LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Rewind the clock: Merecic or Hunter?

Rewind the clock: Merecic or Hunter?

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Hunter is a better player by far. It's not close.
The way the draft played out I would have taken Marecic in the 4th & taken Jaquizz Rodgers in the 5th. Filling 2 needs instantly, less development required.

Rodgers reminds me alot of Mcluster, with the misleading 40 time.. he wasn't caught from behind often.
hunter of course...we need a change-of-pace back for years and this guy is a steal in round 4 whereas marecic is "just" a fullback.

[ Edited by communist on May 5, 2011 at 08:54:04 ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
In my opinion, the full back position should be replaced by a blocking TE. The TE can also line up in the backfield when desired, but also shift to the line as well. I just don't see a fullback being an essential part of an offense, and is usually the least talented player on the offense.
Originally posted by communist:
hunter of course...we need a change-of-pace back for years and this guy is a steal in round 4 whereas marecic is "just" a fullback.

Was Tom Rathman just a fullback?? The FB position can be crucial to the west coast offense. Anyone remember the last couple solid FBs the 49ers have had?? Fred Beasley?? William Floyd?? These guys contributed to a lot of wins & in Floyds case a Lombardi trophy.

Anyone like myself who has actually played the game can testify as to how important & under rated the FB position is.

[ Edited by GMniner805 on May 5, 2011 at 15:45:44 ]
FB's are a thing of the past. Get with the times man.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
In my opinion, the full back position should be replaced by a blocking TE. The TE can also line up in the backfield when desired, but also shift to the line as well. I just don't see a fullback being an essential part of an offense, and is usually the least talented player on the offense.

Did you ever see Rathman or Roger Craig, when he played fullback, in the West Coast Offense?

If you did you woudl know that a full back can be something other than a blocking back.
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Hunter is the burner weve been trying to find for years. so down for this pick

Wut

People look at his size being 5'8 and assume this dude is blazing fast. He's not even close to a burner. He's shifty and has good change of direction ability as a Nebraska fan who watched plenty of other Big 12 games, I can say that more times than not, he will be run down after 20-30 yards before scoring a 60 yard touchdown.

I'll take 2 or 3 of those 20 to 30 yard runs a game please

I think we already saw last yr a te block out of the the fb position and do a very good job.Gore got 4.2 ypc more with NB in the back field than with reg.fb..

I was thinking the same. Miller fills three needs, special team, fullback and OLB. However, the niners looked at a lot of TE's and I'm sure that Harbaugh will carry more than three if what he did at Stanford comes to bear in the NFL.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
FB's are a thing of the past. Get with the times man.

I hope - after 52,000 posts - that you actually follow Football, or understand Marecic comes from Harbaugh's system - which did find a use for Marecic as a FB.

Ultimately, I'd pick Hunter over Marecic - but never discount what a good FB will be utilised as just because there are not many of them.

It's not an every down position - but Harbaugh did find ways to use FBs, RBs, WRs and TEs - sometimes going for 3 TE sets.

The FB was not a position that got a lot of touches for Stanford - but with Marecic ending with 6 TDs last season, it's safe to say Harbaugh would have used him.

So, yes, definitely Hunter. But I wish we could have picked up both.
Hunter, dude is FAST!
Originally posted by franklinfan:

I think we already saw last yr a te block out of the the fb position and do a very good job.Gore got 4.2 ypc more with NB in the back field than with reg.fb..

How many carries is that YPC based on?
Share 49ersWebzone