There are 138 users in the forums

DeMarcus Ware vs Aldon Smith

In case anyone is interested... Scouting reports from both

DeMarcus Ware........
Demarcus is an excellent edge rusher with outstanding speed and change of direction agility. He lacks the ideal frame you look for in an every-down end and could be limited to situational duties in the NFL because of his lack of bulk. However, if one should watch his battles against 344-pound tackle Nate Griffin (Marshall) and 330-pounder Andrew Whitworth (LSU) in 2004, you will see a player that compensates for a lack of size with a relentless motor and excellent lateral agility.

He is a fluid and flexible runner who plays at a low pad level and has proven to be very successful playing off the edge. Even with his long arms, when he works in-line, he struggles to disengage when the larger blockers lock on to him. However, he shows excellent snap anticipation ability and easily eludes blockers with his initial burst into the backfield. When he gets an edge on an offensive lineman's shoulder, he is quick to turn the corner and shows urgency closing on the passer.

Ware can make opposite field plays due to his acceleration and has exceptional ability to come off the edge to collapse the pocket and reach the quarterback. He is a superb chase guy who moves easily coming from the backside. Despite giving up considerable bulk to offensive linemen, he has the strength to get a good push off blocks, redirect and string plays out. He is relentless in pursuit and does a nice job of staying low in his pads to deliver crunching tackles on the move.

Demarcus is instinctive and plays with good field vision. Ware shows nice flexibility to leverage at the point of attack and has the lateral slide to avoid blocks on the move. He is a solid wrap-up tackler who can punish runners with his hitting ability. He shows good hand usage and extension to stave off the blockers trying to get into his chest, but if they lock on, he can be neutralized. He will then try to overcompensate, taking wrong angles to the ball or fail to control his momentum by getting too far upfield to make the play.

Ware has a very strong hand punch and good arm extension. He is strong at the point and knows how to squeeze and leverage blockers. He has raw pass rush technique and needs to develop better counter moves, as he relies mostly on his sudden burst to make plays in the backfield. He lacks polish in his backpedal and is not experienced in dropping back while in man coverage.

Demarcus knows how to use his hands to reroute tight ends and backs in the short area, but will bite on play action and eyes the quarterback too long when having to play in zone coverage. He is better suited playing in space and on the move. He will make a lot of his plays coming from the backside, but when he gets too high in his stance, he will struggle to disengage trying to shoot the inside gaps.

He looks more like a Jason Taylor clone, as he is best working off the edge. Some liken him to Baltimore's Terrell Suggs, but from film review, I do not think that he has the pass coverage ability to drop back and handle zone assignments (best when making tackles in front of him). Still, his explosion and desire to make the play will make this guy one that will have to be accounted for on the field.

He will need to add bulk in order to remain a down lineman, but his frame may be at maximum growth potential. If he moves to linebacker, he is better suited to operate as a weak-side rush linebacker in a 3-4 alignment in order to get value from him immediately.

Aldon Smith.........

Pass rush: Great length and upper-body development with room to grow and become a top-notch pass rusher. When given the green light to attack the passer, he is able to turn the corner or quickly go outside-in to get a more direct path to the QB. Uses strength to get movement in his bull rush; able to release with his hands to harass a scrambling passer. Moves inside to a three-technique spot on some plays to take advantage of his quickness, as well as his height, to disrupt passing lanes (seven pass breakups in 2009-2010). Jumps over and uses his hands to beat cut blocks.

Run defense: Potentially strong edge run defender as 4-3 end or 3-4 linebacker. Stays balanced out of his stance, extends his arms to keep distance, able to shed to get to the ball on either side of the block. Good backfield awareness. Willing to lower his shoulder and stand his ground against pulling guards and moving tight ends. Gets down the line while engaged to be involved on inside runs. Beats reach blocks to get into the backfield.

Explosion: Still more potential than practice as a pure outside pass rusher, but shows glimpses of explosive ability on the edge. Pops his man with big swipes to get past blockers. Brings a punch in his bull rush, sometimes knocking back even strong college tackles.

Strength: Plays stronger than his height/weight numbers indicate. Does not give up room when holding the line. Violent with his hands, able to push aside blockers when rushing the passer or shedding to chase ballcarriers. Still requires time in pro strength and conditioning to gain 15-20 pounds before becoming a three-down player as a 4-3 defensive end.

Tackling: Uses his long, strong arms to wrap up quarterbacks and ballcarriers in the backfield; can chop down hard to force fumbles. Speedy chase tackler who closes well for his size due to that length, hustle, and straight-line speed. Misses tackles when leaving his feet early or short-arming (ducking his head and not fully extending.)

Intangibles: Right fibula fractured against San Diego State in October 2010; fracture was high enough above ankle and below the knee so it could heal on its own without surgery. Returned just three weeks later and played hurt for the rest of the season. Only a redshirt sophomore, which is a positive given his upside, but some might view as negative given his relative lack of experience.

Compares to: Jarvis Moss, Raiders -- Scouts figured Moss' length and speed off the edge would be difficult for offensive tackles to handle, and despite his uneven career to date, will value Smith's similar build because of the importance of pass rushers.
I was tempted to post a didn't read lol pic but I honestly think he could pan out into a dominant pass rusher

[ Edited by YungAce on Apr 29, 2011 at 00:51:45 ]
Originally posted by YungAce:
I was tempted to post a didn't read lol pic but I honestly think he could pan out into a dominant pass rusher

Didn't read. lol

It is a lot to read and I had a feeling I was going to get my Test A Calls busted but I was reading Ware's old analysis and comparing and I was actually quite shocked at how similiar they seemed so I figured I would share incase anyone was interested... That being said i'm not exactly happy they say Smith is closest to Jarvis Moss considering I only know him b/c the Gators are my favorite college team...
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

Didn't read. lol

Originally posted by DarthNiner:

Didn't read. lol

!!!!!!

[ Edited by YungAce on Apr 29, 2011 at 04:52:20 ]
What are the short shuttle comparisons, the 3 cone drill comparison? Again, the 40 doesn't mean much with sackmasters
never heard of, or seen the dude until we drafted him. First thing that stood out to me was how long his arms are. I have faith in Harbaugh and his staff. So.......yea, guess we'll see.
Name: *Aldon Smith (+) Coming off leg injury
College: Missouri Number: 85
Height: 6-4 Weight: 263
Position: DE Pos2: OLB
Class/Draft Year: rSo/2011
40 Time: 4.74 40 Low: 4.67 40 High: 4.86
Projected Round: 1 Stock: High: Mid 1 Low: 2
Rated number 6 out of 124 DE's 19 / 2088 TOTAL

Combine Results

Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6042
Weight: 263
40 Yrd Dash: 4.74
20 Yrd Dash: 2.70
10 Yrd Dash: 1.66 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.50
3-Cone Drill: 7.19
4.60/4.69/4.79 40 range before Combine - C

Dates: 03/17/11
Height: 6042
Weight: 263
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84441&draftyear=2011&genpos=DE

Name: DeMarcus Ware
College: Troy Number: 94
Height: 6-4 Weight: 251
Position: OLB Pos2: Pass Rush End
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2005
40 Time: 4.56 40 Low: 40 High:
Projected Round: 1 Stock:
Rated number 2 out of 109 OLB's 16 / 1451 TOTAL

Combine Results

Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: yes
Height: 6040
Weight: 251
40 Yrd Dash: 4.56
20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'02"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.07
3-Cone Drill: 6.85

Dates: 03/10/2005
Height: 6040
Weight: 251
40 Yrd Dash: 4.53
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=55196&draftyear=2005&genpos=OLB

In other words he does not compare to D. Ware...................CLOSE TOPIC
From a physical standpoint, Justin Tuck is a better comparison for Aldon.

Interesting that Ware has a better time at 40 and 10 yards but Smith was better at 20. Also noted that Smith is same height but 12 pounds heavier...with room to grow. Overall, attitude is more important than times and Smith is known to be tough and aggressive. Good pick.
For you guys that have never heard of him, you're in for a treat. Also, where the f*** have you been the past few months? He was a top 15 pick on nearly all mock drafts
When DeMarcus Ware needs pass rushing tips he goes to Aldon Smith.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
When DeMarcus Ware needs pass rushing tips he goes to Aldon Smith.
  • lyer
  • Veteran
im excited to see what he can do, regardless of what anyone thinks. (expect for the 9ers)
Share 49ersWebzone