LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 208 users in the forums

The benefit of drafting late

Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Looks like we will get a 50% break this year...

7. Aldon Smith DE San Francisco Signed Four years, $14.3M

28. Mark Ingram RB New Orleans Signed Four years, $7.41M
29. Gabe Carimi OT Chicago Signed Four years, $7.06M
30. Muhammad Wilkerson DT N.Y. Jets Signed Four years, undisclosed money
31. Cam Heyward DT Pittsburgh Signed Four years, $6.7M
32. Derek Sherrod OT Green Bay Signed Four years, $6.6M

This is where resigning guys gets easier in the long run!!

I'll take Aldon for 14, please.

As would I but say for instance Konz fell to us late....

Konz at a 4 year $7M
Goodwin at a 3 year $10.9M
To me what it means is that the Niners 100% must draft best player available. That late in the draft, picking based on need is a good way to end up with Rashad Woods. I would love to get a CB or WR, but they have to stay true to their draft board.

It also suggests to me that the money saved on the higher draft picks probably needs to go to prudent FA spending to fill those needs. Not Washington Redskins style, but good, solid, value based veterans like Balke signed last year.

Draft BPA and value based FA Vets, that sounds like a winning combo to me.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by davidboutte:
1. Please explain cap hell.... Educate me.
2. Top 10 picks are given for the 10 teams with worst records and no I dont want to be one of those teams. However, aquiring picks is always possible and smply said I would take drafting in the top 10 vs the bottom anytime. Not every year.

You can try and make a positive out of drafting lower in the 1st round, I get that. Saying you prefer to draft at the bottom of the first round now that the rookie wage scale has changed is ridiculous. In years past, drafting top 3 sucked. Having to pay all that money... 40, 50, 60 million.

My point is that money is no longer a factor, period.

Do you understand the magnitude of Sam Bradford making 78 million as the 1 in 2010 vs Cam Newton 22 million in 2011? You could pick #1 every year for a long time before "cap hell".....Oops please explain that concept for me!
is this the dog???
IMHO saving money for less talent is a double edged sword - so the trade-off is a wash.

I think the biggest pressure is on scouting. Drafting late, you don't have sure-fire talent (as much as it can be -- a la Willis, VD, etc). You have to be able to "project" talent much better than your peers. Baalke and JH demonstrated that ability this draft with selections like Aldon and Culliver. So at least they may be able to do it better than most.

I think the primary advantage is the flexibility it allows you at the end of round 1 and top or round 2. You can make the case that the talent tends to break down approximately 1-15 top tier; 16-32 AND 33-43 of 2nd round are fairly interchangeable, as long as you aren't deperate for a certain position.

As a late round 1position, you have the ability to trade back with those teams desperate to fill a specific need and grab from a dwindling stock of 16-43 talent. Those trades are VERY lucrative too -- you can often get a next year's 1st rounder for one of these spots; or at least get their #2 spot and a 3rd and 4th in addition. This is the pattern by which NE stockpiles 1st round picks so often.

I don't see SF trading their 1st round spot this year because they have two glaring needs for upgrade - WR and C/G. BUT, if their guy looks to be available a few spots back, or they would take either of a couple of remaining candidate, let the stockpiling begin! That is how you build a dynasty in this day and age.
[ Edited by HearstFan on Jan 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The Patriots get 2 first round picks every year because of this.

Yeah but the pats have really messed up lately with alot of their moves. Outside of the young CB, and the two TE's they've missed on some offseason moves. Especially Albert and Chad.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
IMHO saving money for less talent is a double edged sword - so the trade-off is a wash.

I think the biggest pressure is on scouting. Drafting late, you don't have sure-fire talent (as much as it can be -- a la Willis, VD, etc). You have to be able to "project" talent much better than your peers. Baalke and JH demonstrated that ability this draft with selections like Aldon and Culliver. So at least they may be able to do it better than most.

I think the primary advantage is the flexibility it allows you at the end of round 1 and top or round 2. You can make the case that the talent tends to break down approximately 1-15 top tier; 16-32 AND 33-43 of 2nd round are fairly interchangeable, as long as you aren't deperate for a certain position.

As a late round 1position, you have the ability to trade back with those teams desperate to fill a specific need and grab from a dwindling stock of 16-43 talent. Those trades are VERY lucrative too -- you can often get a next year's 1st rounder for one of these spots; or at least get their #2 spot and a 3rd and 4th in addition. This is the pattern by which NE stockpiles 1st round picks so often.

I don't see SF trading their 1st round spot this year because they have two glaring needs for upgrade - WR and C/G. BUT, if their guy looks to be available a few spots back, or they would take either of a couple of remaining candidate, let the stockpiling begin! That is how you build a dynasty in this day and age.

Because we drafted fantastic this year outside the first I have confidence
Share 49ersWebzone