Hunter. Quality RB >>>>>>>>> Quality FB

This.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Hunter. Quality RB >>>>>>>>> Quality FB

This.

Yes and the FB is a dying position in the modern NFL.
Hunter, no doubt.

I would've loved Marecic, but I think we drafted Bruce Miller to be Harbaugh's Niner version of Marecic; someone that can play both ways.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Hunter is the burner weve been trying to find for years. so down for this pick

Wut

People look at his size being 5'8 and assume this dude is blazing fast. He's not even close to a burner. He's shifty and has good change of direction ability as a Nebraska fan who watched plenty of other Big 12 games, I can say that more times than not, he will be run down after 20-30 yards before scoring a 60 yard touchdown.

If he is getting 20-30 yards before he gets run down, he is doing a very good job of running.

Also if we just play him in the red zone, that problem will be eliminated.

He's not a burner, this is true. A 4.53 40 at the Combine doesn't earn a Taiwan Jones "burner" tag.
However, the guy has more moves in his arsenal than a U-Haul fleet, is a competent and willing blocker, and can catch the ball.

While Mr. Marecic would clearly fit Harbaugh's preferred style of FB, he doesn't provide the prominence and value that Kendall does.
I love the pick.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
can we please get over Merecic allready, for the three months leading up to the draft was bad enough but now its over. I have never seen people so exited about a FB.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Hunter was the BPA. 2nd round value vs. a 4th-5th round guy. Easy choice.
Originally posted by D-Money:
RB before FB all day.

starting fullback vs backup running back...marecic would have started though, hunter wont---

id still take hunter
havili over merecic!
I much rather have drafted Hunter & Marecic than Culliver & Hunter

Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for mebemused.
Harbaugh wanted Merecic, but he went to Cleveland before we could pick him. I think he will be a complete FB, one of the best in the draft.

But Hunter will gain many more total yards than Merecic. Use a 6th or 7th round pick on a FB.

Or sign Henry Hynoski who went undrafted, and had a very high scouting grade on National Football Post.
DEFINITELY Mericic... Bit only because I would take Hunter in the 3rd! Again I'll ask...who the F*** is Culliver???
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by D-Money:
RB before FB all day.

starting fullback vs backup running back...marecic would have started though, hunter wont---

This. Throw in the fact that Marecic knows Harbaugh's offense, he would've been the odd rookie that knows the system over the veterans.

In the long run though, you're looking at a second round talent vs. a fourth/fifth round talent.
So... Everyone sounds quite sure that a hb is so superior to a fb. But quality fbs are getting very hard to find. Personally I'm beginning to think that harbaugh has sometime else in mind from the offense he ran in college.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AkNiners:
So... Everyone sounds quite sure that a hb is so superior to a fb. But quality fbs are getting very hard to find. Personally I'm beginning to think that harbaugh has sometime else in mind from the offense he ran in college.

There are 3 or 4 FA Fullbacks that we can easily sign to replace Norris, and those players may even compete for a pro-bowl spot:

Vonta Leach - Texans (WCO experienced)
Tony Richardson - Jets (Experience with Solari)
Lawrence Vickers - Browns (Underrated)
Naufahu Tahi - Vikings (WCO experienced)

And these guys can easily be signed for a 2 year, 3M or 4M contract. To get a proven speedy back in FA would cost 2M-3M extra per year.

[ Edited by GEEK on May 5, 2011 at 05:46:04 ]
Share 49ersWebzone