LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 362 users in the forums

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

The way some of you guys scoff at us for liking Fleener is funny. We like the guy because he can immediately help a team that struggled in the redzone and 3rd downs. Some people keep saying we have other needs. We have 11 starters on Defense back and some good depth as well and no rookie is going to step in above them. The offense is pretty set as well. The 30th pick will not replace anyone on offense expect for Guard. A wr will not get in before Crabs, Manningham and we will see what we have in Moss first. A RB is not replacing Gore.

We can obviously add depth to any position, but all we are saying is that the Niners had no problem moving the ball last year. We had problems getting TD's. The Niners scored 380 points last year (11th in the league). That's pretty good! 132 of those points were field goals . Akers who was awesome, kicked 44 FG's... If we could have turned 10 of those 44 Fg's into TD's we would have scored 420 points and would have been 5th in the league in scoring, and Akers would have still led the league in FG's with 34. We just kicked too much.

Fleener can help where we need it most. Other draft picks can as well but they might not see too much playing time next year. He will upgrade Walker easily. In the redzone, teams will double up on VD and that will leave Fleener to be covered by a LB and Crabs and/or Moss in 1 on 1 coverage. We have good odds for scoring in this scenario. We have height and speed all over the field. The 2 TE isn't necessarily a backup either. I would think we use him at least 50% of the time and if we had a better one, the number would probably go up.

I trust Baelke and Harbs but Fleener just makes alot of sense in my eyes. I will not cry if we don't get him on thursday...I will just punch my friend who is a Bears fan
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This is what you claim but it doesn't mean that he can't beat a safety. You bringing up his 6'0 doesn't mean that he can't beat a safety. Most safeties are around 6' -6'3, some are even under 6'. There are only 2 safety on defense so if like you say they put a safety on Walker and 1 on VD, our receivers are 1 on 1. But wait we don't have a big, fast WR to beat the CB outright or use his size and body position for a jump ball. We need a WR more than a TE.

Meh. 49ers moved the ball down the field pretty well, they struggled when things tightened up, especially in the red-zone. That is where a big physical target like Fleener would make a huge impact rather than throwing out yet another receiver and hoping for miracles.

LOL, did u say Fleener is physcial? WOW. Actually, he's not physcial or big. Just tall and a little skinny for a TE.

Repeat after me...

He's Greg Olsen, except ten pounds lighter and can't block.

By the way... that's my OPINION Phoenix.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
The way some of you guys scoff at us for liking Fleener is funny. We like the guy because he can immediately help a team that struggled in the redzone and 3rd downs. Some people keep saying we have other needs. We have 11 starters on Defense back and some good depth as well and no rookie is going to step in above them. The offense is pretty set as well. The 30th pick will not replace anyone on offense expect for Guard. A wr will not get in before Crabs, Manningham and we will see what we have in Moss first. A RB is not replacing Gore.

We can obviously add depth to any position, but all we are saying is that the Niners had no problem moving the ball last year. We had problems getting TD's. The Niners scored 380 points last year (11th in the league). That's pretty good! 132 of those points were field goals . Akers who was awesome, kicked 44 FG's... If we could have turned 10 of those 44 Fg's into TD's we would have scored 420 points and would have been 5th in the league in scoring, and Akers would have still led the league in FG's with 34. We just kicked too much.

Fleener can help where we need it most. Other draft picks can as well but they might not see too much playing time next year. He will upgrade Walker easily. In the redzone, teams will double up on VD and that will leave Fleener to be covered by a LB and Crabs and/or Moss in 1 on 1 coverage. We have good odds for scoring in this scenario. We have height and speed all over the field. The 2 TE isn't necessarily a backup either. I would think we use him at least 50% of the time and if we had a better one, the number would probably go up.

I trust Baelke and Harbs but Fleener just makes alot of sense in my eyes. I will not cry if we don't get him on thursday...I will just punch my friend who is a Bears fan

I agree. i would like to see us get one of the top OG, but I can see Fleener fitting in and helping our offense at once... and I'd kick my best friend (he's a Packers fan) if we didn't get either a OG or Fleener at #30
If we get Fleener, I'll be happy. Then again if we pass on him and get Hill, then I'll be happy. If however, we pass on one or both and get Randle.. I'll be happy. Do you know why?

BECAUSE THAT'S WHO BAALKE THINKS IS THE BEST PLAYER AND HE'S ALOT BETTER AT THIS THAN ME. That's really the attitude everyone should have around here, he really proved his merit in a big way last year and I look forward to watching him do it again, with now a year of experience as GM under his belt.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
If we get Fleener, I'll be happy. Then again if we pass on him and get Hill, then I'll be happy. If however, we pass on one or both and get Randle.. I'll be happy. Do you know why?

BECAUSE THAT'S WHO BAALKE THINKS IS THE BEST PLAYER AND HE'S ALOT BETTER AT THIS THAN ME. That's really the attitude everyone should have around here, he really proved his merit in a big way last year and I look forward to watching him do it again, with now a year of experience as GM under his belt.

Dude DESTROYED the draft last year.

Chris Culliver?!?!? Who?!?!

Bruce Miller converted to FB?!? Really?!?!

Aldon Smith?!?! Not Amukamura?!?!

F'ing genius.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
I dont see 2 guys now with Ginn back.

Bowe
Green
Wayne
Fitzgerald
C Johnson
A Johnson
Cruz
Marshall
Colston
Steve Smith
Wallace
Jennings
Vincent Jackson
White

etc etc

A lot of teams have 1 real solid guy and another good compliment. We have a compliment and no solid guy.

I would immediately disagree with White, Jennings, Wallace, Colston, Wayne, and Cruz being listed as #1 receivers, but it is probably just a difference in definitions. I agree that all of those guys have been very productive, but I prefer the definition of a #1 WR as a guy that routinely faces double coverage and generally defeats it, on all areas of the field. IIRC, White generally operates on the outside only. If White was a true #1, ATL wouldn't have had to give up their draft to get Jones. I see Jennings, Wayne and Cruz as productsof their system and QBs providing them with favorable coverages and opportunities, as none of them are routinely thrown the ball when a defense doubles them. Colston operates almost entirely out of the slot, meaning he generally has the easiest coverage assignment of all the WRs on his team.

edit: to be fair, you did list these receivers as "solid guys," not #1s, so I was not necessarily directly disagreeing w/you.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:36 AM ]
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Mayock knows his s**t.

I'm a fan of Mayock's and yes, he knows his s**t. However, he tends to fall in love with hype and then he bashes others that have hype. For example, he's a HUGE Stephen Hill fan. Despite some of the flaws that Hill might have, like not having enough experience running routes or dropping some passes, he thinks Hill is a 1st rounder. I'm a Hill fan too, but let's face it, before the 40 time, he was a 2nd rounder.

Now with Fleener, we have a guy that's got good size as a tight end, an end zone threat, played in a pro style system, a willing blocker, runs good routes, good guy off the field, but Mayock doesn't think he's a "killer". What's that supposed to mean? The guy can be coached to becoming a better blocker.

I don't get this... Hill caught what, 49 passes and 9 TD's over 3 years. That's something like 16 catches and 3 TDs a year. Fleener caught 96 passes and 18 tds over 4 years for an average of 24 catches and 4.5 TDs a year. Hell, last year Fleener caught 2X TDs to Hills 1...

Exactly. Now, nothing against Hill. I'm still a fan of his and I actually hope that he's there at 30, but Mayock is basing his opinion on Hill purely on upside. If the kid has the right work ethic and develops well under an NFL playbook, he can truly become an elite receiver in the league. With Fleener, the guy produced in college, but Mayock doesn't think he's a 1st round prospect?!?!
Originally posted by kronik:
LOL, did u say Fleener is physcial? WOW. Actually, he's not physcial or big. Just tall and a little skinny for a TE.

6'6'' and 248 lbs with the frame to add 5-10 lbs of muscle. Don't see how that's skinny, really. I watch Stanford every year and the guy can block. Can he get better at it? Of course, but he's no pansy.

Repeat after me...

By the way... that's my OPINION Phoenix.

I actually brought up the Greg Olsen comparison prior to the combine and I stand by it. I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad comparison. Olsen is a very talented tight end, but was never really in the right system. His development in Chicago was cut short due to Martz' playbook and inability to take advantage of a talented tight end.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

The reasoning is that whichever WR we draft at 30 or lower will be required to develop first. So, instead of Fleener and Vernon occupying LB's with a late round developmental receiver, we will have a 1st round semi-developmental receive with ONLY vernon occupying LB's.

I would rather bolster both positions AND have one of them be an immediate impact player.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Repeat after me...

By the way... that's Amir and I's OPINION Phoenix.

THISSSSSSS

• DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
we should draft this guy I like him a lot!
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRnSFw:

I don't
he's another greg olson like that dude said ^^

Id rather draft a defensive player for the future, we could use another D lineman in our rotation and even though he came off his best season, Justin smith is getting up there in age. I also wouldn't mind drafting a cornerback

A guard or a WR would also be nice

We have 2 good young tes, one who is top 3 in the league, no need to draft one yet, especially in the 1st round
[ Edited by ImaMod on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Amir:
Repeat after me...

By the way... that's Amir and I's OPINION Phoenix.

THISSSSSSS

Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by DRnSFw:

I don't
he's another greg olson like that dude said ^^

Id rather draft a defensive player for the future, we could use another D lineman in our rotation and even though he came off his best season, Justin smith is getting up there in age. I also wouldn't mind drafting a cornerback

A guard or a WR would also be nice

We have 2 good young tes, one who is top 3 in the league, no need to draft one yet, especially in the 1st round

Still don't understand why the Olsen comparison is a bad thing. Dude is talented and he was progressing well in CHI before Martz came in and under utilized the TE position. He got traded to Carolina and Cam started to use him a lot more.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Fleener sucks. Let's just end this thread. kthanksbye
Share 49ersWebzone