LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Da'Quan Bowers finished?

From ESPN:

Quote:
Given the amount of chatter on Da'Quan Bowers' knee leading up to the NFL Draft, it wasn't completely surprising that he fell out of the first round, so we waited patiently as the second round unfolded. Finally, at No. 51 overall, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected the player who at one time was thought to be in the mix for the No. 1 pick.

With that wait over, the next part of the process is projecting what kind of a contribution he'll make to his new team both in the short- and long-term. With that in mind, a beat writer that covers another team who was looking for pass-rush help in the draft has some chilling information to pass along this week.

"The question is whether [Bowers] ever plays at a high level. There is concern by most teams that he might be essentially finished," Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports. "On some level, you have to applaud Tampa Bay for taking him. But there is a large number of people who have seen the medical report from when he was re-checked in April that believe he is done."

Yowza. Well, we won't get a good read on how well Bowers will be able to compete until the Bucs' offseason program gets going and he goes up against live competition. But if this doubt is as widespread as Acee says it is, Bowers is facing long odds to become the player we'd once envisioned.

- Tim Kavanagh
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Did he play last year on the same knee or this a knew injury that happened recently ??
A lot of people said the same thing about Gore pre and post-draft. Don't discount people's will to succeed, even in the face of physical injury.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
A lot of people said the same thing about Gore pre and post-draft. Don't discount people's will to succeed, even in the face of physical injury.

yup, that's exactly why Gore fell so far in the draft. He was looked at as "first round talent"
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

yup, that's exactly why Gore fell so far in the draft. He was looked at as "first round talent"

That's not completely true. The injuries to Gore were related more to the longevity of his career, not capability. He dropped because since he was always injured in college, he never really showed THAT much. So, there were durability concerns and doubts about many years he could play.

With Bowers, it's different. He had one good year, and his injuries suggest that he will never regain his explosion to begin with. So, with this threat of never playing again, and on top of that "was he a one year wonder?", he dropped.

Different in my opinion
Hopefully the young man got himself a good education at Clemson, you hate to see young guys like that with so much potential lose everything after an injury.
I really hope he can play for at least a few years. He seems like a cool kid and I wish him the best. If not, his music career looks promissing.
Reports are he needs micro-fracture surgery. I am not aware of any player who has ever played at a high level after micro-fracture.
Who?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WINiner:
Reports are he needs micro-fracture surgery. I am not aware of any player who has ever played at a high level after micro-fracture.

Garrison Hearst

I wish him well. If they get 5 soild years out of him then it was a good pick.
It was sad to watch his workout this year. That knee did not look sound.

SI (in their post-draft issue) called him the most over-rated pick in that years draft. I can't say that enough.
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:

SI (in their post-draft issue) called him the most over-rated pick in that years draft. I can't say that enough.

Easy prognosis when he was rated as the number 1 overall prospect at one point and fell to the 2nd round. Did they say this in their "pre-draft" issue as well?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It was sad to watch his workout this year. That knee did not look sound.

Your right, his knee doesn't look sound at all. And Jarvis Jenkins was making Bowers look slower, weaker, and not as athletic at the pro-day. Jenkins hands were violent, Bowers looked slow.

For anyone who wanted to see Da'Quan's pro-day. Here's the highlights:

Share 49ersWebzone