LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 401 users in the forums

Greg McELroy Bandwagon

Originally posted by WINiner:
I wouldn't mind seeing us select him with one of the last 6 picks.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Would definitely consider him in the 6th or 7th, but I hope we get another QB before then too.

Seems like he'll be a quality back up in the league.

Yeah, in fact I think it was Harbaugh who compared McElroy to a "young Mark Brunell" (in all the good, and bad ways).
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
We need a QB not a Senator

I've been on for a while.

Love this guy.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Teams that are looking for a backup should be on his bandwagon, not teams looking for a starting QB.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Teams that are looking for a backup should be on his bandwagon, not teams looking for a starting QB.

Fair enough, but what lead you to this conclusion?

Scott
Decent backup. I'll take him in the 6th.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Decent backup. I'll take him in the 6th.

Would love to have him in the 6th is where I'm projecting him to go.
He's got a pro day this week, and it'll be interesting to see who shows up and what they think. Also interesting that NFP rates him just below Kaepernick.

Given all the attention the other QB'a are getting, I wouldn't be surprised if McElroy goes higher than the 6th round. I'd like to see the 49ers pick him up.
Originally posted by jreff22:
We need a QB not a Senator

that's some fcuked up sh!t

I like McElroy. I think that he doesn't have much of a ceiling, but hopefully 6/7th round pick would work
I like, ideally round 5 or later. We need a QB so I think we should draft one in the 2nd/3rd round and another in the 5th-7th round. Heck...they might both make our roster!
Oops, I may have placed this response into a less-appropriate thread earlier.

There was once another smart, quiet, accurate, and efficient QB from Alabama, drafted in a late, late round without much fanfare: Bart Starr.

I would like to see the Niners select McElroy with one of their 7th round picks, which essentially have no trade vale for moving-up, earlier in the draft. McElroy would be the SECOND QB drafted by the Niners this year. I will leave it to Harbaugh and Baalke to select one of the other rookie QB candidates with an earlier pick.

Why not put two rookie QB's through the learning curve together, especially when one is super-smart and affordable, like McElroy? Seems like the competition and comradery between the two rookie QB's might spur their progress. It would also provide the club with a little QB insurance in this draft versus possible QB injury or bust. Seems like the effort from the coaching staff would be about the same, regardless of whether they were coaching up one or two rookies at the QB position.

As much as I would like to see the club make a move for Josh Johnson from Tampa Bay, I just don't think that the CBA situation and the compensation that Tampa Bay would want, will allow the club to execute a trade for a semi-experienced NFL QB. Thus, my preference for 2 QB's in this draft. And McElroy would bring a tradition of WINNING.
Originally posted by jimbagg:

As much as I would like to see the club make a move for Josh Johnson from Tampa Bay, I just don't think that the CBA situation and the compensation that Tampa Bay would want, will allow the club to execute a trade for a semi-experienced NFL QB. Thus, my preference for 2 QB's in this draft. And McElroy would bring a tradition of WINNING.

I think you could have 2 drafted QB's (including McElroy) AND FA Johnson in camp. Both Harbaugh and Baalke intend to have a competition for the starting QB job, and compensation for such as Johnson (or Flynn from GB) is probably the least of their concerns...they want to win!
Originally posted by Yetiman:
Originally posted by jimbagg:

I think you could have 2 drafted QB's (including McElroy) AND FA Johnson in camp. Both Harbaugh and Baalke intend to have a competition for the starting QB job, and compensation for such as Johnson (or Flynn from GB) is probably the least of their concerns...they want to win!

I just don't see the club acquiring a veteran QB via trade. Baalke etc will not want to trade future picks for a "bridge" QB. Moreover, Harbaugh will want to craft his QB-of-the-future himself. So, I expect them to sign one of the FA veteran QB's (1st choice: Hasselbeck, 2nd choice: Bulger). Kolb, Flynn, Johnson and Palmer are all off the table, as I see it. Jed won't let Harbaugh bring Alex Smith back (too many emoty seats and bad PR). Carr will likely be cut at the end of TC (use the extra arm during TC). Thus, I see the 2 rookie QB scenario as possible, hopefully behind Hasselbeck.
Share 49ersWebzone