There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lowell Cohn on Aldon Smith

Originally posted by dj43:
I agree with Cohn for one of the rare occasions.

Drafting a pass rusher is much more important to the defense than a CB. Peterson would have been nice as a replacement for Clements but he wouldn't make the rest of the secondary better. Smith will.

I went from Miller to Quinn over Peterson or Prince. I am satisfied with Aldon Smith.

As to reach, well, MD and OTC had him at #11 so that isn't much of a reach. I would say that Baalke got his man.

He is not a reach at all. The guy was projected to go to Redskins, Texans, and others right after them in several mocks. People calling him a reach were just not paying attention.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
People are calling this a 'reach', but I think it was a 'steal'. This guy's gonna be the defensive gem of the 2012 season.

This pick has Fangio's thumbprint on it more than it does Baalke's.

Wow! You're starting to sound like me. After reading every article on Google with the name Aldon Smith, I have become a believer. I am so excited about this pick, I will be sleeping with sweet dreams. What kind of psycho plays a full college season with a broken/fractured leg? That's the kind of kid I want on my team. He is confident, built like a freak, loves football, young and is a good kid. SCORE!!!
Originally posted by 190836:
Here is the great Lowell Cohn article on Aldon Smith.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110428/NEWS/110429356/1057/SPORTS0908?p=all&tc=pgall

I still think it was a reach.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by TDNiners:
I'm just happy it wasn't Gabbert.

Seriously...! Gabbert...super over-rated on this board.

There is the positive out of this.
Cohn really likes this particular Smith. The more I read about him the more I like him. He appears to have the Patrick Willis GTA (get their ass) mentality. I have a feeling he is going to exceed a lot of expectations.
IMO the reason Aldon Smith was chosen over Quinn and Bowers was that he had nearly equal ability but he had the Justin Smith type of grit and determination. It separates the men from the ladies. A top DE has to have the sort of nasties that Deacon Jones had, Gino Marchetti and others. This guy is presently built like Manny Lawson but he could put on quite a bit of muscle. I think between Aldon and Tukuafu, we should have all we need at DE. A big guy for the middle would be nice. I was surprised they did not push harder for Peterson or Prince. On the whole, I do think they addressed the right area. I hope they can pick up some good players with the rest of th draft. They have a head start on the rest of the teams on the undrafted type players by their many sixth and 7th rounders and there may be some sleeprs there.
Originally posted by prometheus:
IMO the reason Aldon Smith was chosen over Quinn and Bowers was that he had nearly equal ability but he had the Justin Smith type of grit and determination. It separates the men from the ladies. A top DE has to have the sort of nasties that Deacon Jones had, Gino Marchetti and others. This guy is presently built like Manny Lawson but he could put on quite a bit of muscle. I think between Aldon and Tukuafu, we should have all we need at DE. A big guy for the middle would be nice. I was surprised they did not push harder for Peterson or Prince. On the whole, I do think they addressed the right area. I hope they can pick up some good players with the rest of th draft. They have a head start on the rest of the teams on the undrafted type players by their many sixth and 7th rounders and there may be some sleeprs there.

Uhh, he's more than 20 lbs heavier than Lawson, and only 21. He has the prototypical height/weight for a 3-4 OLB, Lawson was always too small for it.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110428/NEWS/110429356/1057/SPORTS0908?p=all&tc=pgall

Hello Lowell. Thanks for posting!

+3, I didn't want a QB at all at #7

I'm hoping to land Kaepernick in the 2nd without a trade, if not take Stanzi in the 3rd

I still hate your guts even if I agree with your article
Originally posted by juycho:

Yah but now it looks like Alex will be back.
Originally posted by susweel:

Wrong thread. Talk about Alex on another one.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Hello Lowell. Thanks for posting!

Notice how you never see 190836 and Lowell Cohen in the same place at the same time.

Just saying
Originally posted by susweel:

you are a one trick pony.
After almost vomiting with our selection, this is a nice positive outlook that I was searching for to read to make me feel better about the pick.

I was praying that Patrick Peterson would fall to us. And then seeing the goldmine the falcons gave up for Julio Jones I was hoping for something in that nature as well.

Well at least we weren't as stupid as the Vikings. I hope Aldon Smith turns out to be worth it. There's nothing to do now but sit back and pray that Capernick falls to us at 45.