LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Trade our 2nd and 3rd picks

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
still not a good idea

I fail to see how, have we really got our cornerstone QB, or we did we get a QB because we panicked and took one for the sake of taking him. Now he is ours I really hope he does well, but I would have preferred to have more picks next year.

You don't trade all your picks for next year...you want to show the fan base, the players in the locker room, and everyone else in the NFL that you will do everything possible to win.

What is Harbaugh going to tell the locker room? "Yea, I don't think you're any good, and doubt can win any games in 2011, so I'm waiting till 2012 to bring in help with multiple first round picks. In the meantime, we will continue to lose - which may result in you losing your job or even career...but please play hard for me in 2012."

Your so called "idea" makes no sense - why'd Baalke/Harbaugh trade the picks for next year's draft? What if we go 0-16 or 1-15 in 2011? They may not even be back - and I doubt another owner will trust Harbaugh when he can't trust himself to turn things around asap.
f**k, this thread is dumb
49ersmylife

Basically you called me stupid, "you don't trade all your picks for next years". Its funny how Bill Belichick trades a lot of picks to arm himself for the next year, its called planning a head, playing chess instead of checkers, foresight, the list goes on. You want to talk about "what is that telling the locker", that makes no sense at all. Are you saying that this crop of rookies are going to be game changers THIS season?, it sounds like you are. If anything they would be saying "hey I believe in you guys to get the job done", failing that they could just say to the locker room, "hey we don't know how the lockout will turn out and we'd hate to draft some rookies that might not develop well because we can't teach them right off the bat, bare with us we have a plan". You act as if the locker room is full of school girls that get their feelings hurt (well maybe Crabtree).

Plus who ever said of using 2 first round picks for next years draft any way, you might find a great Vet to trade for, you might want to trade the pick for more future picks, or you might just use them, the key there is that we'd have options, however no we took a solid QB from a Mickey Mouse system, SWEET!!! (Keep in mind SD just cut a rookie that looks much better than our 2nd round pick). If we go 1-15 this year, you bet your arse we are taking Luck, thus mean we are Carolina 2.0, just with a better upside.

IF we go 0-16 or 1-15 Harbaugh would not lose his job, neither would Baalke. You expect a team with a brand new coach, new system with no prep time (offseason) is going to make a huge playoff run? The fan base should realise that this season might be broken before it even started because of the lockout.

As I stated before, my train of thought is practiced by Bill Belichick, who most experts label him as a draft guru, call me stupid, I don't care, I prefer to have creative thinking as to being a sheep.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
f**k, this thread is dumb

I don't care what your opinion is
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
still not a good idea

I fail to see how, have we really got our cornerstone QB, or we did we get a QB because we panicked and took one for the sake of taking him. Now he is ours I really hope he does well, but I would have preferred to have more picks next year.

You don't trade all your picks for next year...you want to show the fan base, the players in the locker room, and everyone else in the NFL that you will do everything possible to win.

What is Harbaugh going to tell the locker room? "Yea, I don't think you're any good, and doubt can win any games in 2011, so I'm waiting till 2012 to bring in help with multiple first round picks. In the meantime, we will continue to lose - which may result in you losing your job or even career...but please play hard for me in 2012."

Your so called "idea" makes no sense - why'd Baalke/Harbaugh trade the picks for next year's draft? What if we go 0-16 or 1-15 in 2011? They may not even be back - and I doubt another owner will trust Harbaugh when he can't trust himself to turn things around asap.

You know how everyone was saying Harbaugh was the #1 free agent of the 2011 year, not Nnamdi. They weren't kidding around, we committed to Harbaugh and Baalke long term with one instruction "bring the 9ers back to the top tier of the nfl". You can't do that overnight let alone a 6 week training camp learning a new system and sorting through which players fit the system best all the way until 5 days before we open the season. Just imagine what kind of talent we could bring to this team if we had 5 or 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of next years draft, let alone another 10-12 # of picks like we had this year. We aren't trying to win the next 16 games, we're trying to win for next 16 years.

On the locker room's state of mind and how they will approach this year, I've got a good feeling it's going to be something like this.....
Harbaugh is going to tell the locker room "Go out and play ball. You'll win some and you'll lose some but we're going to get to greatness if we work hard."

I wrote in other post that we have no allegiance to any players on this team, you can bet your ass that we will continue to shell out players(regardless of draft status or contract) that don't fit the concept of the new systems. Also to address Aussie49er's question about why we drafted a QB, we took a QB(Kaepernick) to appease the fan base and to give Harbaugh someone to mold and hopefully turn into gold but you can safely assume that we could be holding Josh Johnson or the idea of drafting another QB next year in our back pocket should he not make a significant amount of progress this year.

Back to the idea of trading picks or players in an effort to stockpile picks over the next few years.....We might not go nuts on draft day but if the last 2 years, especially this year's draft have shown us anything it's that Baalke is not afraid to make trades and with a likeminded coach and the blessings of the ownership to put together a long lasting winning team, don't be surprised if we are very active with trades to get who we want.
Share 49ersWebzone