LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

DT Devon Still, Penn St.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
We r 16 because teams cannot run against our defense. Teams r forced to the air. There are not many corners with a first round grade. Better value on the D line. Better to draft talent than draft for need. IMO

So, I guess I'm seeing things then, when opposing teams #2 receiver abuses Tarrell Brown. And if teams are forced to pass, shouldn't we UPGRADE at the CB or secondary position?? Clearly you don't expect this secondary to hold up against a Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning, each of those QB's would easily pick apart our secondary or how about Mike Vick who torched our secondary for 400 yards.

And with our run-defense playing so good, what makes you think Baalke would even draft a D-lineman in the 1st anyways?? After all he didn't even look towards the D-line in last years draft, I think hes pretty confident in our front seven now.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by PTulini:
What would we do with him?? J. Smith, Ray Mac, Sopoaga, RJF remember??

Competiton... Depth...

Our D-line is playing the best we've seen in a long time, not really necessary adding a D-lineman for depth reasons with a first day pick. A much better use of our first day picks should be at CB and WR. With that said, I don't think he'd even be around where we would be picking.

Why not? The Niners have very few pressing needs and they will have the luxury of picking who they want. After Baalke's stellar draft and off season, would you really mind if they chose someone like Still?

Why not?? So our situation at CB and WR hasn't bugged you enough, of course you could go on and just disagree with me for the hell of it, but how can one sit here and actually think we should spend a first day pick on a D-lineman over a WR or a CB.

It just boggles me, what some of you are thinking:

Alfonzo Dennard/Chase Minnifield or Devon Still

Michael Floyd/Dwight Jones or Devon Still

A complement to either Crabtree or Carlos Rogers or depth and most likely not much of an impact in Devon Still and/or are you people happy with Tarrell Brown as you #2 CB??

Yah, at least somebody gets it right.

Say what you want about our DB's but I think they have played and gel'ed really well together (especially in later part of the season) The last receiver I can think of to go past 100 yards against us is DJAX in week 4. I am starting to think we can draft a corner (like what we did with Culliver) in the 2nd or 3rd round now. Maybe someone like Janorice Jenkins? I would lke to get Kirkpatrick from Alabama though.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

Competiton... Depth...

Our D-line is playing the best we've seen in a long time, not really necessary adding a D-lineman for depth reasons with a first day pick. A much better use of our first day picks should be at CB and WR. With that said, I don't think he'd even be around where we would be picking.

Why not? The Niners have very few pressing needs and they will have the luxury of picking who they want. After Baalke's stellar draft and off season, would you really mind if they chose someone like Still?

Why not?? So our situation at CB and WR hasn't bugged you enough, of course you could go on and just disagree with me for the hell of it, but how can one sit here and actually think we should spend a first day pick on a D-lineman over a WR or a CB.

A complement to either Crabtree or Carlos Rogers or depth and most likely not much of an impact in Devon Still and/or are you people happy with Tarrell Brown as you #2 CB??

Say what you want about our DB's but I think they have played and gel'ed really well together (especially in later part of the season) The last receiver I can think of to go past 100 yards against us is DJAX in week 4. I am starting to think we can draft a corner (like what we did with Culliver) in the 2nd or 3rd round now. Maybe someone like Janorice Jenkins? I would lke to get Kirkpatrick from Alabama though.

True, our DB's have gelled, but look at the QB's we've been facing to when we have faced a top 10 QB, like Romo, Vick, Flacco, Stafford, Eli Manning (lucky for J. Smith's batted ball). We won't be seeing a Skelton, AJ Feeley, Colt McCoy or John Beck in the playoffs where it mattes most. THIS, is why we MUST upgrade in our secondary.

Competiton... Depth...

True, our DB's have gelled, but look at the QB's we've been facing to when we have faced a top 10 QB, like Romo, Vick, Flacco, Stafford, Eli Manning (lucky for J. Smith's batted ball). We won't be seeing a Skelton, AJ Feeley, Colt McCoy or John Beck in the playoffs where it mattes most. THIS, is why we MUST upgrade in our secondary.
yeah but to my knowledge Flacco, Stafford, and even Romo did not have that great of games against the secondary. I blame alot of the problem on M. Williams in the Dallas game for being out of position on alot of the big plays. Vick and Manning are the only two QB's that did well against us and look at the weapons they have on offense as well (DJAX, Maclin, McCoy) opposed to (Manningham, Nicks, and Cruz).
No chance he's a top 15 pick.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Competiton... Depth...

yeah but to my knowledge Flacco, Stafford, and even Romo did not have that great of games against the secondary. I blame alot of the problem on M. Williams in the Dallas game for being out of position on alot of the big plays. Vick and Manning are the only two QB's that did well against us and look at the weapons they have on offense as well (DJAX, Maclin, McCoy) opposed to (Manningham, Nicks, and Cruz).

Again, you blame someone that was part of the secondary how many times have I stress that?? BTW Romo torched us for 427 (at home) and Stafford for 244 and Flacco in a close game for 161. What part of this whole thread haven't you understood that CB or DB in general we need to upgrade???
  • buck
  • Veteran
I see someone gets it.

The main problem is that Still will gone long before we pick.

I think Still would be a candidate to replace Justin Smith in a year or two, but we do have more pressing needs on the team, such as interior offensive line and defensive backfield.

Competiton... Depth...

Again, you blame someone that was part of the secondary how many times have I stress that?? BTW Romo torched us for 427 (at home) and Stafford for 244 and Flacco in a close game for 161. What part of this whole thread haven't you understood that CB or DB in general we need to upgrade???
Well first off the thread is about to do with a DT. Secondly you dont have to get all defensive and act like the way you are over it. I will take those two (427 and 244) all year long for the way we been playing compared to previous years (BTW Romo threw for 345 against us). I think CB is a need to help provide depth now but not a major concern like when the season started. We rank 16th vs the pass right now. Yeah it could be better but its not as much a glaring need as what you make it out to be. I go WR 1st, DL to provide depth with Justin Smith grooming him, and then Corner. A Center could be strongly argued for as well in that mix. Say what you want and believe but resigning C. Rogers and T. Brown starting again next year is fine with me. Cully is strong enough to hold his own to be a starter. Rest you can add for depth at DB.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Competiton... Depth...

Well first off the thread is about to do with a DT. Secondly you dont have to get all defensive and act like the way you are over it. I will take those two (427 and 244) all year long for the way we been playing compared to previous years (BTW Romo threw for 345 against us). I think CB is a need to help provide depth now but not a major concern like when the season started. We rank 16th vs the pass right now. Yeah it could be better but its not as much a glaring need as what you make it out to be. I go WR 1st, DL to provide depth with Justin Smith grooming him, and then Corner. A Center could be strongly argued for as well in that mix. Say what you want and believe but resigning C. Rogers and T. Brown starting again next year is fine with me. Cully is strong enough to hold his own to be a starter. Rest you can add for depth at DB.

I think you read my post in a wrongfully meaning way, not getting defensive by any means, just pointing out things for you to understand much clearer from where I'm coming from. back to the thread at hand.

Sorry when I looked at Romo's passing yards against us, it was actually total yards passing against us. But still 345, our secondary was still torched in that game.

But how you can see that adding depth behind our D-line is much more important than upgrading our #2 at CB?? It may be fine with you, but the majority would say otherwise. And Culliver no doubt should be much better next year, but hes also shown to be suspect in deep man-coverage, something Dennard and Minnifield are much better at.

And again, seeing how our front seven has played well, what makes you think Baalke would draft a D-line in the 1st round anyway?? After all, they didn't think twice about not drafting a D-lineman in last years draft. Besides, Derek Wolfe of Cincinnati who's just as good could most likely be had in rounds 3-5, another high motor guy who just doesn't have the numbers of Still.

Have a nice day.
Originally posted by buck:

I think Still would be a candidate to replace Justin Smith in a year or two, but we do have more pressing needs on the team, such as interior offensive line and defensive backfield.

We'll see... A lot can change between now and April!
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM ]

Originally posted by buck:

We'll see... A lot can change between now and April!

yup if we sign snyder interior OL isnt a problem

if we lsoe edwards or rogers one of those becomes a proprity

i think we ressign rogers though seems like he wants to be here

luckily this is a deep class for both WR and CB

Competiton... Depth...

I think you read my post in a wrongfully meaning way, not getting defensive by any means, just pointing out things for you to understand much clearer from where I'm coming from. back to the thread at hand.

Sorry when I looked at Romo's passing yards against us, it was actually total yards passing against us. But still 345, our secondary was still torched in that game.

But how you can see that adding depth behind our D-line is much more important than upgrading our #2 at CB?? It may be fine with you, but the majority would say otherwise. And Culliver no doubt should be much better next year, but hes also shown to be suspect in deep man-coverage, something Dennard and Minnifield are much better at.

And again, seeing how our front seven has played well, what makes you think Baalke would draft a D-line in the 1st round anyway?? After all, they didn't think twice about not drafting a D-lineman in last years draft. Besides, Derek Wolfe of Cincinnati who's just as good could most likely be had in rounds 3-5, another high motor guy who just doesn't have the numbers of Still.

Have a nice day.

Sorry I took it wrong it was just the way I read it I guess. You never know I thought Detroit was going to go with Prince Amukamara but instead chose Nick Fairly. I think drafting another 3-4 DE high motor prospect to sit behind Justin Smith a few years to keep continuity as a dominate defensive line front is more important than the corner IMO. I understand your concern but getting a pick at CB in the late round for our first pick and asking for him to come in and make an immediate impact is more slim. I just think there is better value what you can get if you take a WR or strong high motor DE in the first thats all. If Dre Kirkpatick falls to us late in the 1st then I would be all for grabbing him. He offers what our defensive mindset brings and thats physicality.

Competiton... Depth...

If not Devon Still, would you be b***hing about the Niners picking Jared Crick at the tail end of the first round? Despite his injury, I think Crick is still a possibility, too.

In regards to picking a CB or WR in the first, it doesn't matter what I think. It matters what Baalke and his scouting department think. I distinctly remember many Niner fans b***hing about our front office waiting to sign a free agent CB and then ending up with Rogers who could be going to the Pro Bowl. I will defer to their expertise if they decide that a d-lineman is a better value at the end of the first round.

I will give you this. If someone like Michael Floyd drops to the end of the first round, that pick is a no-brainer. However, you know and I know that he won't make it that far. Dwight Jones is a good player, but the Niners seem intent on re-signing Morgan for next year. Neither Dennard or Minnifield are markedly better that Chris Culliver who we already have on our roster. The Niners have plenty of options available to them in free agency and at the end of the first round. I will not eliminate any of them at this point because a lot could happen between now and April.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Still think we need D-line depth, CB was the worst in today's game.

RG is quickly growing on me. Ben Jones of Georgia looking like a good pick maybe in the 2nd round or so.
Walsh said, on defense you need talent and offense you can scheme. Devon Still is a talented player, but mute point as he won't around when we draft. Wouldn't mind the team getting someone like him.
Share 49ersWebzone