LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, WR

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
You guys sound like Al Davis. I'll barf if we take him at #30 based on a 40-time and a workout in shorts.

Round 2, if the tape is solid, maybe. Round 3, absolutely. But not Round 1.

Not fair in this case. He is a similar situation to Megatron, in that the extremely-limited passing offense he was in left a lot of questions about his game. He is a committed, determined blocker, which we KNOW because GT uses their WRs more like wide tackles. No one knew how well he would run his routes and catch the short-intermediate routes because he never did that at GT. Just like CJ, he will be a pick based on physical potential, more than production. You don't get to move your pick to where the guy is supposed to go, with an agreement from the other teams not to take him early. Now, I'm certainly not calling this guy Calvin Johnson, but the situation is similar, and the physical potential is very impressive. As a GM, if you feel he is a must-have, you need to take him when he is available. If he is just another prospect, you wait and hope he falls. He seems to have all of the traits that a team would look for, other than statistical production and experience in a diverse route tree. I would love to come away w/Fleener and Hill/Streeter/Quick somehow. I just don't know how realistic that will be (esp regarding Hill right now) after today.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/483021/stephen-hill

Basically all he does is go deep.
Originally posted by 9erVillian:

Basically all he's done is go deep.

fixed
Originally posted by 9erVillian:

Basically all he does is go deep.

Works for me... that's exactly what we need. Secondaries are not fearful of anyone but VD... so they can play up and tight on our WRs. Having a player like Hill will change that.
Stephen Hill fits all the measurable qualities that we need in a WR:
1. Height: 6-4. Fantastic for the red zone.
2. Weight: 215. Should be more than adept at run blocking.
3. Speed: 4.3. Enough to get down the field.

To me, he seems like a good combo of speed and power, which is exactly what we lack. I don't know enough about his hands and route running capability. Perhaps somebody else could give more insight?
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Feb 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
People were already impressed with the guy, he was a late 2nd rounder, now that its proven that he's fast as hell, he just moved way up the draft boards. Its not that he's just fast, he's also big, strong, has good hands, is a good and willing blocker and still has a high ceiling.

I do love his blocking ability and could live with him at the end of Round 2, but come on.

There are countless examples of guys being overdrafted based on 40 times. Look across the bay. They have a roster full of them. It's football, not track.

People get too hung up on measurables. Even size is vastly overrated. You don't need to be 6'4" to be a productive WR.

The top five most productive WRs in the NFL last year:

Calvin Johnson, 6'5"
Wes Welker, 5'9"
Victor Cruz, 6'0"
Larry Fitzgerald, 6'3"
Steve Smith, 5'9"

No correlation between height and success.

Wes Welker is 5'9" and runs a pedestrian 40. Jerry Rice ran in the 4.6 range. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.70. Don't overrate the measurables. Get guys who can play. That's all I'm saying. If Harbaugh and Baalke decide Hill can play, I'm on board. I'll just be shocked if he's the guy in Round 1.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

To me, he seems like a good combo of speed and power, which is exactly what we lack. I don't know enough about his hands and route running capability. Perhaps somebody else could give more insight?

thought he was 6-5. Am I wrong?
Originally posted by yoshi:
Originally posted by VA49er:
I hat to agree with Jamie Dukes. But I'm sold.

What did he say?

Dukes just said that you have to draft this kid in the first round. He's having the best day at the combine of any wideout and maybe any player. There is no tape on him running much other than a go route. But with what he is showing you have to pull the trigger. His draft stock is going to go through the roof. I agree with Dukes that you have to pull the trigger on this guy in the first round. If he is there at 30 you can't pass. He won't be there for us in the 2nd round. Dukes also pointed out that Hill has had some highlights today, not just his 40. He has a combine highlight in almost every drill. They will keep running it on NFL network and his stock will climb and likely get better during his pro days.
If it's me and this guy is there at 25 I'm not convinced he will still be there at 30. If I could move up at that point in the draft I do it.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

"Hill on Friday measured 6-4, 215." Barrows: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/#storylink=cpy

checked in at 6'4" at the combine.

hands have looked very good at the combine today, route tree will come with time, I can tell you he can make sharp quick cuts on in and out routes

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I'm down to take him in the 1st round before someone takes him in the 2nd.

+1
Originally posted by yoshi:
I hat to agree with Jamie Dukes. But I'm sold.

What did he say?

Dukes just said that you have to draft this kid in the first round. He's having the best day at the combine of any wideout and maybe any player. There is no tape on him running much other than a go route. But with what he is showing you have to pull the trigger. His draft stock is going to go through the roof. I agree with Dukes that you have to pull the trigger on this guy in the first round. If he is there at 30 you can't pass. He won't be there for us in the 2nd round. Dukes also pointed out that Hill has had some highlights today, not just his 40. He has a combine highlight in almost every drill. They will keep running it on NFL network and his stock will climb and likely get better during his pro days.
If it's me and this guy is there at 25 I'm not convinced he will still be there at 30. If I could move up at that point in the draft I do it.

Not quite sure I'd move up for him though.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Feb 26, 2012 at 8:01 AM ]
Originally posted by vrabbit:

checked in at 6'4" at the combine.

hands have looked very good at the combine today, route tree will come with time, I can tell you he can make sharp quick cuts on in and out routes

Thanks, my bad.
Not fair in this case. He is a similar situation to Megatron, in that the extremely-limited passing offense he was in left a lot of questions about his game. He is a committed, determined blocker, which we KNOW because GT uses their WRs more like wide tackles. No one knew how well he would run his routes and catch the short-intermediate routes because he never did that at GT. Just like CJ, he will be a pick based on physical potential, more than production. You don't get to move your pick to where the guy is supposed to go, with an agreement from the other teams not to take him early. Now, I'm certainly not calling this guy Calvin Johnson, but the situation is similar, and the physical potential is very impressive. As a GM, if you feel he is a must-have, you need to take him when he is available. If he is just another prospect, you wait and hope he falls. He seems to have all of the traits that a team would look for, other than statistical production and experience in a diverse route tree. I would love to come away w/Fleener and Hill/Streeter/Quick somehow. I just don't know how realistic that will be (esp regarding Hill right now) after today.

Nope. Not at all true. I knew someone was going to say this. Paul Johnson was NOT at Georgia Tech when Calvin Johnson was there. Paul Johnson was at Navy.

Calvin Johnson did NOT play in a triple option offense in college. Not even close. Calvin Johnson was incredibly productive in college.

Stephen Hill, in his most productive season, caught 28 balls for 820 yards and 5 TDs.

Calvin Johnson, in his most productive season at GT, caught 76 balls for 1202 yards and 15 TDs.

There is no basis for comparison between Calvin Johnson and Stephen Hill other than the fact they're both tall, fast, and played at Georgia Tech.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I'm down to take him in the 1st round before someone takes him in the 2nd.

+1
If we could trade back a little and still get him that would be ideal. Maybe pick up an extra 4th or something.
Share 49ersWebzone