LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

2012 49ers Needs and Prospects That Could Fill Them

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Yo OTC any chances on a better FS falling to us then a CB in the first? I know its early but how will the drop in talent be from the 1st to the 2nd at DB?

Way too early to tell. No idea who is actually going to be available come draft day. Right now it seems that there should be some very good DBs available from rounds 1-3. However, based on our history, many of the CBs will not fit our system this year. Many of them are just too small. We just don't draft corners that are smaller than 5-11 for whatever reason. With receivers like Mike Williams, Sidney Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. in the division though, it makes sense.

Players that meet the 49ers size expectations this year are as follows:

Chase Minnifield, Virginia -- 6-0 185 4.49
Coryell Judie, Texas A&M -- 5-11 190 4.48
Donnie Fletcher, Boston College -- 6-1 195 4.53
Trumaine Johnson, Montana -- 6-2 204 4.52
Robert Blanton, Notre Dame -- 6-0 200 4.53
Casey Heyward, Vanderbilt -- 5-11 188 4.53
D'Anton Lynn, Penn St. -- 6-0 208 4.53 (injured)
Tashuan Gipson, Wyoming -- 6-0 203 4.57 (probably needs to be a safety)
Troy Woolfolk, Michigan -- 6-0 191 4.54 (injury prone, late rounder)

Unfortunately, right now only a few of these are seen as early picks.

Way too early to tell. No idea who is actually going to be available come draft day. Right now it seems that there should be some very good DBs available from rounds 1-3. However, based on our history, many of the CBs will not fit our system this year. Many of them are just too small. We just don't draft corners that are smaller than 5-11 for whatever reason. With receivers like Mike Williams, Sidney Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. in the division though, it makes sense.

What about Dre Kirkpatrick from Alabama and the kid that got kicked out of Florida with character issues?
[ Edited by kronik on Oct 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Yo OTC any chances on a better FS falling to us then a CB in the first? I know its early but how will the drop in talent be from the 1st to the 2nd at DB?

What about Dre Kirkpatrick from Alabama and the kid that got kicked out of Florida with character issues?

That list is only seniors.
Still want a CB and FS very early...toss in a SS in the mid rounds.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I think Goldson and Edwards will move on, Rogers will get extended. I think we go WR or S depending on BPA.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Good list, OTC. Here's who I'm liking at those positions of need:

CB: Alfonzo Dennard - Nebraska (very physical corner with great tackling technique. IMO, best tackler at the position in this draft)
Stephon Gilmore - South Carolina (also very physical with size and speed)
S: Delano Howell - Stanford (Harbaugh is familiar with this kid and the fact that he's an absolute ballhawk)
Markelle Martin - Ok. State (Also a big fan of this guy. Has a nose for the football for sure)
G: David DeCastro - Stanford (another player that Harbs has coached. The kid is huge and can finally help open holes on the right side)
Barrett Jones - Alabama (watching Alabama run over their opponents is always fun. This guy is a huge reason why.)
C: Scott Wedige - N. Illinois (we don't get to watch their games too often, but they showed a replay this weekend and the guy was so physical in the trenches)
OLB: Vinny Curry - Marshall (haven't watched much of his game but the guy is an absolute highlight reel. He's a monster pass rusher)
Jonathan Massaquoi - Troy (13.5 sacks, 20.5 TFL, and a forced fumble. 'Nuff said)
Shayne Skov - Stanford (honorable mention. Due to injury, his stock is here nor there, but the guy is a beast and has a non stop motor)
WR: *besides the "usual suspects," Justin Blackmon and Alshon Jeffery*
Dwight Jones - North Carolina (I was a big fan of Greg Little last year and Jones is picking up the same steam. I love physical receivers that go up the middle)
Kendall Wright - Baylor (the guy is extremely versatile. He catches passes, he rushes, he even passes. His route running still needs work, but the potential is there)

I have to say David Decastro is definitely growing on me.
Originally posted by Hopper:
I have to say David Decastro is definitely growing on me.

He had a great game on Saturday and blocked Alameda from Washington real well.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
He had a great game on Saturday and blocked Alameda from Washington real well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8I56-rnbZ8
pretty good breakdown of him against Notre Dame, Oregon and Va tech last season. Overall he's extremely impressive.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I think Goldson and Edwards will move on, Rogers will get extended. I think we go WR or S depending on BPA.

I hope not cause that sure would hurt to burn a high round pick on a safety when we could just bring Goldson back and continue to get good production out of him. By no means do I feel that Goldson will ever be a pro bowler but I wouldn't mind bringing him back next year so we could use a high round pick to upgrade a different position like OG,CB,NT,OLB
goldson is a good player but not a playmaking FS
however they arent really good fsprospects this year

as for our first round pick we should go wr if braylon leaves otherwise cb or de gets my vote
Advantage of being a Rookie Coach coming out of the NCAA? Being able to see some of these guys up close and personal. JH knows college football. He knows where to look, who has talent, where the "diamond in the rough"s are and who will fit his team morally, emothionally, mentally, and physically. JH willl lead us all on the path back to greatness. It will take a few years to be on the level of the Pats, Packers, and Saints, but we will get there.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

as for our first round pick we should go wr if braylon leaves otherwise cb or de gets my vote

I think Braylon will want to stay. He wont get big money because he wont have the time to put up big numbers...better for us. I could see a 3-4 year deal for good but not great money.
I think Braylon will want to stay. He wont get big money because he wont have the time to put up big numbers...better for us. I could see a 3-4 year deal for good but not great money.

Yup, and I think location is a big thing as well. I heard on the radio that he loves the bay area.

Yup, and I think location is a big thing as well. I heard on the radio that he loves the bay area.

and we are winning, better for him to be a part of a team that is winning and wants to keep him

Goldston had 18 tackles in his first two games back from injury. Had a big hit in the eagles game and the Buccs game. He may not be a playmaker but he's an impact player because his presence is known on the field. We would have won if he wasnt injured against Dallas. Tht TD Miles Austin had on M. Williams was because Williams tried to pick it off instead of just pushing Austin out of bounds, going for the light up or simply just swatting the ball away. Goldston plays hard. Get somebody better to back him up if we were going for a FS like a good late rounder. idk. but Medieu Williams wont be re-signing
Originally posted by martysofresh:

Goldston had 18 tackles in his first two games back from injury. Had a big hit in the eagles game and the Buccs game. He may not be a playmaker but he's an impact player because his presence is known on the field. We would have won if he wasnt injured against Dallas. Tht TD Miles Austin had on M. Williams was because Williams tried to pick it off instead of just pushing Austin out of bounds, going for the light up or simply just swatting the ball away. Goldston plays hard. Get somebody better to back him up if we were going for a FS like a good late rounder. idk. but Medieu Williams wont be re-signing

i've always thought the same thing. romo might not test the tall and rangy goldson the way he did MW. either way, i think goldson makes that play, and worst case scenario, it goes incomplete if not the pick... and we're 6-0. depth at S, OLB and NT are my biggest concerns with this D going forward. Of course, a team can never have too many good CBs
Share 49ersWebzone