There are 183 users in the forums

2007 Draft Revisited

Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by susweel:
Probably his best draft but I still think Staley is overrated.

agreed....

Well the NFC is sucking hind tit for left tackles. Staley made the pro bowl and I cannot think of a better LT in the NFC. Keep in mind he has qb's who hold onto the ball too long. If the niners had Drew Brees every OL would be a pro bowler.

I also think with more 3-4 defenses, guards are now the premium position and OT's get beat by the quick OLB's.
Originally posted by 9erred:

agreed....

Well the NFC is sucking hind tit for left tackles. Staley made the pro bowl and I cannot think of a better LT in the NFC. Keep in mind he has qb's who hold onto the ball too long. If the niners had Drew Brees every OL would be a pro bowler.

I also think with more 3-4 defenses, guards are now the premium position and OT's get beat by the quick OLB's.

thats a crock of s**t
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by skibeerski:
Looking back not a bad draft by McCloughan. Three starters in the Pro Bowl, one alternate and a solid starter at CB in Brown. can we still bash McCloughan?

1 11 Patrick Willis ILB 6-1 240 Mississippi
1 28 Joe Staley OT 6-6 306 Central Michigan
3 34 Ray McDonald DT 6-3 276 Florida
4 27 Dashon Goldson FS 6-2 202
5 10 Tarell Brown CB 5-11 192 Texas

Good draft, but yes. Look at the next year.

1 29 San Francisco 49ers Kentwan Balmer
2 39 San Francisco 49ers Chilo Rachal
3 75 San Francisco 49ers Reggie Smith CB
4 107 San Francisco 49ers Cody Wallace C
5 – San Francisco 49ers selection forfeited as penalty for violating anti-tampering rules
6 174 San Francisco 49ers Josh Morgan WR
7 214 San Francisco 49ers Larry Grant (who became a starter on the Rams team after being plucked from the practice squad - glad he's back).

1st the 07 draft was a great one, Willis is an all pro ILB, Staley finally gets recognized, Goldson is finally showing up, hope it isnt because of his hope for a big deal, and McDonald was a great pick, I wanted him 07. He has become a great piece on the end, great job re-signing him. Brown has also looked good at times, more good than bad moments.

Now 08, those 1st 4 suck, completely. Balmer was a bust, Rachal is horrible. Smith hasn't shown anything, bye bye in offseason and Wallace over Sullivan(MIN) who just got extended this week. Morgan was the best pick, and Also happy Grant is back.
Originally posted by Trajik1:

5 – San Francisco 49ers selection forfeited as penalty for violating anti-tampering rules
7 214 San Francisco 49ers Larry Grant (who became a starter on the Rams team after being plucked from the practice squad - glad he's back).
Besides Larry Grant, not a good draft at all. Rachal is a human turnstile, Balmer sucks in Seattle and Morgann cant stay on the field.

Balmer is with the Redskins, and Morgan broke his leg, besides that he doesnt miss much time on the field and he was looking solid this year

To suggest Morgan can't stay on the field is pretty ridiculous. He was very durable until he broke his leg. s**t happens. Maybe he was thinking of Jason Hill???
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Dec 29, 2011 at 5:44 PM ]

Besides Larry Grant, not a good draft at all. Rachal is a human turnstile, Balmer sucks in Seattle and Morgann cant stay on the field.

He's not even with Seattle anymore. I think he's on the Redskins.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
He did okay with his 6th and 7th round picks there..but yeah, the rest were a miss. Reggie isn't horrible..but not worth a 3rd round.

No, Reggie IS horrible. All he covers is grass and he takes horrible angles allowing medium gain plays to become long TDs.
Originally posted by sean610:
He did okay with his 6th and 7th round picks there..but yeah, the rest were a miss. Reggie isn't horrible..but not worth a 3rd round.

Reggie Smith isnt horrible he flat out sucks. Not sure where to look up the stat but I swear hes on the field for half of the recieving TDs the secondary has given up this year

Reggie Smith is hardly even on the field...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Marvin49:

No, Reggie IS horrible. All he covers is grass and he takes horrible angles allowing medium gain plays to become long TDs.

Reggie Smith is turrible.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:
Looking back not a bad draft by McCloughan. Three starters in the Pro Bowl, one alternate and a solid starter at CB in Brown. can we still bash McCloughan?

Can't bash him for that draft. It was great.

Its just proof that drunks can get lucky sometimes.
Originally posted by MarkD:
Originally posted by BHulman:

Can't bash him for that draft. It was great.

Its just proof that drunks can get lucky sometimes.

Nolan picks.

this wasn't a McCloughan draft, he wasn't named GM until 2008.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/03/18/SPED1CI02O.DTL

Above article states, Scot McCloughan, promoted to general manager in 2008, will reportedly be dismissed by the 49ers
Originally posted by 9erred:

agreed....

But if we ONLY had a better Pro-Bowl left tackle. Our offense would be awesome.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Reggie Smith is turrible.

Mays> Reggie Smith

The first 4 of those are great. # 5 is getting better and coming along. An excellent draft.
2008 draft was absolutely horrible.........
Share 49ersWebzone