There are 261 users in the forums

Thank God we didn't draft 'em

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by TX9R:
I was in the minority that didn't want CJ Spiller. Looks like I was right.

He's only had one season. Let's wait until his 3rd season before we can judge him.

RBs for the most part generally show in their 1st season. He wasn't just average, he was unnoticable

You could be right, but it also doesn't help that Chan Gailey preferred Fred Jackson, who played real well last season.

There are a few backs that don't produce right away:
Cedric Benson
Thomas Jones
Brian Westbrook
Michael Turner

Only one of those guys was expected to contribute and drafted accordingly. I always saw Spiller as a 3rd down guy, not a guy to carry anyone, certainly not worth a 1st round pick, which was my argument last year.

He's only had one season. Let's wait until his 3rd season before we can judge him.

RBs for the most part generally show in their 1st season. He wasn't just average, he was unnoticable

You could be right, but it also doesn't help that Chan Gailey preferred Fred Jackson, who played real well last season.

Cedric Benson
Thomas Jones
Brian Westbrook
Michael Turner

Only one of those guys was expected to contribute and drafted accordingly. I always saw Spiller as a 3rd down guy, not a guy to carry anyone, certainly not worth a 1st round pick, which was my argument last year.

Oh ok, I see where you're coming from. I still believe he'll be a legitimate running back in this league once given the opportunity.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
In 2006 I really wanted DeAngelo Williams bad as our feature back... he developed into a really good player but looking back we got 2 pretty solid players in Davis and Lawson. That's the most recent I can remember

Cedric Benson
Thomas Jones
Brian Westbrook
Michael Turner

McFadden is another high pick that started off real slow.
Originally posted by Paul:
In 2006 I really wanted DeAngelo Williams bad as our feature back... he developed into a really good player but looking back we got 2 pretty solid players in Davis and Lawson. That's the most recent I can remember

Wanted Davis and Deangelo Williams dammit! Feel in love with both of their highlights!
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
Aaron Rogers, Oh Wait.....

Aaron Rodgers probably would've failed the same way A. Smith failed. The only reason people here like Aaron Rodgers is because he looks good now.

Let's not forget that he sat down for 3yrs behind one of the best QBs at the time. Then he got to study the SAME playbook for that time and still has the SAME playbook now. When he got he chance to start...Aaron Rodgers then and now beats up that division.

I'm not taking anything away from Aaron Rodgers, I'm just saying he probably would've failed if he went through the same $@@!! as A. Smith. But we'll never know because now Rodgers is the super star "starter" that won a Super Bowl and Smith is STILL struggling to be a starter.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Wanted Davis and Deangelo Williams dammit! Feel in love with both of their highlights!

I was in love with Greg Jennings that year. Vernon Davis, Thomas Howard, and Greg Jennings was my mock draft.

The only time I've ever had a good mock.
Its amazing how many "cant miss prospects" become complete bust!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

I was in love with Greg Jennings that year. Vernon Davis, Thomas Howard, and Greg Jennings was my mock draft.

The only time I've ever had a good mock.

I actually had Vernon Davis and Manny Lawson in my proposed mock that year.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Cedric Benson
Thomas Jones
Brian Westbrook
Michael Turner

McFadden is another high pick that started off real slow.

Yea, calling Spiller a bust after 1 season is reckless. Plenty of RBs have done well after couple of seasons. Spiller had guys in front of him in Buffalo, so let's see how he does in a year or two.

I never wanted him on Niners though - we've a good back and don't have to invest a 1st round pick on a back.

Originally posted by digital9er:
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
Aaron Rogers, Oh Wait.....

Aaron Rodgers probably would've failed the same way A. Smith failed. The only reason people here like Aaron Rodgers is because he looks good now.

Let's not forget that he sat down for 3yrs behind one of the best QBs at the time. Then he got to study the SAME playbook for that time and still has the SAME playbook now. When he got he chance to start...Aaron Rodgers then and now beats up that division.

I'm not taking anything away from Aaron Rodgers, I'm just saying he probably would've failed if he went through the same $@@!! as A. Smith. But we'll never know because now Rodgers is the super star "starter" that won a Super Bowl and Smith is STILL struggling to be a starter.

I often wonder the same thing. If Alex landed in GB would he of been hoisting the Lombardi trophy last year.

I`m also pretty sure Rogers would have been a bust in SF too.

[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 23, 2011 at 15:50:12 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
As said before...Adam Carriker is the best one. There were ALOT of peeps on this board arguing for Carriker over Patrick Willis.

THANK GOD we picked Willis.

I wanted us to trade down and draft Bowe, and take Harris in the 2nd round. I'm glad we got Willis, but Bowe and Harris are pretty good players.

I know a lot of ppl rated Meachem over Bowe.
I remember so many in the zone were so high on David Green (georgia) and Adam Carriker (Nebraska).
Quentin Groves and Alan Branch. Championship.
Originally posted by kronik:
I remember so many in the zone were so high on David Green (georgia) and Adam Carriker (Nebraska).

Jarvis Moss is another guy. Funny that people here have been clamoring for a pass rusher forever. Never the right one but it's the thought that counts.
Share 49ersWebzone