There are 314 users in the forums

2012 49ers Needs and Prospects That Could Fill Them

Originally posted by martysofresh:
I like Cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick from Alabama - 6'3 and 192. Think a big corner would be nice
WR Jeff Fuller 6'4 and 220. I forgot his school
WR Greg Childs 6'3 and 217

I like Fuller too. He goes to TA&M. Unfortunately, his shown a bit of softness in his part the last two games.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Not really a fan of Dre Kirkpatrick, that guy uses poor technique that would be pass-interference in the NFL. QB's pick on him and he does get beat more than he should, considering hes probably recognized as the top CB in this class. And for a guy that's 6'3" hes pretty soft in run support, tackles high, doesn't even wrap up, gets dragged.Much rather take a chance on Alfonzo Dennard or Chase Minnifield.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Not really a fan of Dre Kirkpatrick, that guy uses poor technique that would be pass-interference in the NFL. QB's pick on him and he does get beat more than he should, considering hes probably recognized as the top CB in this class. And for a guy that's 6'3" hes pretty soft in run support, tackles high, doesn't even wrap up, gets dragged.Much rather take a chance on Alfonzo Dennard or Chase Minnifield.

Agreed. His hips are stiff too. I still think Dennard is the best corner in this draft.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Agreed. His hips are stiff too. I still think Dennard is the best corner in this draft.

I think so too, only thing that worries me is that college listed him taller than what he really will measure at the Combine. Then again, that would be better for us, if Fangio agreed.
A guy to keep an eye on is Kendall Wright the WR from Baylor. He is a bit of a sleeper right now, but with the attention RG3 is getting, he will certainly benefit.

Also, Morris Claiborne CB out of LSU.
Originally posted by saniner:
A guy to keep an eye on is Kendall Wright the WR from Baylor. He is a bit of a sleeper right now, but with the attention RG3 is getting, he will certainly benefit.

Also, Morris Claiborne CB out of LSU.

Yup, I mentioned Kendall Wright in the first page. Intriguing prospect.
If we can get our hands on Wisconsin center, Peter Konz, then we have a special player next to Mike Iupati. Konz is so big and mobile that it is scary. Could be a top 20 selection by draft day if he decides to come out. Best interior lineman in the draft, and it may not be close.

I'm glad someone else is keeping an eye on him, he is very versatile.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
If we can get our hands on Wisconsin center, Peter Konz, then we have a special player next to Mike Iupati. Konz is so big and mobile that it is scary. Could be a top 20 selection by draft day if he decides to come out. Best interior lineman in the draft, and it may not be close.

Definitely stood out in the Nebraska game.
Originally posted by saniner:

I'm glad someone else is keeping an eye on him, he is very versatile.

Yea, I just hope they televise more Baylor games. Griffin to Wright has been fun to watch.

He's just so mobile that it is scary. Maybe the most mobile, big-time college center in the last decade.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 5, 2011 at 10:42 AM ]
He's just so mobile that it is scary. Maybe the most mobile, big-time college center in the last decade.

would we really want to burn another high pick on the OL?

Playing in Wisconsin's offense helps him a ton for the pros too. However, with Goodwin signed, do you see us burning even a 2nd round pick on Konz?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I still don't understand why we don't elect to try Culliver at Free Safety. I know he has the ability to DEVELOP into a solid corner possibly, but at safety the transition would be much quicker I believe for him. He has great closing speed. He may not be the hitter that Goldson is, but he can cover.

Completely agree... When Culliver played FS in college, he did a fine job, so he already feels comfortable at that position. I think the reasons the Niners switched him to CB were several:
1) his speed
2) his athletic ability in general
3) his grasp of the position when he was interviewed before the draft
4) the fact that Nate Clements' future with the team was in doubt and at the time, they hadn't yet signed Rogers. They needed a big CB in a division that included Larry Fitzgerald.

Next year in training camp, depending on who is drafted, the team may decide that Culliver is a better fit at S.

That being said, Culliver seems to be doing a pretty good job at CB (especially for a rookie who is changing positions) and since it is so difficult to find talented, speedy, tall CBs these days, the team may decide they are better off keeping him on the edge.

In any case, the Niners got a player that will certainly help them going forward and if he develops, could be a real special player.
Originally posted by jreff22:
would we really want to burn another high pick on the OL?

If the value is there, I say yes. We need a center for the future. I would still prefer to get a guy in the 2nd though
Share 49ersWebzone