Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Name your top-5 WR's to watch this season looking at the 2012 NFL Draft

1. Justin Blackmon - Oklahoma State
2. Ryan Broyles - Oklahoma
3. Alshon Jeffery - South Carolina
4. Michael Floyd - Notre Dame
5. Jeff Fuller - Texas A&M

Honorable Mention: Jordan White (Western Michigan), Juron Criner (Arizona), Greg Childs (Arkansas)
really curious to see what Floyd runs

but I don't want a WR in the first, would rather take a CB
Alshon Jeffery South Carolina
Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State
Michael Floyd Notre Dame
Jeff Fuller Texas A&M
Ryan Broyles Oklahoma
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM ]
i remember blackmon's name in a discussion years ago. he must be the real deal if he's been hyped for that long
  1. Alshon Jeffery - South Carolina
  2. Ryan Broyles - Oklahoma
  3. Justin Blackmon - Oklahoma ST.
  4. Greg Childs - Arkansas
  5. Michael Floyd - Notre Dame
@jreff someone on this list will be there in round 2, we might take a WR then
I've been debating Blackmon vs Jeffery for awhile now: IMO Blackmon is the most sure pick, while Jeffery is the most intriguing.talent in terms of all the measurables and skills
Originally posted by vrabbit:

possibly

right now if I was mapping the draft I would go with:
1. CB
2. FS
3. C/OG
4. NT
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

possibly

1. CB
2. FS
3. C/OG
4. NT
I've gone way off topic but I think it's necessary to point out the more pressing issues of our roster. It's okay to dream about drafting Jeffery, Blackmon, Fuller, or Criner but as long as Braylon plays like a true #1 and he is being honest about staying in SF long term we won't have any kind of a remote need for an early round WR even if we don't retain Morgan or Ginn. Edwards, Crabtree, Williams, Johnson sounds like pretty good core group.

Why would we draft a NT next year? Are you going off the idea of Sopoaga not working out? Ian Williams will probably make the final 53 and challenge RJF as for the backup NT.
Then on the safety issue, as long as Goldon plays up to his 2009 form or Reggie Smith shows the promise Harbuagh sees we also won't need an early round safety. Finding a long term answer at center after Goodwin, an elite cover corner, and probably even a successor to Justin Smith are the next 3 hurdles for the 9ers to clear.
[ Edited by sfout on Aug 21, 2011 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:

possibly

1. CB
2. FS
3. C/OG
4. NT
I've gone way off topic but I think it's necessary to point out the more pressing issues of our roster. It's okay to dream about drafting Jeffery, Blackmon, Fuller, or Criner but as long as Braylon plays like a true #1 and he is being honest about staying in SF long term we won't have any kind of a remote need for an early round WR even if we don't retain Morgan or Ginn. Edwards, Crabtree, Williams, Johnson sounds like pretty good core group.

Why would we draft a NT next year? Are you going off the idea of Sopoaga not working out? Ian Williams will probably make the final 53 as our backup NT.
Then on the safety issue, as long as Goldon plays up to his 2009 form or Reggie Smith shows the promise Harbuagh sees we also won't need an early round safety. Finding a long term answer at center after Goodwin, an elite cover corner, and probably even a successor to Justin Smith are the next 3 hurdles for the 9ers to clear.

Williams has not unseated anybody so right now he can go to the PS (he may not be good when all is said and done). ICE may be effective at NT but then again he may not be. Also ICE's contract is up in 2013 so he could be gone very soon as well. We need to add a young NT for depth and to compete for the starting spot, banking on Williams to be that guy is not smart.

Goldson is back because R Smith got hurt. As of now I am looking at the situation as Goldson walking and Smith not staying healthy. To be honest Goldson is nothing great and has flashed a couple of times but is very meh the vast majority of the time. There is a reason there was no interest in him in the FA market. Mays will probably not be around as well and M Williams isn't really anything long term. C Taylor hasn't done anything so he can go with the rest. We have a log jam right now but could be almost empty at the end of the season. Drafting an actual ball hawk who has a starter skill set means pulling the trigger early. As of now most can agree that the defensive backfield is the least ready and has the lowest set of skilled players. Going with a CB-FS combo as 1 and 2 will upgrade the unit over night and allow us to let the front 7 go crazy. The last team to do this was Cle (although it was CB-SS) it added a serious punch to their D. We may of found keepers in Culliver and Adams but we still need help, Spencer is solid but is getting a little older (and like Ice is a FA in 2013).
Not sure what order just yet -- other than Blackmon being my #1, but something like this:

1. Blackmon
2. Jeffrey
3. Fuller
4. Childs
5. Floyd

Possible movers: Nick Toon (Wisconsin), Broyles, Criner.
OTC, interesting that Broyles isn't in your top 5, can you expand your thoughts on that?
jeffery (i think he has best skill set)
blackmon
floyd
fuller
childs

only fuller and childs would have a chance to make it to round 2 (pending season of course

either way i really want a CB in this draft hopefully we can resign carlos rogers too (who looks to be one of the better coverage corners in nfl) we may have an elite secondary i hope reggie smith can stay healthy though
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
jeffery (i think he has best skill set)
blackmon
floyd
fuller
childs

only fuller and childs would have a chance to make it to round 2 (pending season of course

either way i really want a CB in this draft hopefully we can resign carlos rogers too (who looks to be one of the better coverage corners in nfl) we may have an elite secondary i hope reggie smith can stay healthy though

I don't think we are close to elite in secondary at all. Whitner was an EXCELLENT signing. We need a ball-hawking FS and CB EARLY in the draft next year even if we keep Rogers.
really curious to see what Floyd runs

but I don't want a WR in the first, would rather take a CB

Michael Floyd has 3 alcohol related arrest I doubt he will be taken in the top two rounds, nobody wants a drunk.