There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Washington RB Chris Polk to enter draft.

Originally posted by sfout:
I had to bump this. According to Todd McShay Polk is now in danger of becoming a day 3 pick if he has a bad pro day and/or combine...

Washington RB Chris Polk
Polk was a bit of a surprise participant after initially being considered an early-entry prospect. He missed all but the first two games of his freshman season in 2008 due to a shoulder injury, which would have qualified him for a medical redshirt, but Polk never filed the paperwork and his eligibility ran out after the 2011 season.

Either way, he was in the second-day mix following a strong season (1,488 yards, 12 TDs). Polk didn't do much to stand out, though, showing a concerning lack of burst and top-end speed. He caught the ball well, but showed little in the way of creating yards on his own. Polk simply wasn't as quick or fast as expected based on his film, and the NFL combine and pro day workouts now become even more important if he hopes to become a Day 2 pick.


Hypothetically if he still has the same kind of vibe on draft day and slides to day 3 should we take a flier on him in round 4?

for example we re-sign Alex, Rogers, Goldson and Brooks would he be worth a pick at that point?

I hope we trade up to pick him in the 4th round if he makes it. He can run between tackles, run outside, catch, block, and sell the PA. I'd LOVE it if we picked him up in the 4th or later, but wouldn't take him Day 2 b/c of his injury concerns.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,251
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
I hope we trade up to pick him in the 4th round if he makes it. He can run between tackles, run outside, catch, block, and sell the PA. I'd LOVE it if we picked him up in the 4th or later, but wouldn't take him Day 2 b/c of his injury concerns.

Im a little shocked that the talking heads think he's slide that far but hey he'd be better then Dixon.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
I hope we trade up to pick him in the 4th round if he makes it. He can run between tackles, run outside, catch, block, and sell the PA. I'd LOVE it if we picked him up in the 4th or later, but wouldn't take him Day 2 b/c of his injury concerns.

Im a little shocked that the talking heads think he's slide that far but hey he'd be better then Dixon.

I think it's b/c he has football speed. Put him on a track and make him run, he'll be around 4.7-4.8. Put him on the field, he'll run a lot faster, prolly 4.65. I'd just be worried about injuries, but he'd fit in amazingly with our offense.
RB should be a position of interest for the 49ers this off season.
Polk just didn't arrive in game shape, he lacked quickness and top end speed.

It was pretty surprising. It was like he just ate cheeseburgers between the end of Washington's season and the Senior Bowl.
Originally posted by fister30:
RB should be a position of interest for the 49ers this off season.

anyone who doubts this should read Barrow story on frank gore today
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by irishluder:
he was impressive in the bowl game, might be an upgrade over Dixon?

I think anyone would be an upgrade over Dixon, a big running back who thinks he's 5'6" and 175 pounds.

Dixon is really disappointing. I had high hopes for that guy. Now I just want him gone. I can't believe we put him in on 3rd an 1 in a playoff game....
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Polk just didn't arrive in game shape, he lacked quickness and top end speed.

It was pretty surprising. It was like he just ate cheeseburgers between the end of Washington's season and the Senior Bowl.

Lack of commitment?
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Polk just didn't arrive in game shape, he lacked quickness and top end speed.

It was pretty surprising. It was like he just ate cheeseburgers between the end of Washington's season and the Senior Bowl.

Lack of commitment?

More just invited to the Senior Bowl on short notice. Most players aren't Justin Smith. I am sure that a lot of players, especially physical running backs, take a couple of weeks to get fat and happy after the season ends before they get into the offseason regimen. I think he just got surprised by how quickly he was supposed to be in shape (remember that he was not an original invite, since the Senior Bowl organizers thought he was an underclassman). That said, his agent should have told heim to pull out once he realized that he was going to look like a fat slug.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,251
Originally posted by hofer36:
anyone who doubts this should read Barrow story on frank gore today

I read Barrows piece and McShay's back-to-back, that's why I bumped this when I read the McShay critique of Polk.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Polk just didn't arrive in game shape, he lacked quickness and top end speed.

It was pretty surprising. It was like he just ate cheeseburgers between the end of Washington's season and the Senior Bowl.

Lack of commitment?

More just invited to the Senior Bowl on short notice. Most players aren't Justin Smith. I am sure that a lot of players, especially physical running backs, take a couple of weeks to get fat and happy after the season ends before they get into the offseason regimen. I think he just got surprised by how quickly he was supposed to be in shape (remember that he was not an original invite, since the Senior Bowl organizers thought he was an underclassman). That said, his agent should have told heim to pull out once he realized that he was going to look like a fat slug.

Who is his agent anyway!? Guy must be desperate for cash to allow Polk to go out there looking like that. Any of the bigger named agents would have been happy with the guys stock being a 3rd rounder going into the combine.


Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Dixon is really disappointing. I had high hopes for that guy. Now I just want him gone. I can't believe we put him in on 3rd an 1 in a playoff game....

To pull a bit from the Barrows piece, the fact that Gore kept checking himself out of the game shows that something was seriously wrong with the guy that we dont know about. He is such a competitor that I cant see him wanting to come out at such a crucial moment.

I've been spouting off for weeks now that Dixon wasn't in the dog house(maybe he really has been) and that he was going to be used as a short yardage/late game pounder. IMO they really thought he could do it rather then Hunter but really at 3 and 1?!!??! Either do a QB sneak or hand it to Miller, Walker, or Gore!!!

I'm a big believer in the idea that if we re-sign Alex, Rogers, Goldson and Brooks and the BPA in the 1st or 2nd is say Lamar Miller or David Wilson that we absolutely should take either of them. But I seriously expect us to draft a RB this season, it'll be a wildcard in terms of where we get the guy but I will be shocked if we dont add another, even if the guy is picked in the 7th round.
Didn't impress me at the Senior Bowl and was outperformed by Doug Martin, a potential 3rd round pick.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,251
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Didn't impress me at the Senior Bowl and was outperformed by Doug Martin, a potential 3rd round pick.

agreed but I'm saying in terms of value. If the guy is there at the end of the 4th do you consider it? Just an opinion on if he'd be worth it at that point? Plenty of better looking RBs out there, especially if you factor in the senior bowl but I wouldn't mind having Polk on the roster as 3rd RB if he fell that far.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Didn't impress me at the Senior Bowl and was outperformed by Doug Martin, a potential 3rd round pick.

agreed but I'm saying in terms of value. If the guy is there at the end of the 4th do you consider it? Just an opinion on if he'd be worth it at that point? Plenty of better looking RBs out there, especially if you factor in the senior bowl but I wouldn't mind having Polk on the roster as 3rd RB if he fell that far.

I honestly don't think he'll fall as far as the 4th round. Although he didn't impress at the Senior Bowl, there's no denying his production in his years at Washington. I think he'll be a 2nd round pick when all is said and done. Unless he completely sucks at the combine, then we can think about possibly seeing him drop even further.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,251
Director of Player Personel Tom Gamble was on hand for Washington's pro-day, Polk reportedly ran a 4.49.

Chris Polk was a couple pounds lighter and little bit faster in this NFL audition.

Meanwhile, Alameda Ta'amu is about 10 pounds heavier than he played at. Both were impressive during the pro day at University of Washington, which was attended by representatives from about 15 of the NFL's 32 teams.

Polk weighed 212 pounds, which is 13 pounds lighter than he was at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, in January and 3 pounds lighter than he was at the scouting combine in Indianapolis last month.

He ran the 40-yard dash twice Thursday, his first effort was fastest, and he said it was electronically timed at 4.49 seconds compared to 4.45 handheld. One of the teams in attendance listed it at 4.48.

Polk's speed was a concern after he ran at the scouting combine last month. His second 40 was timed at 4.57 by some. Polk also performed 16 bench-press repetitions at 225 pounds, and looked good in his position drills. He looked natural catching the ball, though he did have one drop.

Ta'amu didn't run the 40-yard dash, though he did at the scouting combine. He instead focused on the shuttle and cone drills, and was pleased with his performance. At 347 pounds, Ta'amu is projected as a noseguard for 3-4 teams, which is the most valuable defensive line position in that specific scheme. Even at his size, he has good feet, which he showed in the drills.
Originally posted by sfout:
Director of Player Personel Tom Gamble was on hand for Washington's pro-day, Polk reportedly ran a 4.49.

Chris Polk was a couple pounds lighter and little bit faster in this NFL audition.

Meanwhile, Alameda Ta'amu is about 10 pounds heavier than he played at. Both were impressive during the pro day at University of Washington, which was attended by representatives from about 15 of the NFL's 32 teams.

Polk weighed 212 pounds, which is 13 pounds lighter than he was at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, in January and 3 pounds lighter than he was at the scouting combine in Indianapolis last month.

He ran the 40-yard dash twice Thursday, his first effort was fastest, and he said it was electronically timed at 4.49 seconds compared to 4.45 handheld. One of the teams in attendance listed it at 4.48.

Polk's speed was a concern after he ran at the scouting combine last month. His second 40 was timed at 4.57 by some. Polk also performed 16 bench-press repetitions at 225 pounds, and looked good in his position drills. He looked natural catching the ball, though he did have one drop.

Ta'amu didn't run the 40-yard dash, though he did at the scouting combine. He instead focused on the shuttle and cone drills, and was pleased with his performance. At 347 pounds, Ta'amu is projected as a noseguard for 3-4 teams, which is the most valuable defensive line position in that specific scheme. Even at his size, he has good feet, which he showed in the drills.

Ta'amu's weight worries me. I think he'd be alright if he played at 335.