LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, WR

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by jreff22:
still have a feeling that he will fall to the 2nd

every year we all overestimate one main guy and I think he's it this year

He only had a few hundred less yards than Demaryius Thomas did his last year at GT. But Thomas' measurables were 6-3 224 4.52. Hill has him there at 6-4 215 4.36.
And some said that pick was high which at the time I agreed with. Amukamara, Jordan, Ingram, and Bowers fell a lot further then I anticipated last year. I think the hype machine is moving at full steam with this kid and we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves. I think he has potential and great measurables but I still see him in the 36-44 range come draft time. Guys like Blackmon, Floyd, and Wright had people arguing their positions all season...Hill didn't come into the picture until he ran his 40. Granted every year some burner or monster sneaks into the 1st round who was never seriously talked about and Hill could be that guy.

Going back a few years for 1st round WR's.

Green
Jones
Baldwin

Thomas
Bryant

Heyward-Bey
Crabtree
Maclin
Harvin
Nicks
Britt

N/A

Johnson
Ginn
Bowe
Meachem
Davis

Holmes

We get an avg of 2.8 WR's being drafted in the 1st. Granted its a meaningless number but looking at this years class I only see 3 true first round talents. If we pull the trigger I will support the pick and Hill regardless, I just think we can be crafty and trade back and still get Hill a little later.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Mar 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM ]
i say we take him if hes there. hes huge, he can catch and hes a burner. his production is fine for an offense that ran most of the time

He only had a few hundred less yards than Demaryius Thomas did his last year at GT. But Thomas' measurables were 6-3 224 4.52. Hill has him there at 6-4 215 4.36.
And some said that pick was high which at the time I agreed with. Amukamara, Jordan, Ingram, and Bowers fell a lot further then I anticipated last year. I think the hype machine is moving at full steam with this kid and we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves. I think he has potential and great measurables but I still see him in the 36-44 range come draft time. Guys like Blackmon, Floyd, and Wright had people arguing their positions all season...Hill didn't come into the picture until he ran his 40. Granted every year some burner or monster sneaks into the 1st round who was never seriously talked about and Hill could be that guy.

Green
Jones
Baldwin

Thomas
Bryant

Heyward-Bey
Crabtree
Maclin
Harvin
Nicks
Britt

N/A

Johnson
Ginn
Bowe
Meachem
Davis

Holmes

We get an avg of 2.8 WR's being drafted in the 1st. Granted its a meaningless number but looking at this years class I only see 3 true first round talents. If we pull the trigger I will support the pick and Hill regardless, I just think we can be crafty and trade back and still get Hill a little later.

Reason I don't think he'll fall out of the first is simple: us. He might get past every other team, but I think we'll look at the upside and take him at 30 if he made it there.
I sure as hell hope we do.

He will most likely be there at 30, but I wouldnt get fancy just pull the trigger and take him.
would love to have him i think he will be there at 30 as well i see the texans taking him at 36 as the only real threat
I really only see the Texans as a threat in the 1st. There's so much more value and talent in the 1st round from the DTs that I'm sure teams would rather select.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
After studying all of Stephen Hill's film, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock is "less concerned" about the Georgia Tech wide receiver's drops and route running.

"He's a hands snatcher," said Mayock. "He had five or six drops [at Georgia Tech] ... but when you watch him catch the football, it's so natural." For a bigger receiver, Mayock determined that Hill was "really good" getting in and out of his breaks at the Yellow Jacket's Pro Day. Mayock suspects Hill will be a late first-round pick, and an "early two" in a "worst case" scenario.

rotoworld.com

I think a team will get enamored with his potential and take him in the Top 20. I see San Diego (likely losing V-Jax) and Chicago (No Receivers) as serious suitors.

9ers have shown they will move up for a player... We will have to see how other WRs do in thier pro days.

Do you see Hill getting picked over Wright or Floyd?

Definitely over Wright, and perhaps even over Floyd if some teams views him as worth it because of the perceived higher ceiling. Hill is taller and faster than Floyd, but CLEARLY nowhere near as polished. As long as Floyd stays out of trouble, he will most likely be the bigger contributor early. Hill will need time.

But as I said in my Big Board thread, after Hill's pro day workout, I think he cracks the top 20, and I see no way we make that kind of move up.

Maybe not that kind of move...but a 1st and a 3rd or 4th for Denver's pick if he last that long?

I don't see a 1st and a 2nd for a 1st and 4th type move that puts us at 20ish.
Now, both Kiper and McShay pick Hill for us in their Mock 3.0s.

Since they picked him for us, it must be true.
Originally posted by ninertico:

Can you post the part just about Hill please? I know you cant post the entire mock since it an insider article but just the Hill part would be nice

Kiper and McShay's newest mocks have the Niners taking Hill @ 30.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by ninertico:

Can you post the part just about Hill please? I know you cant post the entire mock since it an insider article but just the Hill part would be nice

Val, for you, anything.

Mels Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

Hill set Indy ablaze, going sub-4.4 in the 40 while measuring 6-foot-4. San Francisco, meet the deep threat you've been looking for. It's no secret the 49ers need more out of their wide receivers, and Hill brings a new aspect to the table, with elite size and track speed to stretch defenses both for himself, and to open up things underneath. He'll need an adjustment period as he gets used to a more conventional offense, but some team is going to fall in love with the measurables.

Todds Stephen Hill*, WR, Georgia Tech

This is a big high for a raw prospect like Hill, but with the Patriots and so many other teams looking for size and the ability to stretch the field it won't surprise me to see him off the board this early. Hill (6-4, 215) showed flashes of his big-play ability in 2011 (28 catches, 820 yards), and he had one of the best combine workouts I've ever seen from a wide receiver. The 49ers have a bigger need at cornerback, but with Josh Morgan and Ted Ginnheaded for free agency they could be left with Michael Crabtree and a whole lot of nothing at receiver when draft day rolls around.

BTW, interesting that both also had Fleener going to the NYG. So if Hill does get taken before we pick, I bet we grab Fleener. Can't lose either way, IMO.
[ Edited by ninertico on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Kiper and McShay's newest mocks have the Niners taking Hill @ 30.

Green
Jones
Baldwin

Thomas
Bryant

Heyward-Bey
Crabtree
Maclin
Harvin
Nicks
Britt

N/A

Johnson
Ginn
Bowe
Meachem
Davis

Holmes

Early on I was very skeptical about Hill. I knew about him during the season and had watched GT games (their offense is pretty fun to watch), but it was hard to judge him because on some of his plays, the DB had blitzed or attacked the line of scrimmage leaving Hill WIDE open. So it was great he was open, but really it was a credit to the offense design and poor read by defender.

But I watched more of him, and the athleticism is just impossible to deny. I see a lot of the talking heads are throwing around terms like "natural reciever" and they are definately correct, Hill is extremely fluid with extending his hands to grab the ball and bring it in. He is also very agile for such a large guy and shows the ability to adjust to make difficult catches. Speed and size are unquestionable.

His route running is actually better then I expected, I tried to really focus on how he sets up his deep routes early on, and he does a great job. But there just isn't a lot of film out there of him working short/intermediate routes so its hard to predict.

Also, I think college production can be misleading. Although it is a general rule that past performance can predict future performance, there are a ton of factors that come into the difference between the NFL and college.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
time to play the waiting game and see how things shake out. I think the hype train has him going much higher then he really will end up being picked. He's definitely a top 40-40 pick but no a top 20. I like our odds of getting him by standing pat at 30.
Share 49ersWebzone