LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

2012 49ers Needs and Prospects That Could Fill Them

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think a game changing, play making WR is clearly the Niners #1 need in next years draft

We would benefit the most by choosing a WR in the 1st round.

I also wouldn't mind a guard or safety.

Im with both of you. A playmaking WR can take this team to the next level. And we don't know what Edwards and Morgan will do after this year.

Well I'll correct my original statement by saying that we should choose a playmaking WR in the first few rounds if possible but Justin Blackmon would be nice
what do you guys think about nick toon?

seems like he'll be one of the best WRs available in the late first-early second.

Originally posted by YungAce:
what do you guys think about nick toon?

seems like he'll be one of the best WRs available in the late first-early second.

See my earlier comments on previous page. I think he's a nice fit to the 49ers system. Big guy who is a strong blocker and good route-runner. Not a burner or much of a shake-n-bake guy, but he's a guy that makes sense if the 49ers go WR in round two. However, I do think there are some overall more talented players out there.
Nick....

...Toon?

That's awesome. Plus, with just one alteration, we could have a customized jersey for valrod.
The niners could use a top tier RB if the right QB isn't available in the first. I can easily see the niners picking a QB, RB, WR, SS, or a FS in the first round. I guess its time to start looking at prospects...
Originally posted by fister30:
The niners could use a top tier RB if the right QB isn't available in the first. I can easily see the niners picking a QB, RB, WR, SS, or a FS in the first round. I guess its time to start looking at prospects...

It really will come down to free agency this year. The team could have a fair amount of holes to fill, as there are many players with expiring contracts. Could be very interesting to see which players stay, which players go, which players are added in the month prior to the draft, and where this leaves the team.

There really isn't a running back worth taking that high this year besides Trent Richardson. Plus, a platoon of Kendall Hunter and Frank Gore should do us fine.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

It really will come down to free agency this year. The team could have a fair amount of holes to fill, as there are many players with expiring contracts. Could be very interesting to see which players stay, which players go, which players are added in the month prior to the draft, and where this leaves the team.

I doubt we go after a RB with Frank Gore locked up and the team's belief in Hunter as the RB of the future. If we upgrade anywhere, it will probably be our OL, WR, and our secondary. But you're right, it depends on what pieces stay.

If Edwards, Rogers (expressed desire to stay already), Goldson, M.Williams, and Brooks all go, we will need to put heavy focus on the secondary and pass-rusher again -- at least two or three picks there.

Right now, I'm thinking 2 OL, 2 DB, 1 OLB, 1 DL, 1 WR.

Even if we keep Brooks, we can upgrade our depth. We just need to continue to add playmakers, plain and simple. A playmaking WR, OLB, and DB should be on our list.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Im with both of you. A playmaking WR can take this team to the next level. And we don't know what Edwards and Morgan will do after this year.

Second this...

I guarantee we end up trading back to collect picks.... We'll do what the Ravens/Pats do in trading back and letting the first round talents that sink into round 2 be ours! That's where we can get a low risk immediate impact kinda guy....

Chase Raiter's gay!
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
I guarantee we end up trading back to collect picks.... We'll do what the Ravens/Pats do in trading back and letting the first round talents that sink into round 2 be ours! That's where we can get a low risk immediate impact kinda guy....

Chase Raiter's gay!

i think we need to make the playoffs for a couple of years before we start trading back like those teams
I really don't understand the first round WR hype in here. Edwards is a top three pick, he's still 28, and he's a former All-Pro. As far as I can tell, there are no Calvin or AJ Green talents in this year's draft. Guys like Blackmon and Floyd are nice, but the bust potential of first round WRs is well documented and we already have two high picks who--though not exactly SUPERstars--are more or less playing up to their potential.

It seems like some people think drafting Blackmon will suddenly make us a 350 ypg team through the air. We have the talent already. If Crabtree, Edwards, and Vernon were on the Chargers or Saints they'd be putting up numbers.
Oh, and I get the uncertainty of Edwards's contract situation. My point is, unless he lays an egg the rest of the year, PAY THE MAN. Allowing us to focus our first and second round picks on (as has been said in this thread) defensive playmakers and possibly OL would be huge.
nick toon! nick toon! nick toon!
Share 49ersWebzone