LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

Adam Schefter says 49ers looking to trade back

The comment was said on ESPN's Sportscenter Draft Special show airing now.

I think this is a great idea as long as Miller and Peterson are gone. Trading back may give us a chance to land a solid player in the middle of the first as well as trading back up to take a QB like Ponder or Dalton.

Does this mean they may not be high on guys like Prince or Quinn? Or maybe they just have a plan and see better value in getting a mid round guy and maybe another 2nd or 3rd rounder.

What's your guys take on this? What teams do you think we could deal with outside of the obvious answer, New England? And what do you think we could get to move back to say, 17?
[ Edited by Sjceruti on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

I think this is a great idea as long as Miller and Peterson are gone. Trading back may give us a chance to land a solid player in the middle of the first as well as trading back up to take a QB like Ponder or Dalton.

What's your guys take on this? What teams do you think we could deal with outside of the obvious answer, New England? And what do you think we could get to move back to say, 17?

Yeah,he said if Peterson not there...They will look to trade down..
[ Edited by fakers23 on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fakers23:

I bet they are hoping Gabbert falls to 7 if Peterson is taken early, so they can actually trade down.
Tampa Bay ... then draft Kaep or Dalton. Maybe a wink wink nudge nudge with them for a future "trade consideration" for a certain backup QB.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

I can buy this idea.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

I bet they are hoping Gabbert falls to 7 if Peterson is taken early, so they can actually trade down.

More likely Peterson top on thier board and they don't feel Quinn,Gabbert, or Prince is worth giving top 7 money too..
If Peterson is gone and Gabbert is there, I really like the idea trading with Washington and still get Prince or Quinn. Only problem is they don't have their 3rd round pick this year. May be a 2nd next year or some combo of pics (4th and 5th).
Been saying it all along. No Peterson, Dareus or Miller, then trade down even if Gabbert is there. In fact, Gabbert would bring in a hefty return given the over-valuation of QBs. Let's say Washington or the Vikes would trade up, it would cost them a second for sure.

At #10 or #12, we could still land Amukamara as Peter King has deemed in his Mock Draft. Except, he has us trading back even with Peterson on the board with the Texans.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

I can buy this idea.
I don't see many viable trade partners. I think in all likelihood we will be stuck with the pick.

Originally posted by ninertico:
Been saying it all along. No Peterson, Dareus or Miller, then trade down even if Gabbert is there. In fact, Gabbert would bring in a hefty return given the over-valuation of QBs. Let's say Washington or the Vikes would trade up, it would cost them a second for sure.

At #10 or #12, we could still land Amukamara as Peter King has deemed in his Mock Draft. Except, he has us trading back even with Peterson on the board with the Texans.

The problem is Cleveland or Arizona could beat us to the punch. You can want to trade down all you want, but you have to be at the right place and at the right time.

I imagine Washington or Minnesota won't want to risk us taking Gabbert and will make calls to jump us.
I think Quinn's medical issue might scare them, plus he tended to slack a lot. that was his big knock was his slacking. I like this move especially if Miller, PP are gone then trade the pick. We could land Dalton in the late 1st Rd. No way Dalton is there for us in the 2nd at our current pick.

Plus what if we get another 1st RD pick next yr??????????????????????? sexy
If possible I would like them to trade the number 1 pick away for a future 1st round pick next year. I repeat "if possible"
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't see many viable trade partners. I think in all likelihood we will be stuck with the pick.

If Peterson was sitting there, he might interest teams to trade up....but then again, if Peterson was there, we'd likely take him.

So you're right, it doesn't seem likely that we'll be able to trade back, even if we wanted to.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Dallas, WSH.

Dallas wants one of the top CB's & WSH needs a QB
Share 49ersWebzone