LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Trade our 2nd and 3rd picks

Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Gee New England doing what I said we should do.

New England doesn't have our holes. NE selected two people in the third round, they could afford to do what you said we should do.

Now that the third is over for us, time to lock again.

In your opinion have these 3 picks really filled holes? I mean the NFL network had the CB going in the 6th. Just heard our QB might have fallen to the 3rd. Its all panic. I'd prefer no pick than a panic pick.

PLUS, since what I said about the lockout back on, if they allow a full stay it could 1 to 2 months until that is lifted. The harsh reality is that there might not be a season. If there is it won't be pretty for our team regardless on whether we address holes this year or next year.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

New England doesn't have our holes. NE selected two people in the third round, they could afford to do what you said we should do.

In your opinion have these 3 picks really filled holes? I mean the NFL network had the CB going in the 6th. Just heard our QB might have fallen to the 3rd. Its all panic. I'd prefer no pick than a panic pick.

PLUS, since what I said about the lockout back on, if they allow a full stay it could 1 to 2 months until that is lifted. The harsh reality is that there might not be a season. If there is it won't be pretty for our team regardless on whether we address holes this year or next year.

Pass rusher, QB, and DB. Yes , yes, and yes, all three areas of need, so yes they filled holes.

kaepernick wasn't going in the third. And the DB, some had rated as third rounder others later, so... If you want to base your opinion solely on the NFL network that's fine, but just like professional scouts and GMs they miss on picks too.

And if there is no season, then exactly, what does it matter if we fill holes this year or next year. No one can say for certain that next years draft will be any better at our positions of need.

You made your point, you think we should have traded all of our picks and gone in to the season with the same team that got us to 6-10, and drafted nothing but pro bowlers next year. Well bad news, we didn't, we drafted a athletic young guy in the first three rounds. Water under the bridge now.

Pass rusher, QB, and DB. Yes , yes, and yes, all three areas of need, so yes they filled holes.

kaepernick wasn't going in the third. And the DB, some had rated as third rounder others later, so... If you want to base your opinion solely on the NFL network that's fine, but just like professional scouts and GMs they miss on picks too.

And if there is no season, then exactly, what does it matter if we fill holes this year or next year. No one can say for certain that next years draft will be any better at our positions of need.

You made your point, you think we should have traded all of our picks and gone in to the season with the same team that got us to 6-10, and drafted nothing but pro bowlers next year. Well bad news, we didn't, we drafted a athletic young guy in the first three rounds. Water under the bridge now.

They really filled a hole did they. So could have signing a pass rushing LB, a QB and a CB. They filled the paper roster void, but did they really fill any holes? We won't know so you can't say they did anymore than I can say they didn't.

I never stated anything about drafting nothing but Pro Bowlers but at the same time having more picks allows us to arm ourselves with more options in a draft to get the players we want, as opposed to hoping they drop to us.

Also if there is a canceled season I'd prefer to have player who are still in football shape as opposed to rookies who have sat out a whole football year.

Oh and lets not kid ourselves, we were a 6-10 team last year with a very bad coach and still came close to beating the defending SB champs a very close to 2 or 3 more wins. I honestly think JH will provide much better leadership and I would sacrifice this entire draft (well most of it judging from these picks) for a shot at reuniting him with Luck.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
we should have traded our 1st rd pick for anyones' next year's first. our second and third this year for someone's 1st next year. Then take all 3 of our 1st picks next year to grab andrew luck!

this is madden right?

You realize that is exactly what Belechik and the Pats are doing. Luck will be going to the Pats in 2012.
The problem with your plan, Aussie, is that it isn't extreme enough. I think we should just tank the whole season by forfiting. Then grab luck in 2012.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
The problem with your plan, Aussie, is that it isn't extreme enough. I think we should just tank the whole season by forfiting. Then grab luck in 2012.

If there is a season to tank. Though i'm not in favour of tanking. I believe having options in next years draft, far outweighed any need in this years draft.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran

They really filled a hole did they. So could have signing a pass rushing LB, a QB and a CB. They filled the paper roster void, but did they really fill any holes? We won't know so you can't say they did anymore than I can say they didn't.

I never stated anything about drafting nothing but Pro Bowlers but at the same time having more picks allows us to arm ourselves with more options in a draft to get the players we want, as opposed to hoping they drop to us.

Also if there is a canceled season I'd prefer to have player who are still in football shape as opposed to rookies who have sat out a whole football year.

Oh and lets not kid ourselves, we were a 6-10 team last year with a very bad coach and still came close to beating the defending SB champs a very close to 2 or 3 more wins. I honestly think JH will provide much better leadership and I would sacrifice this entire draft (well most of it judging from these picks) for a shot at reuniting him with Luck.

You make decent points, but even if the season is canceled, a year still passes. 21 and 22 year olds get a year older and more mature. Particularly Smith and Kap who have a lot of growing to to do in their current frames. There are some advantages to getting players with upside in a potential lost season.
Originally posted by Nuns:

You make decent points, but even if the season is canceled, a year still passes. 21 and 22 year olds get a year older and more mature. Particularly Smith and Kap who have a lot of growing to to do in their current frames. There are some advantages to getting players with upside in a potential lost season.

I'm hoping if the season is canceled then once a CBA is in place the coaches and player have workouts in place of games. If the season is canceled and the coaches say "well boys seeya next off season", then by far these will be the worst picks in 49ers history.
I heart Troy Smith
Even the most optimistic 49er fan must be having some doubts about how good we will be this season, with that in mind I would like to point out again, the best route we could have gone was as I stated in my original post, should have traded this years picks away to better arm ourselves for future drafts.

Even the most optimistic 49er fan must be having some doubts about how good we will be this season, with that in mind I would like to point out again, the best route we could have gone was as I stated in my original post, should have traded this years picks away to better arm ourselves for future drafts.

still not a good idea
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:

still not a good idea

This. I'd rather see how the season is going then tank if need be.

I agree with you.
Originally posted by boooby:

I agree with you.

Great username! I like booobies.
[ Edited by English on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
still not a good idea

I fail to see how, have we really got our cornerstone QB, or we did we get a QB because we panicked and took one for the sake of taking him. Now he is ours I really hope he does well, but I would have preferred to have more picks next year.
Share 49ersWebzone