in the triple option. I also never said that Johnson didn't have better stats than Hill. I said that CJ was picked more on physical potential than statistical production, and I stand by that. Johnson also ran a very incomplete route tree, so scouts had to assume that he could run the rest of the routes based on his observed athleticism and the workout that he presented to show his route running.

Fair enough, but I still think that analogy is a tremendous reach and doesn't really apply.

Johnson was very productive. He wasn't an unknown quantity to anywhere near the extent that Hill is. He had 1200 yards receiving and 15 TDs as a junior.

Georgia Tech's passing offense in 2006 was limited because they were a mediocre team, not because of scheme. They attempted 369 passes that year. In 2011, they attempted 167.

I would like your scenario of getting Fleener AND a WR, though. Agree with you 100% on Fleener being a great pick for us.
The thing with these raw WRs is, if we can get a vet FA wideout, then it makes getting a raw 1st/2nd rounder far more appealing.
Share 49ersWebzone