There are 182 users in the forums

Marvin Jones from Cal

He is sort of under the radar heading into the 2012 Draft , but I feel like his game will translate well to the next level. He has good size , is strong and has pretty reliable hands. He isn't a burner , but has adequate amount of speed. He will probably be a 3rd or 4th round guy. If he blows up the combine and proday , he could fall into the 2nd. He is under the radar , because it stats are not mind blowing. Alot of that has to do with the inconsistat QB play ever since he has been at Cal, but the dude is super talented. The Niners could also be in a good position at the end of the first to get Sanu from Rutgers.

Here some highlights :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boy0tkwcv-A
I don't know. We have a roster full of posession type receivers, if they could catch the ball.
I'm thinking Crabtree, Edwards, Morgan etc. I think we need a burner.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I don't know. We have a roster full of posession type receivers, if they could catch the ball.
I'm thinking Crabtree, Edwards, Morgan etc. I think we need a burner.

True, but Jones is not only a possession guy he can also go deep.
He doesn't look that fast. He seems like a long strider more Josh Morgan. Now if we can get a guy with Ginn Speed and Hands then were good. Questions is i think morgan, Ginn, and Braylon's contracts are all up at the end of the season who do we keep, I think we will try to keep ginn as a return man for the right price, morgan should resign cheap coming of the injury, braylon may test the market, but he won't be getting a big deal of 14 million after this season!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
He doesn't look that fast. He seems like a long strider more Josh Morgan. Now if we can get a guy with Ginn Speed and Hands then were good. Questions is i think morgan, Ginn, and Braylon's contracts are all up at the end of the season who do we keep, I think we will try to keep ginn as a return man for the right price, morgan should resign cheap coming of the injury, braylon may test the market, but he won't be getting a big deal of 14 million after this season!

Unless Braylon performs incredibly down the stretch and into the playoffs the Michigan connection shouldn't be the reason we keep him. If he doesn't produce let him walk. Resign Ginn as the #4WR/KR guy, resign Morgan for a dirt cheap incentive laden deal and let him earn the money by showing he is fully recovered from the injury.

Jones looks great I am wondering what JH is going to do with Dontavia Bogan, that rookie on IR. I know a player can be cut at any time but he signed a 4 year deal as a UDFA so had he not been injured I wonder what capacity would JH be using him in and will he actually be on our final 53 next year?
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM ]
is this guy in either the senior bowl, shrine, or NFLPA game? anywhere?
dave razzano, fwiw, says niners have receivers who lack speed/quickness to get seperation....a guy like kendall wright would be a welcome addition imo...marvin jones would be redundent
Originally posted by hofer36:
dave razzano, fwiw, says niners have receivers who lack speed/quickness to get seperation....a guy like kendall wright would be a welcome addition imo...marvin jones would be redundent

like he said

i think that is a big problem especially in 3rd down situations
I think this guy could be a nice prospect to look at on day 3, at 6'3" and 202 lbs (as listed on the Cal site, would have to wait and see how he measures) he's definitely intriguing
Originally posted by vrabbit:

does that start this year?

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by vrabbit:

does that start this year?

you know what, I believe that's been going on this year and I do think it happened last year too if my research is correct

anyways I tweeted Marvin Jones and he replied saying he'd be at the Senior Bowl but he wasn't announced on their tweeter feed as a player accepting an invitation so
#Cal WR Marvin Jones had big catch after big catch today. Really helping himself at the #SeniorBowl

If he keeps this up he's going to put himself in the 4th round discussion, he's not the most talented WR in the class, but he's pro ready, can contribute right away for some team
Cal wide out Marvin Jones has been a consistently high performer all week. He makes all the grabs and runs sharp routes, quickly in and out of cuts. The quarterbacks know they can rely on Jones, and he is seeing increased targets. Jones was somewhat of a sleeper prior to this week but the word is clearly out and has elevated his stock to top 100 status, pending workouts.

that's just one guys opinion, at Draft Daddy, but interesting nonetheless
obviously as a Cal fan I'm a fan of this guy, but I also think he put himself on the map after a strong week of practice and game at the Senior Bowl - did he gain any fans after last week?

I hope he'd be available at the end of the 4th round if we haven't address the WR situation strongly by then - he was arguably the best route runner, high IQ, and good hands, good speed, comes from a Pro system, not much to dislike about the guy
Really impressed with MarvinJ as well. If we were to sign FA Robert Meachem (or an even better vet starter), I'd be happy with SF drafting Marvin in rd 4 to develop.
Share 49ersWebzone