LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Name your top-5 WR's to watch this season looking at the 2012 NFL Draft

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Alshon is a beast, although I would put Blackmon definitely ahead of him due to the speed differential. I will be very surprised if Alshon isn't in the 4.6 range at the combine. Other than that, though, he's a monster that catches everything halfway catchable (an important distinction when taking into consideration his hillbilly QB) thrown at him.

he actually reminds me a bt of andre johnson solid hands solid route running good size but not extremely fast
+1, he's a less explosive Andre Johnson IMO.

I could live with that for sure
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Alshon is a beast, although I would put Blackmon definitely ahead of him due to the speed differential. I will be very surprised if Alshon isn't in the 4.6 range at the combine. Other than that, though, he's a monster that catches everything halfway catchable (an important distinction when taking into consideration his hillbilly QB) thrown at him.

he actually reminds me a bt of andre johnson solid hands solid route running good size but not extremely fast
+1, he's a less explosive Andre Johnson IMO.

I could live with that for sure

Ehh, I can't really see that comparison. I think Plaxico would be the better comparison.
No way we should use a first round pick on a WR this year.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
No way we should use a first round pick on a WR this year.

Why? Braylon Edwards isn't healthy very often and neither is Crabtree...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Fair points, but I don't think those considerations outweigh the weakness of the secondary. It's not like I said we shouldn't use any draft picks on WRs.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Fair points, but I don't think those considerations outweigh the weakness of the secondary. It's not like I said we shouldn't use any draft picks on WRs.

I think, like others have already pointed out, it depends who's on the board when our turn comes, I wouldn't want to reach for a CB if we can get a stud at another position of need.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
This year's WR class will be absolutely INSANE in terms of the talent-load. I see close to 10 potential first round talents, based on possible risers.

One guy who you definitely want to keep an eye on is North Carolina's Dwight Jones. He's 6-4 225 and clocks around 4.53. Last year he finished with 62 catches for 946 yards and 4 TDs. leading the team in receiving. He's off to a good start so far. In his first game he had 116 yards and 2 TDs.

As much as I long for the return of an explosive receiver, I agree with the posters who think that we will be more likely to take a CB in round one. We are probably playing ourselves out of the Blackmon/Jeffery sweepstakes anyway. I hope the WR class is as deep as you suggest it will be and we can find a gem in round two..I don't know a lot about Dwight Jones, maybe he could be that type of player in rounds 2-3.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
As much as I long for the return of an explosive receiver, I agree with the posters who think that we will be more likely to take a CB in round one. We are probably playing ourselves out of the Blackmon/Jeffery sweepstakes anyway. I hope the WR class is as deep as you suggest it will be and we can find a gem in round two..I don't know a lot about Dwight Jones, maybe he could be that type of player in rounds 2-3.

If we can get Dennard in the 1st round, I'd be ecstatic to land Dwight Jones in the 2nd.
i hope we go WR in round 2 unless all the good CBs are gone in the 1st
To me, there are too many other major areas of need in the early rounds before targeting WR. Plus, selecting a WR in the first round is like witchcraft. Highly unpredictable. Find a dominant interior offensive lineman (the bust rate is much lower), and you might actually have a decent offense someday.

First round interior lineman since 2006:

2011:
Mike Pouncey
Danny Watkins

2010:
Mike Iupati
Maurkice Pouncey

2009:
Alex Mack

2008: None

2007:
Ben Grubbs

2006:
Davin Joseph
Nick Mangold

Of the 8, three have been Pro-Bowlers: Maurkice Pouncey, Alex Mack, and Nick Mangold.
Mike Iupati will probably eventually be a Pro-Bowler. And, in 2011, every one of these guys, physically eligible to play (not injured), was a starter in every game, except for Watkins, who is still transitioning from playing OT.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM ]

MD regardless of whether we pick one or not, who are your top 5 WR's so far?
blackmon and Floyd. I really want a big tall mofo
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
To me, there are too many other major areas of need in the early rounds before targeting WR. Plus, selecting a WR in the first round is like witchcraft. Highly unpredictable. Find a dominant interior offensive lineman (the bust rate is much lower), and you might actually have a decent offense someday.

First round interior lineman since 2006:

2011:
Mike Pouncey
Danny Watkins

2010:
Mike Iupati
Maurkice Pouncey

2009:
Alex Mack

2008: None

2007:
Ben Grubbs

2006:
Davin Joseph
Nick Mangold

Of the 8, three have been Pro-Bowlers: Maurkice Pouncey, Alex Mack, and Nick Mangold.
Mike Iupati will probably eventually be a Pro-Bowler. And, in 2011, every one of these guys, physically eligible to play (not injured), was a starter in every game, except for Watkins, who is still transitioning from playing OT.

It would be very hard to pass-up on a potentially elite WR. However, with the astonishing depth at the position in this coming draft, we COULD do exactly what you've mentioned. Heck, WR wasn't super deep last year and Torrey Smith fell to the end of the 2nd round.

Depending on how players move as we get closer to the draft, we could have a 1-2-3 draft combination of something like:

1. Markelle Martin-FS-Oklahoma State
2. Barret Jones-OL-Alabama
3. Donnie Fletcher-CB-Boston College

Still lots of time though. Barrett Jones could be a first rounder, when it's all said and done, if he declares. Also, say when Edwards gets healthy, he tears it up and then wants to re-sign.. We would have a little less reason to pick a WR early.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:39 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It would be very hard to pass-up on a potentially elite WR. However, with the astonishing depth at the position in this coming draft, we COULD do exactly what you've mentioned. Heck, WR wasn't super deep last year and Torrey Smith fell to the end of the 2nd round.

Depending on how players move as we get closer to the draft, we could have a 1-2-3 draft combination of something like:

1. Markelle Martin-FS-Oklahoma State
2. Barret Jones-OL-Alabama
3. Donnie Fletcher-CB-Boston College

Still lots of time though. Barrett Jones could be a first rounder, when it's all said and done, if he declares. Also, say when Edwards gets healthy, he tears it up and then wants to re-sign.. We would have a little less reason to pick a WR early.

I was thinking of a draft a bit similar:

1. Alfonzo Dennard
2. Markelle Martin
3. Dwight Jones
Jermaine Kearse from Washington is a sleeper
Share 49ersWebzone