LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 442 users in the forums

What position do we target in the first round next year?

Our 3 main players whose contracts expire at the end of the year are Rogers, Edwards, and Goldson...am I missing anyone? Obviously if we lose any of those guys, that position will likely be addressed with our first round pick. But if we re-sign all 3, which I think is very likely (especially Rogers and Goldson, barring Rosenhaus wanting like $20M guaranteed), I can't imagine what position we would take in the 1st round. MAYBE a center to groom for after Goodwin? Perhaps a guard (Rachal is gonna be a free agent also and as it is his status is tenuous to say the least)? I just feel like our roster is so stacked right now and there really is no position group that's a glaring weakness. Great problem to have. I think a sleeper could be OLB again. A. Smith will start at ROLB in 2012. 2012 1st rounder would be LOLB of the future (or even start as a rookie), relegating Brooks to a role of being a solid back-up/d-end on nickel. Haralson, if he makes the team next year, would be the 4th OLB (a luxury we don't possess this year). But then again, Brooks has been playing very well this year so who the hell knows?
WR or Cornerback
WR, FS, C, NT, 3-4 DE (for depth)
it really depends on how the draft falls together... odds are we are gonna have a pick in the 20's some were and its just best player available at that point.

also ahmad brooks is a freeagent so we gotta get him resigned.

but i would personally like to take some kind of Defensive lineman in the first and a corner in the second.. or vice versa just depending on how the draft falls together by our pick
[ Edited by tankle104 on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:12 PM ]
new water boy
Originally posted by valrod33:
WR or Cornerback

If we re-sign Edwards and Rogers though, those groups are deep. You got Crabtree/Edwards/Morgan/Ginn/Williams and Rogers/Culliver/Brown/Spencer/Brock...you may be right, but if so, those groups could just be ridiculously deep. Although, if we lose Braylon, replacing him with a Michael Floyd or something would be sick.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Courtney Upshaw to replace or play behind Ahmad Brooks if we resign him or Alshon Jeffery if we lose Edwards or Morgan in free agency or Dre Kirkpatrick or Chase Minnifield to replace Rogers if we lose him.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
WR, FS, C, NT, 3-4 DE (for depth)

As for NT and DE, I think RJF provides more than adequate depth for both. And that's essentially just for injury too since we rarely rotate d-linemen.
Hopefully the Niners will be drafting in the high 20's next year. Generally speaking, the bottom half of the draft is value range where talented players slip down the board from other teams reaching to fill needs.

Ideally, it'll come down to taking the best player on the board.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
CB or Wr

Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by valrod33:
WR or Cornerback

If we re-sign Edwards and Rogers though, those groups are deep. You got Crabtree/Edwards/Morgan/Ginn/Williams and Rogers/Culliver/Brown/Spencer/Brock...you may be right, but if so, those groups could just be ridiculously deep. Although, if we lose Braylon, replacing him with a Michael Floyd or something would be sick.
Ginn and Morgan are FA as well
go out in the draft and trade for luck!
You are missing QB. Alex only signed a 1 year deal.
Even though it is currently a strength, I would add DL to the list. I really like this guy Crick from Nebraska (who reminds me a lot of Justin Smith). Since Smith is now 32 (which is pretty old for a DLman), getting Crick would allow him to study under a terrific mentor and then, the Niners don't lose a beat when Smith finally does slow down.

The other position I would consider is QB, especially if there is a really good prospect still on the board.

All of that being said, it is clear that WR is a position that could definitely use some upgrading. Fortunately for the Niners, there are a number of really big, physical WRs in this draft so they should be able to get one of them.

Since Culliver has shown great progress and development at CB (without even a full off-season) and T Brown has also showed good improvement, the Niners are actually better off at that position than they have been in recent years. They definitely need to resign Rogers and if they do that, they would probably be fine getting a CB in the second or third round. They could also use another S for depth. Madieu Williams seems to me to be a one year stop-gap type of player.

At some point, they will undoubtedly have to draft an OG and possibly a center. I know they now have Kilgore and Person but....depth on the OL is always welcome.

Cheers!
Receiver, corner back/safety or guard/center
Share 49ersWebzone