There are 154 users in the forums

Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, WR

Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Now, both Kiper and McShay pick Hill for us in their Mock 3.0s.

Since they picked him for us, it must be true.
Can you post the part just about Hill please? I know you cant post the entire mock since it an insider article but just the Hill part would be nice

Val, for you, anything.

Mels Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

Hill set Indy ablaze, going sub-4.4 in the 40 while measuring 6-foot-4. San Francisco, meet the deep threat you've been looking for. It's no secret the 49ers need more out of their wide receivers, and Hill brings a new aspect to the table, with elite size and track speed to stretch defenses both for himself, and to open up things underneath. He'll need an adjustment period as he gets used to a more conventional offense, but some team is going to fall in love with the measurables.

Todds Stephen Hill*, WR, Georgia Tech

This is a big high for a raw prospect like Hill, but with the Patriots and so many other teams looking for size and the ability to stretch the field it won't surprise me to see him off the board this early. Hill (6-4, 215) showed flashes of his big-play ability in 2011 (28 catches, 820 yards), and he had one of the best combine workouts I've ever seen from a wide receiver. The 49ers have a bigger need at cornerback, but with Josh Morgan and Ted Ginnheaded for free agency they could be left with Michael Crabtree and a whole lot of nothing at receiver when draft day rolls around.

BTW, interesting that both also had Fleener going to the NYG. So if Hill does get taken before we pick, I bet we grab Fleener. Can't lose either way, IMO.

^ lmao!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1093787-2012-nfl-draft-georgia-tech-wr-stephen-hill-scouting-report

Route Running

Hill's route running has proven to be raw mainly because of the scheme he's operating out of. He's simply not running the amount of routes that others are and that's why some are knocking him.

However, he has run routes such as Dig, Post, Hook, Out, Arrow (flat) and Corner patterns that he'll be asked to also run at the next level. He still has a lot of learning to do in this aspect of his game because he doesn't have the details of it down yet.

Despite this, he's going to the NFL where professional coaches will have more time to teach him and it will be his main focus.

Separation

The ability to separate from defenders when running routes is key at every level of football, but perhaps none more than at the NFL level because defenders are just as fast and quick. Although the scheme and route running that Hill has had to do in college is limited, there are instances in which his ability to break down is showcased as well as his ability to separate from defenders vertically.

He shows that he can get vertical on defensive backs and create enough separation to catch the ball. On short and intermediate routes, he shows that he can break down his route within two or three steps, sink his hips and get open. Examples of this can be seen on Hook routes.
The thing I love about Hill when I watch him, is that his speed show up in every route he runs. He eats up cushion so fast and is just such a smooth runner, it's a beautiful thing to see. When I see him, I almost see the closest thing to Andre Johnson since Andre Johnson of course.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
The thing I love about Hill when I watch him, is that his speed show up in every route he runs. He eats up cushion so fast and is just such a smooth runner, it's a beautiful thing to see. When I see him, I almost see the closest thing to Andre Johnson since Andre Johnson of course.

He's a big receiver for sure. When you see him next to Tommy Streeter, there's a huge difference. Streeter looks very thin, but Hill is well built and looks like he's got very strong legs.
Stephen Hill is a 'project' player with tons of boom already waiting to be displayed, but the 49ers are now a team that can actually DEVELOP these types of players from the start (so they may bloom into pro bowlers). -I think he could be really special under our watch.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think Hill's workout today pretty much cements a draft selection in the top 25-26 picks. Way too much height, speed, length, and athleticism numbers to overlook, even with very limited productivity. Don't think he is an option for the team anymore, as he appeared to look sharp in drills.

Yah, I was pretty much afraid of that.
But Baalke has traded up. Perhaps he trades up five or so spots. That's doable.
I want to find my Niners thrill
with Stephon Hill
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

after the top 20 only the texans will be needing a WR if 2 WR out of floyd wright or hill are there stay put

if not and we really like one of those guys we have to trade up to 25
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

after the top 20 only the texans will be needing a WR if 2 WR out of floyd wright or hill are there stay put

Patriots too

Patriots too

no way not in the first

they have a horrible secondary and have horrible pass rush they already got welker

1st round WR is not a need for them maybe in 2nd or 3rd but they have to go D in first couple picks

Patriots too

no way not in the first

they have a horrible secondary and have horrible pass rush they already got welker

1st round WR is not a need for them maybe in 2nd or 3rd but they have to go D in first couple picks

This. I see them picking Whitney Mercilus
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Patriots too

no way not in the first

agreed, the Pats never draft WRs early. They will likely double on defense with those 2 1st rounders. An OLB/CB combo or DT/CB other outside possibility is if Konz falls to their 1st pick and they take Konz and CB.

Our most serious competition is Houston and if we would like to "chose" between Hill or Wright we might have to trade up, but more then likely Hill will be there at #30. The hypetrain just has people over estimating Hill's value, he is a top 40 pick, just not a top 20 pick.
Originally posted by sfout:

Patriots too

no way not in the first

agreed, the Pats never draft WRs early. They will likely double on defense with those 2 1st rounders. An OLB/CB combo or DT/CB other outside possibility is if Konz falls to their 1st pick and they take Konz and CB.

Our most serious competition is Houston and if we would like to "chose" between Hill or Wright we might have to trade up, but more then likely Hill will be there at #30. The hypetrain just has people over estimating Hill's value, he is a top 40 pick, just not a top 20 pick.

Wes Bunting also included the Cleveland Browns as a possible team that might target Hill in the 1st.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Wes Bunting also included the Cleveland Browns as a possible team that might target Hill in the 1st.

I could see that happening, but McCoy has a noodle arm, they need to seriously evaluate their QB situation before they take a receiver like Hill. IMO 22 is way too early to take Hill, Wright or Floyd could very well still be on the board at 22 so I just have a hard time with that.

Even though the Rams are throwing out the "misinformation" that Washington is leading the RG3 sweepstakes I still think Holmgren will find a way to get him, ironically enough that entire trade is apparently hinging on the Browns unwillingness to to include their 2nd 1st rounder.

EDIT: I personally think that when the Hill Hype Train stops rolling we will be the most logical place to pick him. I still believe 26 is too early for him, Hill is a top 45 pick, not a top 20. Either way though we will definitely get a play maker at #30: Hill, Wright or Fleener and by some ungodly force there is the smallest of smallest chances that Floyd could fall to us if some teams get to obsessed with Hill and Wright runs a 4.3 or 4.4 at his pro day.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone