LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Kaepernick, Gabbert, Mallet or Locker

Kaepernick, Gabbert, Mallet or Locker

I'm sure I'll hear the occasional "where's Newton" but I think he will be a terrible fit for Harbaugh and the west coast offense so I left him off.

I was also tempted to leave off Locker simply because I'm a huge Locker fan and I was thinking I would have a huge Locker bias but I'll leave him in and give an objective POV and go with Ryan Mallet.

I think Mallet will be there when we come up in the 2nd round or at least close enough to trade up for. If we are lucky enough to get Peterson in the 1st round I would jump all over Mallet in the 2nd unless Jake Locker is there of course.

I've been constantly hearing that Mallet's foot work is too slow and that he may have trouble turning his body to make throws and that he has off the field problems but 2 huge things I've noticed about him that have made me change my view. 1. His feet are about average and with his build I'm sure that is something he could improve on easily. If you look around the league, Big Ben, Matt Hasselbeck, Bret Favre and even Tom Brady don't have lightning quick feet but still get the job done. Also, I'm pretty sure that Harbaugh can correct this with Mallet.

The 2nd thing I've noticed is that he has the type of personality that other players gravitate to, and that he would have no trouble whatsoever leading a team. I remember at the draft they were saying that he would have players crowded around him wherever he would go, I think players will follow him and he would have no trouble at all dealing with personalites like Davis, Gore and Crabtree. Not to mention he probably has the strongest arm in the draft.

So since it doesn't seem like Niners are going to go with Locker because of his accuracy issues my 2nd choice would definitely be Ryan Mallet.... Who would yours be?
Cap

[ Edited by NickSh49 on Mar 17, 2011 at 16:11:41 ]
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Ponder
norcal09, I moved this to the draft thread as this is about that. They are not 9ers yet. Make sure to read the posting rules. Nice post though dude.

Rubber
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
norcal09, I moved this to the draft thread as this is about that. They are not 9ers yet. Make sure to read the posting rules. Nice post though dude.

Rubber

sorry... Thanks.
Where is the none option? Give me Ponder or Dalton.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
From that group of names listed above I think I would have to choose Jake Locker. I would've said Mallet if we were running more of a Coryell type offense. What I'm liking about Jake Locker is his improved mechanics, he just needs to be coached up on timing throws and touch on his passes IMO.
Originally posted by MarkD:
Ponder

so you think a mobile and accurate passer is not a good fit for a WCO?
50% for Kaepernick?? Some of you are retarded homers because we are paying him a visit.

[ Edited by jones49 on Mar 17, 2011 at 17:37:50 ]
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I've always been a CK fan since the 2010 college season ended, but from what I've been hearing and reading a bit lately... I'm starting to like this Gabbert fellow
I think Greg McElroy from Alabama is the best fit for Harbaugh's offense, and can be had in the 3rd round or maybe even the 4th.

Smart, high-percentage passer from a pro-style offense run by former NFL coaches. And he wins.

Forget the lack of a strong-arm...this is the WCO where timing and accuracy are the main requirements, and for that McElroy is the best prospect in this draft.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Where is the none option? Give me Ponder or Dalton.

Dalton probably would be the best option based on where in the draft we could get him and fit in our offense. But honestly, there is not 1 QB in this years draft that I would put money on.
Share 49ersWebzone