LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Trade down partners?

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by miked1978:
If Quinn, Peterson, Miller, and Dareus are gone I wouldn't mind trading down and getting an extra pick to get Christian Ponder before our 45th pick.

I'd trade our 7th and 45th pick for NE's two 1st rounders. Here would be my ideal scnerio

NE trades up to get AJ Green/Julio Jones. We get

17. CB/DE - Prince Amukmara/Jimmy Smith/Cam Jordan
28. Christan Ponder
45. CB/DE (whichever we didn't get at #17) Marvin Austin/ Curtis Brown/ Ras I Dawling

Another scenerio would be Chicago trading up to get a WR. They could give us their 1st rounder and next years first rounder. It wouldn't help us this year but could give us wiggle room to get Andrew Luck next year.

Um . . . you traded away the 45th pick.

But otherwise, nice going.

sometimes you just have to be crafty
Let's just move back twice in the first round to the low or mid 20's range and take the QB that the FO covets, Be that Ponder, Dalton or even Kap. As we've all heard before, QBs Trump All.
The TCU QB.
In my opinion the Niner's have four critical needs this off-season:

QB
OLB
CB
NT

With Franklin looking likely to test FA, NT ranks as the 2nd most important position that needs to be filled after QB . With no NT, the Niners don't have a 3-4 defense.

The option of trading down really comes down to a simple question imho. Do the Niners think that A) Patrick Peterson will fall, or B) Prince is a franchise CB. The drop off from Prince to the next player is pretty steep from what I can see. If the Niners feel comfortable with targeting a veteran FA CB, then they could look to move down.

Here is a crazy complicated sequence of trades they could consider:

Trade #1 (this is the key to my entire theory)
San Francisco Trades:
Rd 1/pick 7 (1/7) = 1500 points
3/76= 210 points
Total = 1710

Houston Trades:
1/11 = 1250
2/42 = 480
total = 1730

This is based on the idea that the Texans really want Prince Ak, and see him as a franchise CB who can be a game changer in their secondary.

Here are three following options with either NE or San Diego.

Trade Options #2 New England:
1/17 = 950
2/60 =1250

SF from Houston
1/11 = 1250

For the Niners
At 17, the Niners would target Phil Taylor, Butler as their NT of the future. This would give the Niner's a total of 3 2nd round picks (their 45, Houston's 42, and NE's 60). This should give them plenty of ammo to trade up to get a QB in the late 1st or early second.

For the Pats
If they see a franchise player at #11, they have enough ammo to reach up and nab them.

-OR-

Trade Option #3 San Diego
SF
1/11 = 1250
7/200= 11.4
Total = 1261

SD
1/18 = 900
2/61 = 292
4/114= 66
Total =1258
Read the comments from Trade Option #2

Trade Option #4 San Diego
SF
1/11 = 1250
4/114= 66
total=1316

SD
1/18 = 900
2/50 = 400
total = 1300

Bottom line, the Niners pull of a Bill Walshian draft. They end up with a 1st round pick in the late teens to grab Phil Taylor. They also end up with 3 x 2nd round picks to cash in on the depth of this draft. They can either grab three players they like, OR they can trade back into the 1st to try to grab a QB like Ponder.

Regardless of what happens during the draft, they probably still have to spend FA money on a veteran QB and CB. But if they eliminate A. Franklin's big FA salary and cut/renegotiate Clements deal, it should open up some money to get this all done.

Whew...ok, I'm done.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
If Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, Blaine Gabbert, Marcell Dareus, Da'Quan Bowers, are all gone and the 49ers are looking to trade down; who do we trade with and who do they target?

I can only think of 3 players that teams might be willing to trade up for:
Cam Newton
AJ Green
Robert Quinn

I think we would have a lot of suitors for Cam, but who?

Would the Texan's be willing to trade up a few spots for Robert Quinn? Would Miami be willing to trade up for Cam to jump past the Vikings?

I personally think if Quinn is there when we are picking we take him.

I look forward to reading other trade scenarios.

I would still take Quinn or Prince or even a player that they thought was really special. Their top Qb or NT. Forget about draft value and projections just get good players and fill those needs. Even not being too stingy and trading back a couple of spots to gain more draft picks is the way to go. The more picks we have we can roll the dice more and find out what we got in training camp. I think we keep the 7 spot but i could maybe see us trading up with Denver and their #36 to grab our QB. I'm thinking Dalton but that's just my opinion.
I've had huge doubts about NE trading up because it's so unlike them, but they are working out Prince, so they must be tossing the idea around.

Interesting!!
Originally posted by strickac:
I've had huge doubts about NE trading up because it's so unlike them, but they are working out Prince, so they must be tossing the idea around.

Interesting!!

I think it's possible that San Diego would be a better target. They have a lot of needs to fill, but maybe.
I also was wondering how much stock do we put into this draft. I'm hopeful that we use most of the picks to hit a homerun but not all 12 draft picks will make the team. I don't know how it will shake down but I would be ok if we traded some picks this year to have more valuable picks next year. In any round if there is a guy that Baelke and Harbs like than we go for it but if the need/value aren't there we could look to trade those picks for next year. It's how New England stock-piled all their picks. I would love to land all the guys we talk about...Peterson, Ponder, M. Austin, etc... but they may not be there because other teams value them just as much. Harbaugh and the other coaches haven't even met with the team or practiced with them. Get what we can this year as far as value is concerned and maybe have a better understanding of our team with better picks next year.
What about trading with the Rams? I know it seems crazy trading with your division rival, but last year the Vikings traded their first round pick to the Lions so they could get Jahvid Best at the end of the draft.

What got me thinking about it was that it's likely AJ Green goes before #7, and many mocks have the Rams taking Julio Jones. But I think there's a possibility the Redskins could take Jones so they might be a trade partner. At 14 we could take Cameron Jordan
Originally posted by teeohh:
What about trading with the Rams? I know it seems crazy trading with your division rival, but last year the Vikings traded their first round pick to the Lions so they could get Jahvid Best at the end of the draft.

What got me thinking about it was that it's likely AJ Green goes before #7, and many mocks have the Rams taking Julio Jones. But I think there's a possibility the Redskins could take Jones so they might be a trade partner. At 14 we could take Cameron Jordan

Excellent point. I agree that Julio Jones will be a hot commodity and if the Rams want him, they will probably have to move up to get him.

So, doing the math: #7 = 1500 pts, #14 = 1100 pts. The Rams would have to give us their 1st (1100) plus their 2nd (430) and we would give them #7 (1500) and our 6th rounder #174 (22.8). They pay a little premium to move up.

At 14 I don't really LOVE any player there. I would look to trade down again to pick up more picks. Players who could garner another trade would be Mark Ingram or one of the top OT. I could see the Eagles making a move to get one of the top OT's here.

Oh, lots of options!

This isn't really a trade down per se', but if we decide to trade back up with a team at the bottom of the first this year for say a QB would you give up next years one? Part of me says yes, but if we have a terrible season and would be in a position to draft Andrew Luck without that pick that would really sting.
Originally posted by strickac:

Interesting!!

New England is really looking at corners right now. Belichek has already brought 8 corners in. They've spent a 2nd rounder or higher in the secondary for the past 3 years and with Bodden and McCourty starting it's not like it's a pressing need. Reports are Belichek really thinks you have to stack the deck at the corner position with the evolving increased punishments.

Maybe we should take note of this ourselves and take Prince.
Share 49ersWebzone