There are 181 users in the forums

Quick New Year's Mock and Offseason

we have a solid core of WR with crabs morgan and KW

however we do need a legit big body RZ target

i would love to get alshon jeffery or floyd early

otherwise dwight jones the guy from arizona state tommy streeter
  • cools
  • Veteran
Were probably gonna find that WR in free agency before the draft, there is going to be tons of talent
even if we go second tier guy like Meachem or Garcon

Morgan and Ginn will likely return

Meach and Morgan share duties as the split end, Crabs at flanker, Williams and Ginn for depth

I could see us going into the draft with no need for a WR

Red zone target... TE Fleener in the 3rd, and we carry 4 (Davis, Walker, Fleener, Byham)

Love the CB from Vandy, I think our own guy Holcomb may be a nice surprise too
Ive also had J.Smith going to us, just makes sence to grab another Smith from Missouri
So, if all of you are correct in your assumption that WR will be the #1 priority in the draft..........let's reset. This is also based on the assumption that the Niners sign only one of their three free agent WR's.

Round 1: Mohammed Sanu Rutgers or Rueben Randle LSU
Round 2: Ben Jones C/OG Georgia
Round 3: Shaun Prater CB Iowa
Round 4: Jacquies Smith OLB Missiuri
Round 5: Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati
Round 6: Keshawn Martin WR Michigan St.
Round 7: Delano Howell SS Stanford

Good enough?
We have no idea what will happen in Free Agency but if WR is not addressed Niners need to go WR in round 1 or 2.
I guess I am not the only one who think the Niners might go for a D-lineman early:

49ers could be looking to beef up D-line

Posted Jan. 05, 2012 @ 4:44 p.m. ET
By Dan Arkush
Don't be surprised if the Niners focus on fortifying their defensive line early in the upcoming draft. In a perfect world, we hear, the team wouldn't mind rotating fresh bodies up front more often. For one thing, there are age and injury factors that come into play. DRT Justin Smith is 32 years old, and NT Isaac Sopoaga turns 31 before the start of next season. DLT Ray McDonald is only 27, but his knees have given him problems on and off for a while now. The Niners have no problem with current backups Ricky Jean Francois, Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams (word is they particularly like Jean Francois), but we hear more manpower would be welcomed. Breathers were few and far between this season for Smith and McDonald, who performed above and beyond the call of duty and displayed tremendous stamina before wear and tear appeared to take their toll in the last two regular-season games.
yes but we have injuries at WR so often
and on top of that our WR talent is just average when healthy

and we dont have a WR over 6 1 meaning we lack a legit RZ target

WR is clearly a need

im in favor of taking a d line guy

im just not in favor if taking him in 1st round and have him riding the bench most of the time when we have bigger needs
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM ]
if we dont get a good FA WR, we need to pick one up in round 1 or 2. DE isn't an area of need, CB would be our biggest need as far as D. also, for some reason i don't think Ginn returns. i hope he does, but he could be bitter from taking a pay cut earlier.
Guys our first priority will be to fix the pass blocking whether it be FA or draft! this to me is our biggest weakness! So if we get a WR in FA our 1st pick will be the BPA at that position or move back in the 1st round to get that considering we are picking (32nd ).
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
So, if all of you are correct in your assumption that WR will be the #1 priority in the draft..........let's reset. This is also based on the assumption that the Niners sign only one of their three free agent WR's.

Good enough?

I like this draft better. And I also agree that in some way they do need to beef up the d line. They really have no depth at all. it's just that I don't think it needs to be addressed in the 1st round.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Good enough?

Derek Wolfe is a 3rd round talent with 2nd round buzz; I've also seen Prater taken in the 4th a lot later.

Originally posted by sfout:

Good enough?

Derek Wolfe is a 3rd round talent with 2nd round buzz; I've also seen Prater taken in the 4th a lot later.

I don't know where you got those draft profiles, but I went off of the NFL New Era Scouting profiles and who was available in their mock draft. Not saying either of us are right or wrong, but that's where I went for my info. I am sure the prospect rankings will change at least a couple of times between now and the actual draft.
I guess I am not the only one who think the Niners might go for a D-lineman early:

By Dan Arkush
Don't be surprised if the Niners focus on fortifying their defensive line early in the upcoming draft. In a perfect world, we hear, the team wouldn't mind rotating fresh bodies up front more often. For one thing, there are age and injury factors that come into play. DRT Justin Smith is 32 years old, and NT Isaac Sopoaga turns 31 before the start of next season. DLT Ray McDonald is only 27, but his knees have given him problems on and off for a while now. The Niners have no problem with current backups Ricky Jean Francois, Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams (word is they particularly like Jean Francois), but we hear more manpower would be welcomed. Breathers were few and far between this season for Smith and McDonald, who performed above and beyond the call of duty and displayed tremendous stamina before wear and tear appeared to take their toll in the last two regular-season games.

saw this as well, and a guy who might be available in round 2 (but could also be picked before) is michigan state lineman Jerrel Worthy....would he fit in the niners defensive schemes, or is he more suited for a 4-3?

By Dan Arkush

Absolutely, draft dline depth, but not in the first three rounds. Take a big bodied project and develop them behind the starters for the future.
Originally posted by sfout:

Good enough?

I don't know where you got those draft profiles, but I went off of the NFL New Era Scouting profiles and who was available in their mock draft. Not saying either of us are right or wrong, but that's where I went for my info. I am sure the prospect rankings will change at least a couple of times between now and the actual draft.

All looks right.

Wolfe is to me a Late 4th early 5th rd guy. I have him going to us in my 4 round mock in round 4.

WR Sanu, CB Boykin, OLB Branch and DE Wolfe are my 1st 4 rounds for us. I'll need to update as Randle declared today.

I think Prater is fine in the 3rd rd, there should be a run on CBs, I see 5 or 6 1st rd guys(Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Minnifield, Dennard, Jenkins), then some 2nd/3rd rd talent(Boykin, Prater, Robinson, Fleming, Tandy).
Here's something that just got reported

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/04/report-vincent-jackson-unlikely-to-get-franchise-tag/

Signing someone like Vincent Jackson would definitely remove the need to draft a WR early.

He wants alot of money. Nope
Share 49ersWebzone